Ventimiglia Travel Answers

change location

Ventimiglia train station

by mariosD Online Now Jul 27, 2008 at 2:23 PM

Hey there,

We are going to travel from Milan Centrale to Nice Ville by train (EC 143). According to the train route there is a stop in Ventimiglia train station. Since this station is in the borders of Italy and France do we need to change train at this station or not? Following the European railway site the journey is direct, but could you please clarify this for me.

Kind Regards,
Marios

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • mccalpin's Profile Photo

Re: Ventimiglia train station

by mccalpin Online Now Jul 27, 2008 at 5:36 PM

While there is a nearly 20 minute stop in Ventimiglia, you will not have to change trains or otherwise get out of your seat.

Note that on trains, not all carriages go to the same place. I haven't looked at the EC 143, but you will want to make sure that your carriage says that it is going to Nice...I imagine most or all of them will...I should go find the website that tells you this (I saw it once)...

The only time (and this is really old) that you needed to change trains at a national (land) border in Western Europe was back when Spain had a different gauge track than the rest of Europe, so at the French/Spanish border, you had to get off the French train and on to the Spanish train...but I think that they changed the gauge size a long time ago (or made dual gauge trains, or both) because I don't think you do this any more (it's been a long time since I was in Spain)......

Bill

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • GyuriFT's Profile Photo

Re: Ventimiglia train station

by GyuriFT Online Now Jul 27, 2008 at 6:23 PM

Unfortunately the times with changing trains are back between ES/FR.
    Only "Talgo" type-trains go through. Few years ago there were also traditional sleepers and they run after changing boogies at the ES/FR border. The famous Moscow-Madrid sleeper car was one of these. It R.I.P. in 1996 and slowly but surely the long-distance international sleeper service in Europe goes the way of dinosaurs. Last year, for instance SNCF terminated all sleeper service, now they have only couchette cars running... Wonder, who's the next, probably DB.

• Re: Ventimiglia train station

by K_V_B Online Now Jul 27, 2008 at 10:45 PM

I don't think DB will get rid of sleepers anytime soon. They are actually ordering more of them. They still seem to believe in Sleepers (and seem to be able to run them at a profit too).

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Ventimiglia