Versailles Travel Answers

change location
ara2's Profile Photo

Ticket on summer weekend-palace of versailles

by ara2 Online Now Jun 16, 2008 at 3:28 PM

Hi

The 8 of us, 4 adults + 4 kids (age 7-16) are going to paris from 19/6-23/6/08. We planned to visit Versailles on weekend (21 or 22 June - dont have other choice)from Paris and have some questions regarding the entrance tickets.

1) We are considering either to take the forfait loisirs or separate tickets. How much is the rer return tickets for adults & kids from Paris, say zone 1?

2) How much is the garden entrance cost during the grand aux musicales (for kids)? was it the entire garden is closed or just small portion of it? say if we dont pay for garden, could we still move around from the palace to the triannons, hamlets etc without obstruction? I tried the website but there is no indication of the garden entrance cost.

I tried to search the internet but it returns confusing answer. Hope the VTers could help. Thanks.

ara2

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • swissfondue's Profile Photo

Re: Ticket on summer weekend-palace of versailles

by swissfondue Online Now Jun 16, 2008 at 8:27 PM

I visited Versailles on a Saturday morning in late October 2007 and the inside of the palace was already crowded at 9.45am so be prepared. Its about a 500 metre walk from the train station. Cant remember the exact price of the RER ticket. Maybe 5.00-6.00EUR return each. We purchased our Versailles ticket at the Office Tourisme near the entrance to avoid the queues. There was a small surcharge for doing this but we walked straight in. I think combined palace/garden entry during the high season is around 25.00EUR. I think students may be free.

The Grand Musical Fountain display tickets have to be purchased separately and they can sell out in advance. 8.00EUR adults and 6.00EUR children. My understanding is that the gardens remain open to the public during the displays. We had to pay for garden admission in order to access Marie Antoinette's Estate, which is well worth seeing, although we missed seeing the interior of the Petite Trianon due to ongoing renovation work. Your children will love Marie Antoinette's Hamlet. It is just beautiful.

Plan to spend a whole day. The grounds are extensive and we were worn out at the end. There are golf buggies for hire (20.00EUR).

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines