Venlo Travel Answers

change location

Moving to Venlo + general about NL?

by Arsi Online Now Aug 2, 2003 at 9:52 AM

Hi, How much are the rent prices for small appartments in Venlo? What are the cheapest appartments like? Are the car insurance costs high in the Netherlands? (20-yr-old man) Is there a separate tax for diesel powered cars? How much do I pay tax for my income, let's say about 1300€ brutto per month? Thanks in advance :) Ari

Quote & Answer
7 Answers
  • pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo

Re: Moving to Venlo + general about NL?

by pieter_jan_v Online Now Aug 2, 2003 at 12:26 PM

Ari, There might be old cheap houses available, but check the neighbourhood first! For prices and availability of rental houses inform at the rental corporations, see http://www.anwo.nl/ and http://www.wstvenloblerick.nl/. For car insurance you will pay much. You have no Dutch insurance history (no deductables). For the rest it is dependent on the mass (weight) and age of your car and the region (this last one may be the only deductable). Does your Dutch employer have no deal with insurances in general. Most Dutch banks/insurance companies have a cheap total insurance package (theft, dental, medical, car, juridical, etc..). For your car I would count on Euro 500 yearly (at least). Btw If your car is over 25 years you pay no road tax (that's another thing you have to pay - and the yearly check-up called APK). You will be taxed 37,85%, that is if you start working from January. You might be lucky and stay under the limit (now, you are just over). However the 37% will be taken from your salary anyway and you have to claim your return afterwards! (without interest). PJ

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Re: Moving to Venlo + general about NL?

by Arsi Online Now Aug 2, 2003 at 5:49 PM

Thanks for the reply. Holyhit.. 37%.... So, can you say some numbers of the rent prices? Cheapest, 1 room appartments, how much euro approximately..? Any other information about Venlo is welcome :)

• pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo

Re: Re: Moving to Venlo + general about NL?

by pieter_jan_v Online Now Aug 3, 2003 at 1:01 AM

I give you one warning on drugs. Well, just do a google -search at "Venlo drugs" and you can see for yourself. I don't know what the present situation is on drugs and low rents, but take care. You might be able to find a cheap home in a neighbourhood with trouble. Try to get more local info on that first. There are many links (in Dutch) for venlo, like www.venlo.nl or http://077.pagina.nl/ PJ

• SanderH's Profile Photo

by SanderH Online Now Aug 4, 2003 at 2:22 PM

Don't worry, it's not that bad. Our tax system is a bit more complicated than that. I only have figures from last year, but this and next year shouldn't be to different. Lets say you work the whole year for €1300 br. a month.That means you make 12.96 x 1300 = 16848 a year. Over the first 15331 you'll have to pay 32.35% tax (actually only 2.95% tax, the rest is insurances etc.) (about 4960) Over the remaining 1517 you'll have to pay 37.6% tax (about 570) So together you'll pay ~5530 tax, but.... ... Everybody who works gets a discount of 1766, and you'll probably get a bit more (labourdiscount, but i don't get it how they calculate that). So in the end you should pay something like €3500 tax. (actually, since you're income will be so low, most of that money is not tax but insurances. I think (don't know for foreigners) you'll even get AOW (a base pension from the goverment) when you're 65 (2% for every year you are in the Netherlands) Not all exact figures, but should be somewhere in the ballpark

• ATLC's Profile Photo

by ATLC Online Now Aug 5, 2003 at 4:46 PM

And now for rents.... I don't know if you can apply at a housing co-operation but these are rent prices in the free market (through real estate agents). http://www.funda.nl/huur/ Fill in 'Venlo' in the box saying Plaats /Postcode I found 3 the same 2 floor apartments in Venlo under 500 EURO. They are the cheapest thru www.funda.nl They have 3 bedrooms All 3 are 80 sq. metres and cost 469 EURO. There is a hitch: your minimum income should be 1700 EURO per month for 1 person or 2100 EURO for 2 persons. You should also take into account that you'll have service costs per month (in this case 78 EURO per month and one month rent as safeguard. Then, in this case, there's a onetime fee for the agency of 70% of one month's rent excluding 19% VAT (BTW). In this case also, you cannot apply for rent subsidy as the rent is above the bottom level for subsidy. Although this particular information is in itself not helpful, I hope that it is useful for you to get an idea of prices.

• Re: Re: Moving to Venlo + general about NL?

by Arsi Online Now Aug 7, 2003 at 12:24 PM

Scary.... A ~20sq appartment would be fine for me, do they rent "rooms" there? I heard there are small appartments (rooms) for rent in Rotterdam for about 150EUR per month. But they are in Rotterdam. Is there similar appartments in Venlo? It would be nice to have some money for myself after income tax, rent and all the other fees.. :)

• ATLC's Profile Photo

Re: Re: Moving to Venlo + general about NL?

by ATLC Online Now Aug 7, 2003 at 2:10 PM

hi I have no idea. Best to contact the town council in Venlo and ask for housing information, either on the free market or through the council. You'll find contact details for the Housing Department of the city council Venlo at venlo.nl/default.asp?PaginaI... And do ask at www.funda.nl (even though the site is in Dutch, it can't hurt to send them an e-mail to ask them to help you on). At least Venlo is a nice place!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines