Venice Travel Answers

change location

One or two days in Venice

by Marie219 Online Now Oct 26, 2011 at 4:12 AM

Where to stay and what to do? Attractions, places to eat and shop. What do the experts say?

Quote & Answer
7 Answers
  • hawkhead's Profile Photo

Re: One or two days in Venice

by hawkhead Online Now Oct 26, 2011 at 4:21 AM

The Venice Visitor office, located near St Mark's Square, has an excellent audio guide, so perhaps you should just use one of these, as it will give you the highlights.

St Mark's Basilica - go just after a service when the lights will be on. Don't forget to look UP at the mosaics and DOWN at the floor!!

Take a traghetto across the Grand Canal.

Shopping is pretty dire - all tourist stuff or high-end horribles. But that is all a matter of taste!!

Any church is a museum or a gallery full of wonderful art. Do your research.

The Doge's Palace but do your research beforehand.

Just wander around, away from the main spots, and you will discover all sorts of quiet nooks and crannies.

Go over to Giudecca for a different experience of Venice and for a super view of the town.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • oriettaIT's Profile Photo

by oriettaIT Online Now Oct 26, 2011 at 5:02 AM

two days would be great in my opinion, you can check the must see and also do some wondering around in the less touristy areas.
    If you want an advice about and unusual and excellent way to visit Venice you can check out this guide I reviewed here "The secret Venice of Corto Maltese" - Travel preparation, books and maps Tip by oriettaIT
    I enjoy it every time I go back and several people I know have been very happy with it.

If you will be there on a weekend don't miss Rialto market
    Happy travel

• crazyman2's Profile Photo

by crazyman2 Online Now Oct 26, 2011 at 5:37 AM

I'm not sure of your budget...

Everytime we go these days we stay at the Hotel Monaco & Grand Canal! It really is worth the money to open your shutters and look out across the canal ---and the rooms are great, the food to die for and the location is a must! 2 minute walk from St Mark's Square, 5 seconds from Harry's Bar, 10 seconds from the pier for the Gondolas/buses.

The downside is the cost ---but if you want a holiday full of memories...

Visiting: yes, the previous posters have offered good advice. Where else? Try visiting the Arsenale area for lunch ---there are some great places there for food. The veal, salmon, cheese and so on are wow! To drink, try the local wine or the Prosecca bubbly.

Oh, watch out for Gondola rides that offer music, wine etc. ---they charge you a lot more for these. Negotiate first!

Also, do eat outdoors if the weather is fine.

The black guys selling bags are a pain ---but it is part of their religion, seriously, to work! They are from East Africa and are often involved in a sect of the Sufi faith. They can be pushy but just be firm.

Enjoy Venice!

• oriettaIT's Profile Photo

by oriettaIT Online Now Oct 26, 2011 at 5:50 AM

about the street sellers of fake objects, just be aware it is against the law to buy from them and if you get caught by a police officer you will get a fine.
    Sometimes the object are nicely made and look a lot like the real thing, but be careful :-)

• yvr's Profile Photo

by yvr Online Now Oct 26, 2011 at 6:49 AM

Plenty of good information in the VT Travel Guide section, you might want to look there for answers.

• painterdave's Profile Photo

by painterdave Online Now Oct 26, 2011 at 8:20 AM

The book Orietta recommends is a great one. It gives you a REAL inside look into the history of Venezia without all the touristy filler.

• lmkluque's Profile Photo

by lmkluque Online Now Oct 28, 2011 at 5:57 AM

Hi Marie,

Welcome to VT!

I don't know if you mean to ask this question about Venice in California or Venice in Italy. Well, it seems that you have asked your question on the Venice, California Forum but the answers given here are about Venice in Italy.

If your question is about Venice, Italy, you might want to ask there. This is the link to that Forum:

VT Forum temporarily unavailable

Hope this helps,
    Linda

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines