Ventura Travel Answers

change location
imatechgirl's Profile Photo

Channel Islands

by imatechgirl Online Now Jun 10, 2006 at 4:28 PM

We're coming to visit in July and I'd like to go out to Channel Islands. Can anyone report on which island we should visit? I've also noticed that there's a whale watching cruise but we're not sure if there are really that many whales in the area to make it worth it. Has anyone been out there in late July?

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • squidly2's Profile Photo

RE: Channel Islands

by squidly2 Online Now Jun 11, 2006 at 11:17 AM

I was out there 17 July 2004. I was Scuba diving, vice hiking the islands. If you're just going out for a day, Anacapa makes the most sense given the time it takes to get out there. (2 hours round trip). There are some cool land formations on Anacapa. Island Packers is the only company that can take you out there.
    I have rarely seen whales in July off of California. Maybe you can call and ask how often they see them. They are plentiful in the winter, I guess the more rare blue whale comes through around July..? To see one would be a treat, but I don't now about the probability that time of year.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • VdV's Profile Photo

RE: Channel Islands

by VdV Online Now Jun 11, 2006 at 12:36 PM

I've only been to Santa Cruz Islands in mid-November (the weather was absolutely gorgeous--80 degrees!) I think the former reply re: Anacapa is a safe bet. Don't know about whales, but if you like to kayak, Island Packers offers some packages with the boat ride, then kayaking around once you get to one of the islands. I did this on a full-day trip, brought some snorkel gear, and had a great time.

Also, check out VT member Minstrel74 (Sean)--he has some great pages on the Channel Islands.

Have a great time! (I grew up in that area, went to Channel Islands High School.)

• keida84's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Channel Islands

by keida84 Online Now Jun 18, 2006 at 8:33 PM

Hi there, Island Packers Http://www.islandpackers.com this is a great resource, they offer trips to the Channel Islands both at Channel Islands and the Ventura Harbor.

By July the whale watching has long been over, however there is a large pod of dolphin to be seen out there. Remember this part of the coast can get quite chilly in the afternoon when the wind kicks in so dress in layers, bring plenty of water, sunglasses, your camera, sunscreen, a hat, trail mix or energy bars and what you pack in you must pack out.

Enjoy your time here in our coastal town, there is a lot to see and do.

Kat

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines