Venice Travel Answers

change location
LadyHawkau's Profile Photo

Transfers

by LadyHawkau Online Now Mar 23, 2013 at 4:09 PM

We will be staying in Venice for 4 days prior to a cruise. We have been looking for transfers from our hotel to the cruise terminal. We are staying at the hotel Ala. Honestly $150 australian for a 20min ride is over the top. Does anyone know of a way to get there.

Quote & Answer
17 Answers
  • davidjo's Profile Photo

Re: Transfers

by davidjo Online Now Mar 23, 2013 at 4:35 PM

hotelala.net/en/map-directio...
    The hotel website states that the cruise companies often provide a shuttle bus from the terminal to Piazzale Rome, then public water bus to near the hotel. Perhaps contact ypur cruise company to see if they provide a shutl service in the opposite direction.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • lynnehamman's Profile Photo

by lynnehamman Online Now Mar 23, 2013 at 4:40 PM

We have used a water taxi twice (to Railway Station), from close to where you are staying..........it never cost us more than 70euros for 2 people.
    Investigate- or ask your hotel what they recommend.
    The water buses are good, but difficult when you have luggage to haul. They get very crowded, its not a pleasant experience.

• LadyHawkau's Profile Photo

by LadyHawkau Online Now Mar 23, 2013 at 5:06 PM

Cruise company cannot help us as we did not book through them we booked through our travel agent.

• TexasDave's Profile Photo

by TexasDave Online Now Mar 23, 2013 at 5:34 PM

Why can't you just take the vaporetto down the Grand Canal to the train station and then go to the cruise ship via the people mover?

• peterseaford's Profile Photo

by peterseaford Online Now Mar 23, 2013 at 5:37 PM

your travel agent will get the information if you request it.
    the transfer usually required is from the hotel to the warf and we have never paid more than 70 euro for two of us and a suitcase each.
    usually from the wharf to the ship is on the cruise cost.
    If your travel agent cannot arrange this for you then you should see the manger of the agency - that is their job after all.

you will have a wonderful time

regards

peter

by LadyHawkau Online Now Mar 23, 2013 at 7:04 PM

Thanks Dave only problems is I am not sure how far we are away from the Grand Canal and there how far we walk from the people mover to the harbour. We would do it otherwise. My husband cant walk long distances carrying luggage. Looks like we might have to suck it up and take the transfer for $150 and that was the cheapest quote.

by LadyHawkau Online Now Mar 23, 2013 at 7:05 PM

Thanks Peter.

by peterseaford Online Now Mar 23, 2013 at 9:31 PM

for that price you are paying for a private taxi from the air port to your hotel just off the grand canal.
    the hotel is on a gondola canal that the taxi can enter but the public water bus - 27 euro each cannot so the closest you can get is 50 meters.

you will still need a boat to the ships wharf and from there they usually pick up their passangers free.

think your travel agent could do more for you.

have you googled your hotel and have you emailed the pub for the best advise.

do have a closer look before you shell out your hard earned

regards

peter

by peterseaford Online Now Mar 23, 2013 at 9:38 PM

just googled ala hotel and you will be 50 metrs from the public boat service number 1 and you are just 50 meters from the grand canal

the hotel has details of how to get you to the boat but you need to know wher the boat wil be sitting

peter

• johnfromoz's Profile Photo

by johnfromoz Online Now Mar 23, 2013 at 11:40 PM

I would wait till you get to your hotel & on the night before you sail get them to book a water taxi from the hotel to your ship . Just let them know what time you wish to be picked up. It should be around the 60-70 euro mark as mentioned

by LadyHawkau Online Now Mar 23, 2013 at 11:53 PM

Thanks Peter, I emailed my travel agent she came back with a price for $175au the hotel is the one that is $150au which is the cheapest so far. I understand we are 50mts from a main pick up point but does that take us to the wharf? Seeing as we have no idea or our way around it makes it even harder. Venice is very expensive and this is just another way of making you pay over the top for things. What choice do we have.

Sue

by LadyHawkau Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 2:44 AM

If we knew how to use the public system and where to get on and off we would but as this is a strange place to us we have no idea.

• domenicococozza's Profile Photo

by domenicococozza Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 7:52 AM

Most of the large cruise lines have their own shuttles operating from the terminal to Piazzale Roma, and vice versa
    If you take vaporetto no.1 to Piazzale Rome, you should them be able to use the free shuttle service laid on by your ship. The cost of using the vaporetto will be 6.50 Euros, each.
    This does, of course ,assume that you can contact the ship's pursor to arrange collection from Piazzale Roma.

by LadyHawkau Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 2:32 PM

The cruise line is NCL and trying to get hold of them from Australia is like trying to win lotto...........lol honestly is disgusting the communication link. I have emailed them endlessy and no reply. We are going to wait until we arrive we have 4 days before the cruise so will sort it all out then, its the only way rather than trying to do it from here. Thanks for your advice.

• starship's Profile Photo

by starship Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 5:59 PM

LadyHawkau, we took a Holland America cruise leaving from Venice about 2 years ago. We also stayed in Venice before boarding the ship at a hotel on the Grand Canal but within walking distance of the Piazzale Roma. However, there were several bridges to cross with luggage to get there. Holland America, to my knowledge, did not provide a shuttle from Piazzale Roma to their ship (I don't know if NCL will either). So, from the Piazzale we took the "People Mover" which is not free but a minimal charge . From its terminus, it was still a walk to get into the fenced-off pier area and then to our ship itself. Also, the water taxi I saw and latter took ourselves deposited people very near the terminus of "People Mover". So even from the water taxi pier, it would still be a significant walk to your ship. I thought the walk was strenuous only because we had to pull our luggage and we were close to the farthest pier. Perhaps things have changed since 2011, but I hope this information helps you with your decision.

by LadyHawkau Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 7:33 PM

Yes our ship does transfers but only if you booked with them and we didn't we went through our travel agent. I have managed to find a cheaper alternative after alot of research. Thanks everyone for your help and advice.

• pitmello's Profile Photo

by pitmello Online Now Mar 25, 2013 at 12:06 AM

dear LadyHawkau, i'm a bit late... sorry

Venice is marvellous and you will love walking around it... private taxi is very expencive.
    public transport is cold VAPORETTO and you have a few stops close to your hotel.
    Depending on the time of your departure , you should be able to take the vaporetto ferry boat from Accademia to Tronchetto.
    ACCADEMIA SX 09:22 TRONCHETTO MERCATO 09:54 00:32

http://www.actv.it/en
    have fun!!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines