Verona Travel Answers

change location

how long between connections

by kaz66 Online Now Feb 17, 2013 at 9:24 PM

Hi I am planning catching train from Milano to Rovereto for my nephew wedding and need to change trains at Verona. Is 10 minutes between trains enough time considering we will have luggage? Thanks in advance for your help. Karen.

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • cgf's Profile Photo

Re: how long between connections

by cgf Online Now Feb 17, 2013 at 10:00 PM

if first train is on time or second train wait your first one as it often happens in Italy, 10 minutes are enough at Verona Station and you got already your ticket

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • johnfromoz's Profile Photo

by johnfromoz Online Now Feb 17, 2013 at 10:31 PM

It is probably cutting it a bit fine but doable, see if you can find out which platforms your trains are arriving & departing from with a bit of luck they will be next to each other.

Be up & waiting at the door with your luggage ready to exit the train before it gets into the station

Italian trains leave the platform without any warning or annoucements. So just hop on the train at the first carriage that you come to & make your way through the train to find your seat

good luck & hope you have a wonderful trip

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Feb 17, 2013 at 11:03 PM

I use trains in Italy (and elsewhere in Europe) a lot. If the connection is given on the official Italian railway website:

trenitalia.com/homepage_en.h...

then it most certainly is do-able. European railway websites are set by default to give connecting times which are perfectly feasible.

As cgf says, 10 minutes to change trains is ample as long as you already have your ticket (which you will) and is certainly not cutting it fine. Verona is not a huge station and platforms are well-signed (electronically).

Just make sure that you have gathered your belongings together as the train slows to go into Verona, so that you are ready to get off and find your next platform.

• xaver's Profile Photo

by xaver Online Now Feb 18, 2013 at 12:02 AM

I usually do not even try to catch a 10 minutes connection, specially if I must reserve the seat on the second train(changing is often a problem), awfully delays are common.

• xaver's Profile Photo

by xaver Online Now Feb 18, 2013 at 12:08 AM

I usually do not consider a 10 minutes connection, specially if I must book and pay the seat on the second train(ex. eurostars) as changing can be a problem and anyway takes time. Delays are common awfully. So my suggestion is: try to catch the connection only if the second train is a regionale or intercity which means you do not have to bok the seat,

• mccalpin's Profile Photo

by mccalpin Online Now Feb 18, 2013 at 7:22 AM
    1. Are you all able to pick up your lugagge by yourselves and carry it up and down stairs without going back and forth? Verona is a "through" station, not a terminus station, so only one track is at grade level next to the station. To access all the other tracks, you have to get off the train, walk to the nearest stairwell, go down to the underground passage that connects all the tracks with the station, then come back up the stairs in the station.
    2. In your case, you will need to get over to the station to look for the electonic board (I presume Verona has one) to see what track your next train is on, then reverse the drill to get out to your new track.
    3. Obviously, if you have more luggage that both of you can carry at once, this won't work in 10 minutes.
    4. I looked at possible solutions, and I see that most connections are 20-30 minutes. However, there is one connection that leaves Milan at 12:35, that allows you just 12 minutes at Verona Porta Nuova.
    5. The good news, as xaver points out, is that in this case the subsequent train is a regional train (about half the solutions show a "premium" train that requires reservations as the connection to Rovereto). If you miss a regional train, you just wait for the next regional train - your ticket is still good. There appears to be about one regional train an hour, with the occasional regional veloce (fast regional) in between.
    6. If your regional ticket has no date or time on it, then all you need to do is validate the ticket at the side of the track or in the station in the yellow box on the wall (now being swapped out for green boxes that look like vacuum cleaners) and get on the second train. See "To validate or not to validate your train ticket" - Italy Transportation Tip by mccalpin for an example of what this looks like.
    7. If your regional ticket has a date and time on it (which it probably will if you bought it in Milan along with the Milan to Verona segment), then you don't have to validate the ticket (it's already date/time stamped), but you may need to be prepared to explain to the conductor why you're on the wrong train...I don't think that he/she will be the least surprised that the inbound train from Milan was a few minites late...and probably knew it before you did.
    8. But really, #1 is the most important - can you get up and down stairs unassisted with all your stuff? If not, then go for a longer connection...

Bill

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines