Vatican City Travel Answers

change location
Hexen1012's Profile Photo

Getting Baptised at the Vatican- How to?

by Hexen1012 Online Now Feb 17, 2007 at 3:55 AM

Hi, I will be visting Rome from 2nd-7th May 2007, and am hoping someone can answer a few little questions that I have regarding Vatican City.
Firstly, I am hoping to attend a Mass with the Pope and if lucky enough would like him to bless me by performing my Baptismal ceremony into catholicism. Is this a possibility?? I have read baptismal ceremonies are performed for babies in St Peters Bascilica, but does this include adults??? Does anyone know if this is a possible and how I go about requesting such a ceremony???

Secondly, What time is the free Papal Mass held on Wednesday? Does it still exist and where is it held? Does the Pope perform this Mass?
Is it free and are tickets needed? Where would tickets be picked up from?

Thank you for all your help.

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • qaminari's Profile Photo

RE: Getting Baptised at the Vatican- How to?

by qaminari Online Now Feb 17, 2007 at 10:16 AM

My understanding is that you can't be "baptized" into the Catholic faith (/take first communion) without having followed a course of instruction first. I doubt very much, therefore, whether you will be able to arrange for the Pope himself to perform a baptismal ceremony, but you can no doubt speak to someone at St. Peters about what they CAN do, depending on what preparations you may already have undertaken in your home country.
    Anyone can attend the papal audience (NOT MASS) on Wednesdays, tickets are free although there are loads of tour companies that arrange tours including the papal audience as only part of the tour, which therefore are not free, if only because they charge a reservation fee. For more direct arrangements, see goeurope.about.com/cs/rome/q...

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Vatican City Travel Answer Locations