Varese Travel Answers

change location

first hotel and dinners

by genebeans Online Now Jun 29, 2005 at 11:18 AM

We are thinking of spending a last night at the First Hotel near Malpensa airport. It looks decent on the web site and they have transportation to pick up and drop off for flights.
Question is what I have read is that the hotel food is not good. Does anyone know of a decent restaurant to walk to from this hotel that is kind of local.
Thanks-

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • mccalpin's Profile Photo

RE: first hotel and dinners

by mccalpin Online Now Jun 29, 2005 at 12:47 PM

Oddly enough, my wife, mother-in-law, and I stayed in that very hotel in late 2002. We had arrived late into Milan from London, and decided to eat dinner in the hotel.

Frankly, we were amazed at how good it was, given that it was a hotel in the middle of nowhere serving an airport. White tablecloths, a fish special as I recall, and attentive service, in a somewhat odd atmosphere because the restaurant area downstairs (I think it was in the basement) was being renovated.

I don't know what information you saw, but we were pleasantly surprised. Given the area that the hotel is in what is just "a wide spot in the road" (as we say in Texas), I wouldn't be shocked if there weren't another restaurant nearby - this is really out in the boonies...

Bill

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • RE: RE: first hotel and dinners

by genebeans Online Now Jun 29, 2005 at 1:05 PM

Thank you Bill-Was their pickup and drop off OK- The meal certainly does not have to be gourmet as long as it is fairly decent which it sounds like it is from what you are saying. Their prices seems reasonable for rooms for one night so I am definitely thinking of staying there..Thanks again. My e-mail if you prefer is Genebeans@AOL.com--Thank you-Gene

RE: RE: first hotel and dinners

by mccalpin Online Now Jun 29, 2005 at 1:16 PM

Gene, we didn't use their pickup service because I had rented a car. The way to get to/from the airport is a bit convoluted, and I have to believe that they would have done a better job of arriving than I did ;-)

Note that this is a business class hotel (I assume you've seen the website at http://www.firsthotel.it/ - the lobby really does look like the pictures). Given that, I would assume that the pick up service is attentive. I do recall seeing their van out front coming and going. The only question is whether the van constantly circles during the day or waits for you to arrive at the airport and call them. I am sure that a quick email to them will tell. Note that they will want to know which terminal you're at, since the two terminals are not all that close together.

Oh, I just saw the photo of the restaurant - yep, it looks like they finished the restoration. We saw some of the airplane decor when we were there, but the areas behind those "windows" were empty, and the color scheme was just primer white ;-)

Bill

RE: RE: first hotel and dinners

by mccalpin Online Now Jun 29, 2005 at 1:21 PM

Oh, as a P.S., the rooms are not terribly large, which normally doesn't matter to people who just want a decent place to stay for one night near the airport. But it is indeed a business class hotel. When we were there, we received a fax at 3 in the morning from the States, because my executive assistant was notifying me that the meeting I had come to speak at had been cancelled. The fax was slid under our room door a few minutes after it was received, so there's a real 24-hour desk and all.

That give you a good feeling for the kind of place it it?

Bill

• RE: RE: first hotel and dinners

by genebeans Online Now Jun 29, 2005 at 5:25 PM

Your response was great and appreciated. We are business people here in Florida and are just looking for a decent place to stay near the airport and get out the next morning. This site is great and meeting people like you is why I look to this site for help. Many thanks and if you need info at any time on Florida or Southern Italy I am real good at that. You have my e-mail address so I will be glad to help you at any time. Many thanks-Gene

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines