Versailles

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• Luggage Storage

by VenTraveler Online Now Mar 25, 2014 at 11:19 AM

Can one store luggage safely at Versailles Chateau while touring the complex?

2 Answers Mar 25, 2014 at 2:28 PM
    • elisabethsb's Profile Photo

Versailles -- free for study abroad students?

by elisabethsb Online Now Sep 23, 2013 at 2:29 PM

My friend and I are 20-year-old American college students, studying abroad for a semester in France. We both desperately want to visit Versailles, but are planning our visit around admission costs ... we've read conflicting answers about whether or not we can get into the palace/grounds for free!

First of all, we're obviously not citizens of the EU: we have American passports. We are, however, LIVING in the EU at this point in time -- we have student photo ID cards from our French university, as well as student visas and debit cards from French bank accounts. We're staying with host families here, so we have French addresses ... will all that enough to qualify as an "18-26 EU resident student"?

If it helps, we've been able to receive free entry to other national monuments (for which you also have to be an 18-26 EU resident), but not any as popular/highly-trafficked as Versailles.

15 Answers Oct 10, 2013 at 11:14 PM
    • What's accessible on days with Grandes Eaux Musicales

by KJoyHanson Online Now Sep 23, 2013 at 1:05 PM

We are planning our first trip to Paris this coming weekend. Arriving Saturday, leaving Wednesday morning, so our only chance to see Versailles will be Sunday or Tuesday. The website says: "Please note that during the Grandes Eaux musicales (musical water shows), the musical gardens and the shows, the gardens and the grove are not accessible to the holders of the pass. "

What does this mean exactly? Does that mean that if we go on Sunday (a day for the Grandes Eaux Musicales) that we would not be able to see the gardens and the grove? Or that we'd need to buy a separate ticket? Or that they aren't accessible DURING the show but we could see the gardens/grove before or after?

Merci -- thank you so much for your help!

Kristine

2 Answers Sep 23, 2013 at 4:07 PM
    • versailles tours

by d007mog Online Now Sep 5, 2013 at 1:56 PM

can someone please recommend a tour company for a half day tour of Versailles
      with emphasis on the inside of the palace. we would prefer an early leave from paris
      to maximize the time in the palace

thank you

1 Answer Sep 6, 2013 at 2:39 AM
    • versailles tour

by d007mog Online Now Sep 5, 2013 at 1:33 PM

can someone please recommend a tour company for a half day tour of Versailles
      with emphasis on the inside of the palace. we would prefer an early leave from paris
      to maximize the time in the palace

thank you

3 Answers Sep 9, 2013 at 9:03 AM
    • Gardens of Versaille

by trengrove Online Now Aug 23, 2013 at 1:11 PM

Could a fellow tourist tell me what the gardens are like at the end of August we have been at the beginning of October and were dissaponted we are lucky enough to be back there next week.
      Thanks T&J

8 Answers Aug 27, 2013 at 8:48 PM
    • Taxi Paris to Versailles

by ecbs Online Now Aug 23, 2013 at 11:09 AM

Bonjour! I'm travelling to Paris and visiting Chateau Versailles on Sun 13 October 13 with my 82 year old parents.
      I'm considering catching a Taxi from central Paris to make the day easier on my parents - conserve their energy for the Chateau!
      Can anyone tell me how easy this will be?
      Do the Paris taxi's travel to Versailles?
      Do I need to book them?
      Is it easy to catch a taxi from the palace back to central Paris?
      Your help would be greatly appreciated :)

15 Answers Apr 16, 2014 at 1:55 AM
    • tango_jd's Profile Photo

Versailles - DIY or trip?

by tango_jd Online Now Aug 21, 2013 at 4:18 AM

Hi, I have been to Paris loads of times and to Versailles once - then, we opted for a coach trip and all the entry tickets etc were laid-on. We are going again in December with two friends who have never visted before and were thinking of hopping-on a train to Versailles and doing the trip ourselves so as to give us more flexibility with times etc. Is there a huge difference in the queueing times, or am I likely to be delayed much as compared with organised tour groups? I hoped that members who have done this trip might advise how I should play it - especially since December in paris can be quite crowded.

Also, which are the best stations to depart from and arrive at?

7 Answers Aug 27, 2013 at 10:42 PM
    • Transportation from Versailles palace to France Miniature park

by Carmenviz Online Now Aug 11, 2013 at 9:30 AM

What is the best way to get to France Miniature park from the place of Versailles?

2 Answers Aug 11, 2013 at 11:58 AM
    • placido2745's Profile Photo

Versailles - Busy Christmas to New Year?

by placido2745 Online Now Jul 23, 2013 at 3:13 PM

Hi,
      We will be visiting Versailles on or around 28th December 2013. We are hoping that we will miss the hoards of tourists at this time. Can anyone enlighten us on whether we will miss them?
      Thanks in advance!

5 Answers Jul 26, 2013 at 5:29 AM
    • gwened's Profile Photo

Anybody else is coming to Versailles or Paris

by gwened Online Now Jan 18, 2013 at 1:22 PM

members.virtualtourist.com/m...

that is my listing for Paris

members.virtualtourist.com/m...

that is my listing for Versailles

IF can get a min of 10, I would get group rates on the visits like the eiffel and chateau.

Cheers

3 Answers Jan 19, 2013 at 10:09 AM
    • Versailles trip

by havard.meling23456 Online Now Dec 18, 2012 at 1:25 AM

what will u recommend i i am going to versailles. Just wondering.

5 Answers Apr 16, 2013 at 2:05 AM
    • versailles at christmastime

by saraec Online Now Sep 4, 2012 at 2:12 PM

hello, my husband and i are planning a visit to versailles (taking a train from paris). can you tell me if versailles will be decorated for christmas (dec. 16th) at that time?

1 Answer Sep 7, 2012 at 12:54 PM
    • Grandes Eaux musicales - Worth it?

by hooptravel Online Now Apr 17, 2012 at 10:55 AM

I'm researching our trip to Paris, and am trying to decide if we should try to do the musical fountain show at Versailles. We are flexible on our dates to go to Versailles and I'm wondering if we should try to GO during the musical fountain shows? Or avoid going then since our Pass won't allow us access and it may be extra crowded? It's our anniversary so I'd love to see something extra special but only if it's worth the hassle :)

On the Pass website: "Please note that during the « Grandes Eaux musicales (musical water shows), the musical gardens and the shows, the gardens and the grove are not accessible to the holders of the PARIS MUSEUM PASS"

4 Answers Apr 19, 2012 at 12:33 PM
    • SandiM's Profile Photo

Which station?

by SandiM Online Now Mar 22, 2011 at 9:25 PM

In April we'll be staying at a hotel near the Sevres-Lecourbe station. We want to visit Versailles on a Sunday (not Easter). Which RER-C station is closest (or easiest) to get to from our hotel (we're 2 older ladies on foot) and how early do they start from that station and what is the frequency? Cost? Many thanks!

6 Answers May 28, 2012 at 5:08 PM
    • Ms Anita Sachs

by anitasachs Online Now Oct 22, 2010 at 11:28 AM

I would like to know how much does it cost to go from Paris to Verssailles by bus and how long does it take. Can I use Carte D'Orange for the trip?

7 Answers Aug 3, 2012 at 5:33 AM
    • goodfish's Profile Photo

Couple of questions about visiting the chateau/gardens

by goodfish Online Now Sep 1, 2010 at 8:41 AM

My apologies in advance if these questions have been covered but I seem unable to find solid information!

We will visit the palace on a Wed. or Thursday (mid-september) as we'll be using our Paris Museum passes and there will be no special events on those days that the pass won't cover - such as Jardins Musicaux.

We'll take the RER C from Musee d'Orsay as that's the closest to us. Will ask for return (rétour) tickets and that will get us two - one to the palace and one to come back with, right? RER tickets don't need validation - that's done just by insertion into the turnstiles, right? I know to hang onto them for exiting the station.

I see that the gardens are open an hour before the palace and we plan to be there early. For the life of me I can't see on a map where you enter the gardens? Or should we just plan on being in the ticket-holder entrance line (Gate A) by 8:30 to enter the palace before it gets too busy?

I also can't find a complete list of items - other than strollers, luggage and large umbrellas - that are not allowed in the palace. I see food is also forbidden yet many visitors mention that they bring their own bottled beverages, snacks and even lunches. Do you simply check those items upon entry to the palace and retrieve them on your way out?

Although audio guides are nice, we usually opt to purchase a printed tour guide (book) instead as then we have the information/pictures when we get home. Has anyone purchased one at the entrance to the palace that they found particularly good both for self touring and as a nice souvenir to take home? One with a good map inside would be especially nice. Good books/guides from places we've been to get used over and over at our house. :)

If it looks like rain on Wed and Thursday, we might have to go on Tuesday.
      Any idea how much extra the Jardins Musicaux would be on top of our museum passes, and if we have to stand in a long, long line JUST for tickets to the garden on that day? The website is unclear on that. It's also unclear in this event includes the ENTIRE garden or just parts that can be skipped. We will want to walk out the Trianons and the hamlet, and wouldn't miss those amazing gardens anyway!

4 Answers Sep 1, 2010 at 12:19 PM
    • accomodations

by anneelama Online Now Jul 14, 2010 at 9:03 AM

interested in visiting the Gardens...
      what is an affordable accomodation? bed and breakfast... motel... guest house... whatever.......

3 Answers Mar 4, 2011 at 9:54 AM
    • Buying Versailles tickets in Paris? children free? lines? biking the gardens? - 4 questions

by michelledriscoll Online Now Jul 5, 2010 at 7:59 AM

Greetings! I will be visiting Versailles Palace on Friday, August 13, bringing with me 3 children, ages 11, and 16.

1) I read a recent post about buying tickets in Paris at FNAC. Can anyone please verify this?
      2)I see on the Versailles website that under 18s are free. Would we still have to wait in the line to purchase tickets?
      3) we'll be visiting on a Friday, will we have to pay extra for the gardens?
      4) can we bicycle the gardens? if so, how and where can we rent.

Thank you all!

1 Answer Jul 8, 2010 at 7:59 AM
    • restaurant reservations

by Aperi Online Now Jun 30, 2010 at 8:11 AM

Hello,
      Visiting in August with my husband and daughter.
      Is there a reservation needed for the restaurants at Versailles? (La Petite Venice or La Flottille)
      Thanks in advance

1 Answer Jun 30, 2010 at 8:25 AM
    • Planning a visit to Versailles on Bastille Day!

by balletomane Online Now Jun 29, 2010 at 9:13 AM

I would very much like to see Les Grands Eaux Musicales and since I won't be in Paris during the weekend, I can only visit on July 14--of all days! Anyway, my question is, how early and till what time does the train from and to Paris run? My main goal is to see the Trianons because the last time I went to Versailles a couple years ago, I only managed to see the main palace, Hall of Mirror, King's apartments and the garden. So I want to focus on the fountain show and the Trianons this time. Do you think an afternoon would be enough--as the Trianons don't open till noon and the fountain show is only in the afternoon, right?

I would love to be able to get back to Paris before dinner time as I think the traffic downtown is going to be a problem due to the Bastille Day fireworks celebration. Any good tips or advice for me, please?

4 Answers Jun 29, 2010 at 9:58 AM
    • parking in Versailles

by Closam Online Now Jun 27, 2010 at 10:23 AM

Hi, I rented a room in the hotel Le Home St-Louis in Versailles FRance. The hotel doesn't offer Parking but does anybody know if it's easy to park out there or not.

Thx

CLaudine

7 Answers Jun 28, 2010 at 9:54 AM
    • Paris Pass and Versailles

by jyrgarrett Online Now Apr 24, 2010 at 1:05 PM

My wife and I are traveling to Paris in June. One of the spots we will visit is Versailles. My question is will the Paris Pass enable us to take part in the various tours i.e. the Garden Tours, or will we have to purchase separate tickets for those. Thanks in advance. Jeff

1 Answer Apr 24, 2010 at 1:34 PM
    • Robachu1's Profile Photo

Bicycle or Segway Tour?

by Robachu1 Online Now Dec 14, 2009 at 10:32 PM

Very interested in hearing from someone who has taken either a rented bicyle tour or a Segway tour of Versailles.

Are you able to use these vehicles on the Chateau de Versailles grounds?

If so, can you park them safely while you are inside?

Any recommendations or endorsements?

Thanks

3 Answers May 14, 2010 at 6:58 AM
    • Jeannette1's Profile Photo

Le Valmont Restaurant

by Jeannette1 Online Now Nov 30, 2009 at 11:08 AM

Has anyone been to Le Valmont Restaurant in Versailles ? Pedmar ??
      How was it ? Someone recommended it to us.
      Also is parking difficult in this area ?
      Jeannette

2 Answers Dec 2, 2009 at 12:26 PM
    • Jeannette1's Profile Photo

Need help in planning a visit to the Chateau de Versailles

by Jeannette1 Online Now Sep 27, 2009 at 3:57 PM

We are planning a visit to Versailles in Mid-December. I am assuming that it won't be too crowded. We would like to see as much as possible but I am not sure if the gardens are worth it at this time of the year.

Should we plan on a full day at Versailles or is 1/2 day enough ?
      Has anybody taken a guided tour ? is it worth it or should we just use the individual audio tapes?
      Any recommendations for places to eat lunch on the grounds?
      Any recommendations and advice would be appreciated.
      Thanks
      Jeannette

12 Answers Sep 28, 2009 at 8:21 PM
    • Confusion on entry prices for Children.

by emmalouise283 Online Now Jul 23, 2009 at 10:37 AM

We intend to visit the Chateau at Versailles but it must be on Tuesday 4th August. I am unsure about the pricing for my children who are 14, 12 and 6 years of age as it seems to be a musical fountain day.
      It appears that the best value for us adults would be the 25 euro musical fountain pass, and although the children appear free, there is a mention that the musical fountains are not free of charge. Does this mean that we cannot visit the gardens unless we pay for the children and if so I cannot see how much we must pay.
      Is it possible to visit just the gardens and not see the fountain display?
      It appears to be an expensive family day out and we are on a budget!! please help someone!! Thank you

2 Answers Jul 24, 2009 at 5:20 AM
    • Tuzik's Profile Photo

Did anyone use Grandes Eaux Musicales Pass?

by Tuzik Online Now Jul 20, 2009 at 8:06 PM

Hello,

I was getting ready to purchase a day pass to Chateau de Versailles' Grandes Eaux Musicales show. First I thought, the pass included admission to the King Apartments, Trianon, etc. But upon reading the description of the pass second time, I'm not quite sure anymore if the palaces and the Grand Apartments are part of this pass. Please read this (copied from the Online Ticket Office page) and let me know how you'd interpret this information:

So, what do you think they mean by ? What paths are they talking about? Is there a French speaker who could help, please? And, by the way, the Lonely Planet Paris city guide says these musical shows must be reserved in advance, which makes me think that if the above mentioned pass covers the show, I need to purchase tickets to the Palace, Trianon, Marie-Antoinette Palace, right?
      It's very confusing to me.

Thanks in advance for your help, VTers!
      Olga

4 Answers Jul 24, 2009 at 6:48 PM
    • Under 18 free admission line?

by lardyda Online Now Jul 7, 2009 at 4:39 PM

Hi

Versailles offers free admission to under-18s. I was wondering if we still need to wait in the line to get tickets or if it's we can just wait on the line to get in (like at the Rodin Museum where you tell the admissions person that you're under 18 and he gives you an orange sticker)? Thanks!

3 Answers Jul 8, 2009 at 2:36 AM
    • bkoon's Profile Photo

Opened During French Holidays?

by bkoon Online Now Mar 9, 2009 at 5:40 AM

I am planning to visit Versailles on 8 May 09 and I realised that it is a public holiday. Just wondering whether it will be closed or still open?

4 Answers Mar 9, 2009 at 11:39 PM