Vatican City Travel Answers

change location
mccalpin's Profile Photo

How will the Papal resignation affect visitors to Rome?

by mccalpin Online Now Feb 11, 2013 at 9:04 PM

For the next 30-40 days, I will conduct an experiment here at VT using the new features of the website. As you know, VT does not (yet) have a good way to communicate breaking or time-sensitive news that is important to the traveler. While VT is working on solutions, I would like to use the existing and recently added features of the website to try to follow the events in the Vatican and report how they may affect travelers to Rome in the next 30-40 days.

To do this, I will add - hopefully daily - updates to schedules and changes in the Vatican (and Rome) that affect the typical visitor, such as changes to the hours of the Vatican Museums, changes to access to the Basilica, changes to audiences and the Angelus at noon, changes to the Necropolis and gardens tours and whatever features of the Vatican that visitors can access, as well as changes in Rome related to the conclave.

I am posting this notice here in the Vatican City Forum, the Rome Forum, and in the Misc Forum, BUT I am adding all updates to the Comments at the bottom of the page of the Vatican City Travel Guide (Vatican City Travel Guide. If you lose this link, just do a search on Vatican City as a destination - you'll get one hit, which will be the Travel Guide for Vatican City.

Go to the bottom of the page for the Comments. If you want to be notified of any new comments, then find the box with "Follow" to the right of "Comments" near the bottom of the page, and click it. Your Dashboard will be updated each time a new comment is added.

Of course, you are invited to add your own comments about the changes in the Vatican about any updates that you have discovered, or to ask any questions that affect your travel plans in particular. I and the rest of the VT Community will answer them as quickly as we can.

I expect to keep this up until a new Pope is elected and the Vatican settles back into a routine...until then, please subscribe to the Comments on the Vatican City Travel Guide, and let me (and VT) know how well this experiment works for you.

Bill McCalpin
Vatican City Travel Editor
mccalpin@vtmail.com

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • lmkluque's Profile Photo

Re: How will the Papal resignation affect visitors to Rome?

by lmkluque Online Now Feb 12, 2013 at 7:51 AM

Good idea Bill! I'm not much of a follower, but I will become one for this! I'd like to see the results too.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Vatican City Travel Answer Locations