Venice Travel Answers

change location

visiting in May with my mother and son

by cindyn Online Now Feb 15, 2012 at 6:15 PM

I will be visiting Venice in May with my mother (75) and son (20) for 2 days and then boarding a cruise ship. Where should we stay so that we don't have as much walking with our luggage? We need to get from airport to hotel and then hotel to cruise ship. We want to spend around200/night.

Any suggestions?

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • suvanki's Profile Photo

Re: visiting in May with my mother and son

by suvanki Online Now Feb 16, 2012 at 12:03 AM

Hi! From the airport ( Which I'm presuming is Marco Polo and not Treviso) I'd advise catching the bus to Venice. It stops directly outside Arrivals. It takes about 20 minutes to reach Pz Roma.
    The vaporetto ( water bus) and water taxi quay is a 7 minute walk from Arrivals hall.
    One of my favourite hotels is the Abazzia, which is easily reached from Pz. Roma. Cross the bridge that links Pz Roma with Ferrovia (the train station), then it's a 2 minute walk on the flat past the station to the foot of the Scalzi Bridge, where a narrow street leads to the Abazzia. This hotel was once a convent.
    I'd recommend checking www.venere.com, and Booking.com for other hotel options. You can search by location/map to find your best choice. Free cancellation from 48/24 hours, plus reviews from people who've stayed there.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: visiting in May with my mother and son

by cindyn Online Now Feb 16, 2012 at 7:08 AM

this hotel is sold out. I am concerned about all the walking and stairs for us since we will be traveling with luggage for a 2 week cruise. Is it best to stay closer to the cruise ship and then just take water taxis to all our sight seeing or stay closer to the square and just travel with luggage to get to cruise ship?

As of right now we are staying in Castello.

• suvanki's Profile Photo

by suvanki Online Now Feb 16, 2012 at 9:46 AM

Where are you boarding your cruise ship? Marittima or San Basilo?
    Where is your hotel in Castello? - It's quite a large sestiere (neighbourhood)

When considering walking with luggage in Venice, it's not necessarily the distance, it's the number of bridges that you have to cross/ if you're walking through an area of heavy tourist traffic.
    The rule is to walk on the right hand side

The water taxis in Venice are extremely expensive!!! Water buses (Vaporetto) are the usual form of transport for getting around.
    Although without luggage, it is often quicker to walk between sites.

I'd advise staying in Castello as you've planned, you can easily walk to San Marco etc. from there for sight-seeing etc for the 2 days, then on the day of departure you can reach the cruise ship by vaporetto to Piazzale Roma, then from there, get a land taxi, or the new 'People Mover' to Marittima.
    The Alilaguna airport water bus (Blue Line) also continues to Marittima.

If you're boarding at San Basilo, again you can get a land taxi from Piazzale Roma, for the short ride, otherwise, it's a 30 minute walk.

This website offers useful information about getting to the cruise ships
    europeforvisitors.com/venice...

I'd also check that you're not packing 'too much' - After years of dragging heavy cases round, full of 'just in case stuff', I'm learning to travel light, especially in Venice!

Hope this is of help,
    Sue

• painterdave's Profile Photo

by painterdave Online Now Feb 17, 2012 at 7:26 AM

Don't worry so much about walking. They have boats that are like buses that pick you up at the train station and take you to your general area where your hotel will be.
    But of course, if you like walking you can do that, wandering around... but you will do that later after unloading all your stuff.
    By the way... There is the house of Marco Polo....which is not on most maps...but it is there.

• markschaaf's Profile Photo

by markschaaf Online Now Feb 19, 2012 at 2:18 PM

Without knowing if your ship leaves from Venice the island or the mainland it is difficult to point you in the right directions. If the ship leaves from Venice the island then i suggest staying at the hotel Laconda Harion, it is only about a 10 minute walk to the train station and where the ships dock. The only problem is that there are a few bridges to cross meaning many steps. There are many other hotels closer and many of the hotel listing services will list hotels by location that way you can find something close. I don't know if VT's service does that or not but you can start there. Mark

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines