Venice Travel Answers

change location
samtin's Profile Photo

Places to eat nr Hotel Santa Elena,Venice

by samtin Online Now Feb 25, 2013 at 5:39 AM

We are staying for 4 nights at the above which is in the SE corner of the island and on our first evening wont get to the hotel until around 7pm. Can anyone reccommend a decent place to eat supper. We prefer ordinary food - nothing too fancy, just a local restaurant. We don't speak any Italian and don't want to wander too far on our first night. Thank you. Sam

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • domenicococozza's Profile Photo

Re: Places to eat nr Hotel Santa Elena,Venice

by domenicococozza Online Now Feb 25, 2013 at 6:43 AM

I assume you mean the Best Western Sant Elena hotel. My wife and stayed here some years ago. You should know that this hotel is rather remote, and is in a residential area of Venice, but in it's favour it does make for a peaceful break away from the noise of the main drags of Venice. I only know of 2 places to eat that are conveniently located. The first is Trattoria del Pampo in Sant Elena - this is the closest.and is reasonably priced. If you venture out on foot, there is another slightly upmarket restaurant in Castello called Al Nuovo Galeon. I'm sure your concierge will gladly give you directions to either of these.

2 members found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • domenicococozza's Profile Photo

by domenicococozza Online Now Feb 25, 2013 at 7:02 AM

It's worth mentioning that the vaporetto station of Sant Elena is only serviced until around 11.00pm (by vaporetto number 1) After this time you will need to use the night service, recognisable by the letter N on the side of the boat. However, the night service does not stop at Sant Elena, and you will need to get off at Giardini and walk the rest of the way, alongside the lagoon. It will take you about 10 minutes to reach your hotel.

• mccalpin's Profile Photo

by mccalpin Online Now Feb 25, 2013 at 7:28 PM

I just wanted to add that I am stunned that there is ANYWHERE in Venice proper that is 2 kilometers from Piazza San Marco(!) (as the hotel website says). Sounds like a nice green area - different for Venice...

Live and learn!

Bill

Be the first to rate this answer!

• KakapoTheParrot's Profile Photo

by KakapoTheParrot Online Now Feb 26, 2013 at 5:57 AM

I just got back (last night) from long weekend in Venice. I've stayed in Hotel Santa Elena in the past but to save money this time we stayed on the Lido.

Don't worry about the 'remoteness' of Santa Elena - as often as not I walk to S. Marco along the waterfront. It only takes about 20 minutes and in the morning the sun shines on the waterfront buildings. The view along the long sweeping curve of the promenade is fantastic. If you need a vaporetto, line 1 runs every 20 minutes until 23:00 (actv.it/pdf/navigazione/line... at least.

As for somewhere to eat, the Lido is 5 minutes away and is very much a mix of locals and tourists at this time of year. There are loads of places to eat, as we did on our first evening and really enjoyed the mixed atmosphere. If you take a boat to S. Zaccaria (S. Marco) or Arsenale you'll be have more options than you can imagine, but it's very much more touristy (for obvious reasons).

• KareninVenice's Profile Photo

by KareninVenice Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 11:12 AM

I live on Sant'Elena, right around the corner from your hotel. There is a great local pizza place Veccia Gina's that all the locals go to very close to your hotel, on the main street. Can't beat this for rubbing elbows with real Venetians, and some of the best pizza in town. The owner also makes a variety of polenta dishes that are a local specialty. Sandwiches and salads also, so a very limited menu but the closest thing to you. There are 2 other small restaurants on Sant'Elena that will probably require reservations, which your hotel can do for you easily.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines