Vero Beach Travel Answers

change location

feedback needed on Indian River Mall

by kittylulu Online Now May 22, 2010 at 12:03 PM

I'm thinking of moving to Vero Beach but when I stopped to see what the mall had to offer I became concerned. Is the Indian River Mall's vacant stores a sign that all is not well here or do the locals just prefer another shopping area? Does anyone think it will stand the test of time. I can't imagine moving to a city without these department stores?

Quote & Answer
9 Answers
  • grandmaR's Profile Photo

Re: feedback needed on Indian River Mall

by grandmaR Online Now May 22, 2010 at 3:01 PM

I haven't been to Vero Beach since 2004 and it wouldn't be my favorite place to move to anyway. Plus shopping is my least favorite activity.

It may be that the stores had hurricane damaged and closed because of that (there was still a lot when we were in the area in 2005) or it may just be that the economy is bad and they've closed those stores.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Florida999's Profile Photo

by Florida999 Online Now May 24, 2010 at 5:55 AM

VERO????? How old are you, if you don't mind me asking? Unless you are over 70...DON'T DO IT!! Trust me on this...my inlaws ( over 80) live there, my poor husband grew up there. There is NOTHING in Vero Beach, besides mostly old people, and lately some illegals. Even the beach isn't great. There is a huge drop off, and they often have shark attacks and rip-currents.
    There is no gym, there are no decent restaurants, there is just nothing. Well, you can go fishing under the bridge....that's about it. Lol! I hate visiting the inlaws because they live there. I wished they lived in Cocoa beach, or Ormond, or anywhere but Vero. Lol!

by Florida999 Online Now May 24, 2010 at 5:56 AM

oh yeah, forgot, they got hit by several hurricanes in 2004 and the city was very damaged at that time. My inlaws lived with us for months until their house was fixed....ANOTHER reason to not move there!!

by grandmaR Online Now May 24, 2010 at 7:06 AM

Cocoa and Ormond and a lot of other places along that coast were also hit with hurricanes in 2004. That's a fact of life anywhere in FL.

by Florida999 Online Now May 24, 2010 at 8:00 AM

>>>Cocoa and Ormond and a lot of other places along that coast were also hit with hurricanes in 2004. That's a fact of life anywhere in FL. >>>

Cocoa got some of it, Ormond was barely touched ( I have friends that own a beach house there). Hurricanes always hit the east-coast at an angle, it is very unlikely for Ormond or St. Augustine to get a direct hit. Vero is further south and has a very good chance to get a direct hit. Orlando got hit also, we had no power for a week, but it has only happened once in 40 years. Personally, I would rather have a hurricane than a earthquake anyday, at least you can prepare.

by grandmaR Online Now May 24, 2010 at 10:30 AM

I stayed in Ormond in 2005, and the place I stayed still had a lot of damage. Fort Pierce got hammered.

by Florida999 Online Now May 24, 2010 at 12:02 PM

Are you sure you are talking about Ormond Beach north of Daytona?! Fort Pierce is south of Vero.....and yes, they got a major hit. All the hurricanes that hit the east coast were way south of Ormond, or even Daytona....
    Lol, now we have definitely scared off whoever wanted to move here!!
    Can you add a photo to a forum post?

by grandmaR Online Now May 24, 2010 at 3:18 PM

Yes I am talking about Ormond Beach north of Daytona. Yes I know Ft. Pierce is south of there. We stayed at Plantation Island condo in Jan 2005. They had some damage from the hurricanes and not all of it was fixed yet when we were there - only one of the elevators worked. This was pre-Katrina on the Gulf Coast. In 2004 you had Charlie, Francis and Jeanne. Katrina and Wilma were 2005 after our visit.

We started in Miami and drove by Ft Pierce which took a hard hit, went by New Smyrna (ditto), stayed a week in Titusville which didn't seem bad, drove up via Ponce, and stayed a week in Ormond Beach from which we visited St. Augustine.

• Re: feedback needed on Indian River Mall

by carodox Online Now Apr 15, 2011 at 6:51 AM

You're right, Indian River Mall isn't that busy. I know someone who works there and said the Christmas season picked up. Just west of the mall are the Tanger 58 Factory outlets. There is also Stein Mart, TJMaxx, Marshalls, Home Goods, 24 hour super Walmart, Target, Bealls, Sam's, Home Depot, Lowes, and many boutiques, etc. etc. There are two movie theaters, one 24 screens, the other 12. There is an art museum with classes and exhibits, a great library system, a theater complex for live shows. It is home to Indian River College.

There are wonderful plants and birds. Indian River was famous for it's fruit. It has many orange groves, some have been sold and turned into housing developments. It has a small town on the Island and a town area on the mainland. There are the McKee Botanical Gardens. You are located about an hour and 15 minutes from Orlando and West Palm Beach. The next larger city is Melborn, a half hour to the north.

Yes, there were 2 hurricanes in 04, but there hadn't been a direct hit in maybe 80 years. Anyplace in Florida, you might expect extreme weather occasionally. You get hurricane shutters, and have an emergency plan. This is trade off for balmy weather most of the time. Summers are hot as in all of Florida and the south, but at least you get a breeze coming off the Atlantic and the coastal location tends to moderate the weather.

The beaches are lovely, wide and have free parking. There is little traffic. There are many restaurants, many chains and many local. There are at least 7 good Japanese/Thai restaurants around, mexican, sea food, etc.

There is not much night life, but I am not an expert on that, because night life for me is a good book!

People move here because Vero is not crowded and has managed to keep much of it's area pristine. It does not allow high rises, so you can drive along the coast and see the beach, or the intracoastal. Government seems honest and good and determined to keep Vero from congestion.

Yes, there are lots of seniors, but all coastal towns attract seniors. If you want a younger city, try West Palm beach, St. Petersburg, or Gainsville.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines