Venice Travel Answers

change location
LarryN3's Profile Photo

mestre train/bus station to piazale roma

by LarryN3 Online Now Apr 6, 2013 at 10:50 PM

going to cruise dock and want to know the easiest way. I hear there is a people mover from piazale roma.
Any information is appreciated.

Quote & Answer
8 Answers
  • leics's Profile Photo

Re: mestre train/bus station to piazale roma

by leics Online Now Apr 7, 2013 at 12:02 AM

There are two parts to the Venice cruise port: Marrittima and San Basilio. It is likely that your ship will be at Marrittima, but you will need to check.

For Marrittima from Santa Lucia railway station you turn left on exit from the station and cross the bridge to Piazzale Roma. From there you can take a land taxi (just a few minutes) or the people-mover. There's a video of the people-mover on its official site here:

http://www.asmvenezia.it/

It runs every 15-20 minutes. Ticket machines at the entrance take coins and noted (and give change). I believe the fare is 1 euro.

There may be free shuttle buses in season: you'll need to check with your cruise company.

You could take bus 6 or walk, but I doubt you'll want o do either with bags: the people mover is the easiest way (apart from a taxi I suppose).

If your ship is at San Basilio you'll need a land taxi from P Roma or vaporetto (water-bus) line 2:

actv.it/en/movinginvenice/wa...

or a water taxi (not cheap) from outside Santa Lucia station. It's further than Marrittima and would take around 30 minutes on foot so not really feasible with bags.

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • domenicococozza's Profile Photo

by domenicococozza Online Now Apr 7, 2013 at 4:40 AM

Hi Leics,
    I hate to interfere, but you actually turn right out of the Santa Lucia Station for Piazzale Roma.

Be the first to rate this answer!

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Apr 7, 2013 at 4:58 AM

You do indeed turn right...my fulsome apologies to the OP. I have absolutely no idea why I mixed up my left and my right. Old age, probably. :-(

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Apr 7, 2013 at 5:06 AM

And I've just re-read the post and realised the OP is talking about Mestre station. So there's a bit more to add.

I'm not sure why the OP is arriving at Mestre. There are bus connections to P Roma from both airports (Marco Polo and Treviso):

atvo.it/?lang=en&area=23...

and, if travelling by train, it would make sense to just get a ticket to continue the journey across the causeway to Santa Lucia.

Train from Mestre to Santa Lucia take about 10 mins and cost a couple of euro . There are trains across the causeway pretty much every few minutes throughout the day, so that won;t be any problem although you'll need to buy your tickets from Mestre ticket office: the normal Trenitalia machines won't provide the ticket for this very short journey.

Or you could take an ordinary bus from Mestre station to P Roma (probably not such a good idea with cruise luggage):

http://www.actv.it/pdf/urbano/U-2.pdf

Or you could take a taxi.

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

by grandmaR Online Now Apr 7, 2013 at 8:05 AM

I actually walked from the cruise ship dock to the Piazale Roma with luggage. It was hard for me and it took me way longer than it would take most people, because I had to stop a couple of times and rest, but I managed. Most people it would take about 10 minutes. I had a wheeled bag and a computer bag, but my grandson carried the computer bag along with his wheeled bag and a backpack.

• LarryN3's Profile Photo

by LarryN3 Online Now Apr 7, 2013 at 10:33 AM

Actually we are arriving from Ljubljana by bus and arrive at the bus stop near Mestre station. This is why we are not doing the train. Will bus to Piazzale Romo and then people mover to near the cruise dock at Maritima. Thanks Leics.

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Apr 7, 2013 at 10:41 AM

Aha...you've answered the question I've just asked in reply to your comment! :-)

To be perfectly honest, imo you would be much better off getting the train from Mestre station to Santa Lucia. Buses from Mestre to Venice proper can be very crowded (with visitors and with locals, depending on time of day..most people who work in Venice proper do not actually live there) and thus may not be easy with bags. But it all depends on your luggage of course. Train will be much easier if you have anything other than a smallish bag each.

Remember that you will probably have to buy your bus tickets from a newsagent/tabacchi or similar. I've come across a few places in Italy where you can buy bus tickets from the drivers but as far as I know this is not the norm.

• delily's Profile Photo

by delily Online Now Apr 11, 2013 at 4:32 PM

At the Meistre station, take the train across the causeway to the Santa Lucca station. Cross to the Piazzele Roma and then find the people mover.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines