Vernazza Travel Answers

change location

How safe is the parking lot.

by sailcal1 Online Now Apr 8, 2009 at 8:35 AM

My wife and I are going to visit Vernazza in May. We will be driving and wonder how secure the parking lot is. We are both in our 60's and would prefer to leave part of our luggage in the car and only take a small bag to the hotel. Can anyone provide any advice?

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • cgf's Profile Photo

Re: How safe is the parking lot.

by cgf Online Now Apr 8, 2009 at 10:16 AM

I believe none would suggest to leave part of luggage in the car, none will take this responsibility, it's up to you. I could say that when you'll arrive better if you had already the small bags not together so to do not show other luggage which must be not visible. This isn't because Vernazza or somewhere else.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • mccalpin's Profile Photo

Re: How safe is the parking lot.

by mccalpin Online Now Apr 8, 2009 at 11:16 AM

I agree.

1. Don't leave ANY bags visible in your car (or anything else like cell phones, expensive sunglasses, etc.). And a trunk (boot) would be better than just the covered area in the back of a hatchback, since you can usually see around the edges of the cover. If your car on visibly empty - even of the usual debris of maps, paper bags from eating, etc. - then bad guys (if any) will move to the next car.

2. Don't leave any valuables in car, even hidden, such as cell phones, computers, jewelry, important documents, etc...that is, don't leave anything in the car that you would miss if stolen...if only your dirty clothes are stolen, well, then, you'll just have to go shopping(!), yippee!

3. Outside of the major cities, theft is mostly opportunistic...so don't present the opportunity, and you'll likely be fine. I certainly didn't worry about my car being broken into in Rome, Bologna, and Portovenere the last time I was there (but, to be fair, my car was in a[n unguarded] garage each time).

Bill

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines