Money Machines

by LaRiviere85986 Online Now Mar 16, 2013 at 1:55 PM

How to get cash in Venice?

Quote & Answer
8 Answers
  • lovina's Profile Photo

Re: Money Machines

by lovina Online Now Mar 16, 2013 at 2:10 PM

There are so many banks in Venice, most of them with BANCOMAT (ATM machines).
    Better use your bank account card (with chips) than your credit card, to avoid high expenses.
    Mauro

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • RosamariaAntoinetta's Profile Photo

by RosamariaAntoinetta Online Now Mar 16, 2013 at 2:21 PM

I agree with Mauro, it's no problem getting cash in Venice with your ATM card.
    An extra hint: before traveling, let your bank know where you will be and your travel dates.
    Also, find out how much you can withdraw per day...if you unknowingly exceed that amount, they will freeze your card for security reasons.

• goodfish's Profile Photo

by goodfish Online Now Mar 16, 2013 at 4:09 PM

Agree with all of the above: use your ATM. Also alert your bank and credit card companies before your trip of where and when you will be traveling. Other than the amount being withdrawn, it's the foreign location of $$ being withdrawn/transacted that can trigger a freeze on your cards unless they've been previously notified.

• RoscoeGregg's Profile Photo

by RoscoeGregg Online Now Mar 16, 2013 at 4:56 PM

This all reflects my experiences. It is VERY important that you notify your bank and/oir credit card company. It was a life saver for us one year when we had the phone number directly to a person at our bank. So I guess I recommend a little prep.

Be very careful with your credit card as sometimes international charges can amount to more than you purchase. We have found cash is best.

Have a Great Trip,

Randy

Be the first to rate this answer!

• Re: Money Machines

by DiariesOfAnExplorer Online Now Mar 17, 2013 at 7:08 AM

ATM in Italy is called Bancomat, so please use your bank account card instead of the credit card ( also for higher commissions)! It's good to advise you bank that you are going overseas as they could block the card thinking someone could have cloned your card. Sometimes it's even better to use Pre-paid Cards so you can take with you the necessary money! :-)

• markschaaf's Profile Photo

by markschaaf Online Now Mar 18, 2013 at 9:03 AM

One thing no one has mentioned and I don't know if it still is this way but in the US you can use your atm card and get money from either your checking or savings. However the last time I went to Italy most of there machines would only give me access to my checking account. So I would recommend putting your money into your checking account in order to get to it while in Italy just to be on the safe side. And the others are right you will probably need an atm card with the chip in it.

• goodfish's Profile Photo

by goodfish Online Now Mar 18, 2013 at 9:08 AM

We were just in Italy last spring/early summer and had no trouble at all getting cash with our chip-less, American ATM cards.

• von.otter's Profile Photo

by von.otter Online Now Apr 9, 2013 at 9:55 AM

Yes, it is true about access to only a US checking account when using ATMs in Italy & Europe. Magnet strip cards are acceptable at ATMs but not a autostrasse toll booths. Have euros handy to pay tolls when driving on toll highways in Italy & France. Remember that the best rates are had a the ATMs. Cash exchanges and bank tellers are not as good that way.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines