Venice Travel Answers

change location

Venice Accommodation

by EuroDeb Online Now Mar 2, 2013 at 10:16 PM

Looking for suggestions on reasonably priced, good quality accommodation for 2 adults in Venice. It doesn't have to be flash, just clean, own bathroom and reasonably located.

Quote & Answer
20 Answers
  • leics's Profile Photo

Re: Venice Accommodation

by leics Online Now Mar 3, 2013 at 12:25 AM

Venice is an expensive city for accommodation year-round. I suggest you look at www.booking.com and www.venere.com Both are reliable sites used by many VT-ers and together they will list all (or almost all) Venice accomm.

It's worth considering staying in Mestre, on the mainland. You can catch bus or train across the causeway (trains run every few minutes from 0510 to 2346) and be in Venice proper in around 10 minutes (maybe 15 for the bus). Mestre prices are that little bit lower.

I've stayed in Venice itself, at Alloggi Marinella:

"Perfectly ok........" - Alloggi Marinella Tip by leics

and in Mestre, at the Hotel Cris:

"Super convenient..and absolutely super!" - Hotel Cris Tip by leics

Trains from Mestre are so frequent that it is perfectly possible for you to base yourself in Mestre and walk Venice late in the evening, or in the early morning...something which is well worth doing.

You can see other VT-ers reviews of Venice accomm here:

Venice Hotels

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • foreverstoked's Profile Photo

by foreverstoked Online Now Mar 3, 2013 at 12:26 AM

Palazzo Paruta in Venice. The location was close enough to walk to the main sites and was near the vaporetto Sant' Angelo. I had a wonderful stay there.

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo

by lynnehamman Online Now Mar 3, 2013 at 12:56 AM

We stayed at Hotel Becher last year..... it was perfect, and cost us 130euros per night, Included a great breakfast, you can read more here:

"A Perfect Choice- Hotel Becher" - Hotel Becher Tip by lynnehamman

1 member found this helpful

• Karlithus's Profile Photo

by Karlithus Online Now Mar 3, 2013 at 1:58 AM

Hello.

Venice is an expensive city to stay. If you're tight on budget have you considered staying in "Mestre"? It's a short trip to Venice!

Anyway, we stayed at "American Hotel". It wasn't cheap, neither too expensive, and we had an amazing experience!

Have a nice trip.

• sfjichan's Profile Photo

by sfjichan Online Now Mar 3, 2013 at 3:51 AM

I haven't been there for a long time but the two times I went there, we just went to the hotel desk at the train station, and both times we got reasonably priced rooms in good locations. But the was before all the hotel-booking web sites sprang up, so that's how I'd do it nowadays. It's always good to have a place lined up and not travel on a wing and a prayer. Of course that may be because I've become a less-adventurous old fart!

• simplytaj's Profile Photo

by simplytaj Online Now Mar 3, 2013 at 10:38 PM

You have to know your budget but I am very sure that you dont want to spend more than 100 euro so try Mestre area The Hotel Plaza Hotel Plaza Viale Stazione 36 Mestre, Italy, ‎+65 6226 3310‎ The place I stayed at Ca' Bonvicini B&B is also good and clean. Located in Venice (Venice City Center), Ca' Bonvicini - B&B is close to Campo San Polo, Rialto Bridge, and St. Mark's Basilica. Also nearby are Squero di San Trovaso and St. Mary of the Friars. San Marco Suites have very low rates now, check it out! Piazza San Marco, Ponte dei Dai 875, Venice, 30124 Italy ‎+65 6226 3310‎ and Hotel Firenze (around 100usd/night) San Marco 1490, Venice, 30124 Italy ‎+65 6226 3310‎
    I find the other websites suggested expensive...have patience searching.You can get a'day pass' so you can take the ferry at any point if you are out of the city center. Have a safe trip and enjoy!

by simplytaj Online Now Mar 3, 2013 at 10:38 PM

You have to know your budget but I am very sure that you dont want to spend more than 100 euro so try Mestre area The Hotel Plaza Hotel Plaza Viale Stazione 36 Mestre, Italy, ‎+65 6226 3310‎ The place I stayed at Ca' Bonvicini B&B is also good and clean. Located in Venice (Venice City Center), Ca' Bonvicini - B&B is close to Campo San Polo, Rialto Bridge, and St. Mark's Basilica. Also nearby are Squero di San Trovaso and St. Mary of the Friars. San Marco Suites have very low rates now, check it out! Piazza San Marco, Ponte dei Dai 875, Venice, 30124 Italy ‎+65 6226 3310‎ and Hotel Firenze (around 100usd/night) San Marco 1490, Venice, 30124 Italy ‎+65 6226 3310‎
    I find the other websites suggested expensive...have patience searching.You can get a'day pass' so you can take the ferry at any point if you are out of the city center. Have a safe trip and enjoy!

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Mar 3, 2013 at 11:27 PM

I would disagree with your suggestion that www.booking.com and www.venere.com are 'expensive'. I have never paid anywhere near 100 euro per night anywhere I've stayed in Europe using either site. Both list Venice and Mestre options well below that rate.

Rates are of course lowish at the moment, because it is the low season. They will rise as Easter (late March this year) nears and continue to do so until the next low season returns. For random June dates, on their own websites, all the places you mention have rates well over 100 euro per night or, in some cases, over 200.

Venice is small and very walkable.....it only takes around an hour to cross it on foot. The vaporetti are expensive at 7 euro for a one-way ticket, and the day passes (at 18 euro for 12 hours or 20 euro for 24) are not cheap either. So if budget is a consideration I'd suggest the poster avoids using the vaporetti altogether, other than if visiting or staying on one of the other islands, and simply explore the city by walking.

• QuigleyM's Profile Photo

by QuigleyM Online Now Mar 4, 2013 at 3:33 AM

Venice is expensive, but it's definitely possible to find a reasonably priced hotel while still being in a good location. The most expensive hotels are near Piazza San Marco and along the Grand Canal, so try looking away from those areas. I've had great luck in the Cannaregio district (prontohotel.com/ita/venice/p... and Giudecca (prontohotel.com/ita/venice/p....

by simplytaj Online Now Mar 4, 2013 at 3:54 AM

IF I may add, the rates varies on every website available on the internet depending on the particular dates as well. Pls refer expedia.com-bookings.com-ven... for present price comparison of the hotels I suggested. You may consider or may not....present rates are low. Any date two weeks before Easter and after would be on high rates already. June is already considered high season so the rates are high for both airlines and hotels and thats why your searches were 165-265 euro per night. I lived in Ticino for sometime which takes me 4hrs to Venezia. I am just sharing and suggesting. At the end of the day, the traveller will have to decide. Cheers and safe journey!

• Mikebb's Profile Photo

by Mikebb Online Now Mar 5, 2013 at 2:53 AM

Our second visit to Venice was August 2012, we had 3 nights at a beautiful small hotel with canal view. Recommend you do not pay extra for canal room as you will see canals all day long. Hotel photos on my Venice page.

• Mesven's Profile Photo

by Mesven Online Now Mar 5, 2013 at 5:13 PM

If you find that Venice hotels don’t quite fit your travel budget, I would recommend staying at a hotel in Mestre, near the Mestre railway station, where prices tend to be considerably lower. This is where I stay whenever I visit Venice.

http://bit.ly/RtmwPG

The downside is having to commute, but there are frequent trains and buses from Mestre to Venice that take around fifteen minutes to get to Piazzale Roma, the gateway to Venice—which is a little over two miles from Mestre.

http://bit.ly/134iT5A

The upside, of course, is that you get a much better hotel room (larger and more modern) for your money. Plus, you won’t have to carry heavy luggage aboard crowded vaporetti, across stepped bridges, and up narrow staircases to get to your hotel room—a big advantage for some seniors and those with disabilities, particularly during periods of heavy flooding.

Below are five excellent, inexpensive hotels near or opposite the train station in Mestre that come with a bountiful free buffet breakfast. Have a look at the TripAdvisor reviews by people who recently stayed at these hotels.

The Best Western Hotel Bologna, directly in front of the Mestre railway station.

http://bit.ly/ulxOH4

The Hotel Plaza is situated in front of the Mestre railway station.

http://bit.ly/idV9I8

The Hotel Tritone, near the Mestre railway station.

http://bit.ly/tS3ooL

Hotel Ambasciatori: A bus stops right across the street from the Ambasciatori Hotel every eight minutes that will take you to Piazzale Roma in fifteen minutes.

http://bit.ly/wpR3vB

Hotel Cris in Mestre is a budget hotel situated near the Mestre train station.
    http://www.hotelcris.it/?lang=en">http://www.hotelcris.it/?lang=en

http://bit.ly/XHvKFO

Mestre vis-à-vis Venice: the Ponte della Libertà is a road bridge 2.39 miles long connecting Venice to Mestre.

http://bit.ly/UEdjSd

• markschaaf's Profile Photo

by markschaaf Online Now Mar 18, 2013 at 11:04 AM

When we were in Venice we stayed at the Locanda Herion which was only about a 10 minute walk to the train station and there was a water bus stop only a couple blocks away. There was a square with many places to eat right there as well. Nice price and clean

• LadyHawkau's Profile Photo

by LadyHawkau Online Now Mar 23, 2013 at 4:13 PM

We are staying in Venice in May, after much research and advice from other travellers we have booked the Hotel Ala it is right near St Marks Square only 3* but take a look on trip advisor and it gets very good reviews and not as expensive as others.

ladyhawkau

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo

by lynnehamman Online Now Mar 23, 2013 at 4:48 PM

I do not know this hotel, but Piazza San Marco is a good area to stay in.
    The hotel we stayed in (Hotel Becher) was also 3 star, and it was absolutely superb value. Situated on a side canal. We paid 130euros per night, and that included a sumptious breakfast.
    Tripadvisor - well, can be useful, but I have found too many mixed reviews. I prefer Booking.com and Venere.com.
    However, I am sure that you are going to love Venice, wherever you stay. Its a magical city, and walking in a pleasure. Getting lost is half the fun!

by LadyHawkau Online Now Mar 23, 2013 at 5:05 PM

After many many years of travel we have used trip advisor on every trip and never had any problems what so ever each to there own I suppose.

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 12:31 AM

I too am wary of Tripadvisor, because anyone can post reviews there under any name...staff, friends, enemies, competitors.... So, like Lynne, I prefer to use sites which only accept reviews from people who have genuinely been guests at a hotel. Venere now lists TA reviews if it does not have its own but booking.com only shows reviews from its own clients.

by LadyHawkau Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 1:00 AM

Like i said each to there own but we have never ever been mislead and always had good accommodation from other people's reviews and we travel twice a year for the last 25 yrs all with help from trip advisor.

• Re: Venice Accommodation

by EuroDeb Online Now May 1, 2013 at 5:26 AM

Thanks everyone for your advice, much appreciated.

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now May 1, 2013 at 10:26 AM

You are welcome. :-)

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines