Venice Travel Answers

change location
S.Sell's Profile Photo

Alilaguna Prestige GOLD

by S.Sell Online Now Mar 13, 2013 at 12:16 PM

Are gold tickets from Alilaguna Prestige GOLD worth 85 Euro?
It states it includes:
- Venetian Civic Museums (San Marco Area)
- The 16 churches of Chorus Venice
- Jewish Museum
- Islands tour (Murano, Burano and Torcello)

Only with Prestige Gold, you'll have also:
- Grand Canal Tour by boat

The 72 hr ticket is 55 Euro, and silver ticket (no grand canal tour) 65 Euro.
At minimum, we will need a 15 Euro ticket from the train station to our hotel, and a 15 Euro ticket from the hotel to the airport. We will probably go to Murano, which would be another 15 Euro.

There seems to be some catches.
1. It states the tickets are void if the price goes up after the online purchase. (This was stated on the round trip ticket).
2. It states the online vouchers must be redeemed for tickets only at the airport. We won't be there until we're ready to leave!

Hopefully, someone has used these tickets and can tell me if the museums, etc. really honor them.

Quote & Answer
24 Answers
  • KareninVenice's Profile Photo

Re: Alilaguna Prestige GOLD

by KareninVenice Online Now Mar 13, 2013 at 12:46 PM

Just a word of advise. the Alilaguna may take you from the train station, but they are not dropping you off at your hotel. You will disembark the boat at one of the stops that is near your hotel along the Grand Canal but you will have a walk with your luggage depending on where your hotel is located. Also, unless you are going from church to church to church, you most likely will not use all those.

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • S.Sell's Profile Photo

by S.Sell Online Now Mar 13, 2013 at 1:10 PM

Thanks Karen. We will actually need to get off at S. Zaccaria but the orange line doesn't go that far. I believe it stops at S. Marco. We could take the next boat to S. Zaccaria, but is it worth the trouble? The hotel is suppose to be close to S. Zaccaria. I know we won't go to all of those churches.

Be the first to rate this answer!

• KareninVenice's Profile Photo

by KareninVenice Online Now Mar 13, 2013 at 1:28 PM

I would say getting off at St. Mark's will be ok, there are only 2 bridges between there and San Zaccaria. If you don't have tons of luggage you should be ok, it's less than 5 minutes walk, straight down along the waterfront.

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Mar 13, 2013 at 2:13 PM

If you won't be at the airport to redeem your vouchers then that's another cost you need to add in (i.e. transport to the airport).

Like all the city cards which many European cities offer, this sort of pass/ticket thingie is only really worthwhile if it is going to save you money. So it's a matter of doing your sums using the official websites of e.g. the Palazzo Ducale (Doge's Palace):

palazzoducale.visitmuve.it/e...

the Chorus Pass:

http://www.chorusvenezia.org/

the vaporetto (water-bus) website:

actv.it/en/movinginvenice/mo...

and so on.

You won't need to take the Alilaguna from Santa Lucia railway station: you'll can just take the ACTV vaporetto. Same to Murano and back. Venice proper is very small and very walkable (you can cross it in an hour or so on foot) so you may not take the vaporetti very much at all unles you are visiting an island. (I have only once taken a vaporetto in Venice itself).

You can take the vaporetto down the Canale Grand yourself for 7 euro each way. You won't get a spoken guided tour, but you will see all the same sights.

And you can get to the airport from Piazzale Rome (next to Santa Lucia station) for 7 euro by using the excellent ATVO airport buses:

atvo.it/index.php?lang=en&am...

So.whether 85 euro is worth it for you depends entirely on your sums and your preferences. I personally wouldn't consider it worthwhile....but that's me. :-)

• S.Sell's Profile Photo

by S.Sell Online Now Mar 13, 2013 at 5:13 PM

Hi leics,
    We need to use Alilaguna to get the the airport on our way home. I think you helped me figure that out earlier. It's due to timing issues and the hotel location. Thanks for reminding me of the ACTV vaporetto. I will look into that system.

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Mar 14, 2013 at 12:03 AM

Ah yes...I remember now.

The ACTV vaporetti are the normal public transport for Venice and the lagoon islands....the local bus system, if you like. Alilaguna just runs the airport lines and a multi-island line (Green) aimed at visitors.

• S.Sell's Profile Photo

by S.Sell Online Now Mar 14, 2013 at 5:01 AM

leics, I can't read the time table. Is there a guide to help on this site?

Think I figured it out.  I need the black line, 1, from Riva De Biasio to S. Zaccaria will take 37 minutes.  Looks like around noon it will run every 10 minutes, every 20 minutes in the early morning.

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Mar 14, 2013 at 11:00 AM

Here's the direct link to the timetable page:

actv.it/en/movinginvenice/wa...

Click on the clock symbol to the right to get the timetable for that particular line.

And here's the routes map in pdf:

actv.it/pdf/navigazione/Mapp...

Think of vaporetti as buses (albeit pricey ones for visitors), because that's pretty much how they function....

• S.Sell's Profile Photo

by S.Sell Online Now Mar 14, 2013 at 1:05 PM

I looked at the Chorus website and the 16 church pass is 10 Euro online. May I purchase that for the same price at a church? Otherwise, it is 3 Euro per church.

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Mar 14, 2013 at 1:28 PM

I just bought my Chorus pass at the first church I visited (the Frari, as it happens). No problem whatsoever. It costs 10 euro from the churches so I see no point in buying it online.

chorusvenezia.org/index.php?...

• S.Sell's Profile Photo

by S.Sell Online Now Mar 14, 2013 at 7:34 PM

The silver Alilaguna pass is looking good.
    The museums are 24.50 Euro, Chorus 10 Euro, 7 Euro from the train station to the hotel, 7 + 7 Euros to Murano, and 15 Euro from the hotel to the Airport = 63.50 Euro. The silver pass is 65 Euro and gives unlimited rides. I'm waiting to hear back from Alilaguna about where the online voucher has to be exchanged for tickets and if a price increase voids it. Both options above include more places than we will likely go to.

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Mar 15, 2013 at 12:05 AM

As far as I can tell the Alilaguna passes do not include the ACTV vaporetti. So you'll have to take those fares out of the calculations unless you exclusively use the Alilaguna boats (which have much more limited routing).

You can easily buy passes for the ACTV vaporetti in Venice itself.

Voucher exchange seems the biggest issue with regard to the Alilaguna Prestige etc:

>You can change voucher with tickets only at Boat departure pier of the Marco Polo Airport (for assistance, go to box #71 in the main hall)

Having to do that would be an unnecessary hassle.

• S.Sell's Profile Photo

by S.Sell Online Now Mar 15, 2013 at 5:57 AM

Dear David,
    The Silver ticket you can change in all ALILAGUNA TICKETS OFFICES and at S. Lucia Railway Station there's ALILAGUNA tickets office ( at Guglie there' s not the alilaguna office).
    Giardinetti Reali are in San Marco.
    All prices that you see on our web site are correct.

Best regards,

Venice Link

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Mar 15, 2013 at 12:20 PM

That's good. Seems you'll be able to exchange the vouchers at S Lucia, which will make things much easier if you decide the pass is financially worthwhile for you.

• S.Sell's Profile Photo

by S.Sell Online Now Mar 15, 2013 at 12:36 PM

I'm going to get it, I think it makes sense. We can decide when we arrive at the rail station if we want to walk to Guglie to catch the orange Alilaguna or pay for an ACTV ride to the hotel. The Orange line runs every 30 minutes verses 10 for the ACTV line. I don't see any reason to be in a big hurry.

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Mar 15, 2013 at 12:41 PM

Well, it'll only take you a few minutes to walk to Guglie from S Lucia so if you buy the Alilaguna Silver (or whatever) you may as well get your money's worth! :-)

• S.Sell's Profile Photo

by S.Sell Online Now Mar 15, 2013 at 12:48 PM

I've learned a lot about getting around Venice and it makes me think I should look closer at Florence and Rome, especially Rome.

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Mar 15, 2013 at 12:54 PM

Well...you only have to ask! :-)

Both places are very easy to get around on foot, both having extremely compact historical centres. It's unlikely you'd use much if any, public transport within Florence other than the bus up to Piazza Michaelangelo but Rome has excellent value day, 3-day and 7-day tickets available to cover all buses, Metro and trams in the city as well as selected commuter trains (e.g. to Ostia Scavi).

• S.Sell's Profile Photo

by S.Sell Online Now Mar 15, 2013 at 2:16 PM

I'll start with Florence. Is this the correct site? http://www.ataf.net line 12 or 13? Seems like a lot of stops.

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Mar 16, 2013 at 1:23 AM

Yes, ATAF is Florence's bus website.

Lines 12 & 13 go up to P Michaelangelo. Yes, there are a lot of stops: these are ordinary everyday buses (rather like the vaporetti). You can see a map of each line by clicking 'Show route on travel planner' and then the spyglass symbol by the direction of route (hope that makes sense!).

Line 7 goes to Fiesole (which is definitely worth visiting), but not from Santa Maria Novella station. "To Fiesole from Florence" - By Bus Tip by leics

It's unlikely you'll use buses to explore central historical Florence, although there are some central routes which use small buses to get through the narrow streets).

You'll need to buy bus tickets from news stands or tabacchi (cigarette shops): it's not usual for drivers to sell them. Not all news stands and tabacchi sell tickets (biglietti) and it's usually (imo) worth buying two, to save time looking for somewhere to buy the return ticket.

Remember to validate your ticket in the machine as soon as you board the bus. There are on-the-spot fines and they do check. That applies to everywhere in Italy, not just florence.

Rome's transport site is

http://www.atac.roma.it/?lingua=ENG

The BIG (24-hour) and BTI (3-day) tickets are good value, as mentioned above. You buy those, along with ordinary timed tickets (100mins, changes of bus allowed within that time but only one Metro journey) from news-stands and tabacchi and validate the first time you use them. I've always bought my BTI from the news stands at Termini bus station (adjoining Termini railway station), simply because it's easy to do so.

The ATAC map link doesn't seem to work in the English version, but you can find pdf maps of e.g. bus routes here:

http://www.atac.roma.it/page.asp?p=18

How much you use public transport in Rome will depend on where you are based. Rome's central historical area (plus the Vatican, of course) is larger than that of Florence or Venice but still eminently walkable.

• S.Sell's Profile Photo

by S.Sell Online Now Mar 16, 2013 at 7:25 AM

Does Florence or Rome have a bus route guide that I can pick up? The 72 hour ticket looks like a good value in Florence. However, I think we will just pick up 4 single ride tickets to begin with. We may take bus 20 to our hotel from the train station. I picked up a 3 day pass in San Diego and we only used it once. What's in Fiesole? We plan on a day trip to Pisa, so I'm not sure if we have time for Fiesole. The ATAF site is easy enough to understand. Where do I buy bus tickets at the train station in Florence?

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Mar 16, 2013 at 8:11 AM

The 3-day ticket *may* be worthwhile in Florence but probably not if you only use the bus to/from P Michaelangelo and to/from your hotel. One-way tickets are 1.20 euro.

You'll find news-stands and tabacchi selling tickets around (and possibly in, though I've not bought tickets inside the station) SM Novella station. There is also a small ticket office in the small bus station to the side of the railway station, though it is not open 24/7.

The 3-day Rome ticket is definitely worthwhile, simply because Rome is larger.

Both cities have bus maps although you'll have to pay for the Rome one (a booklet, from news-stands) unless Tourist Info has a free one-sheet job (never seen one so not sure). Not sure about Florence either: you could ask at the Tourist Info office directly opposite SMN railway station. But, again, I doubt you'll need to know all the Florence routes nor even most.

Fiesole is in the hills above Florence. It's green, pretty, has good views of the city below and an excellent Etruscan site with small museum. Lovely for an afternoon or evening wander:

"My sort of place........................" - Fiesole by leics

• S.Sell's Profile Photo

by S.Sell Online Now Mar 18, 2013 at 8:18 AM

I found the Firenze card which provides admission around Florence and bus rides. We only have 4 museums selected on our list, so this is too high at 50 Euros.

I heard from someone else from Alilaguna who stated :
    You can exchange it in one of our ticket office, see here
    alilaguna.it/en/where-to-buy...

Canal Grande tour purchased on site costs € 30,00

In case of increases already purchased products stay valid for 90 days (for example you buy now and tomorrow there's an increase, you can use purchased voucher for other 90 days)

Regards

Customer Care

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Mar 18, 2013 at 2:11 PM

I've found that no European city card has been worthwhile for me: their value depends entirely on how much use of free or discounted entrances one will make, and for me it's always cheaper to pay for the entrances I need plus a day or 3-day transport ticket.

For some people I suppose they will be worthwhile, but it's always necessary to do the sums first! :-)

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines