Varenna

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• Where to stay?

by AnneandMissi Online Now Apr 9, 2014 at 12:17 AM

Initially looked at Como. Having second thoughts. We have 4 nights (minus jet lag only 3 days to explore.) We are considering Varenna.
      We would be catching a train from Malpensa directly to Como/Varenna after a long haul from Australia. What are the pros/cons of choosing Varenna?
      A major "thing to do is" the Berlina Express for one day.
      Advice welcomed. Any advice.

Anne

more
    • Where to stay?

by AnneandMissi Online Now Apr 9, 2014 at 12:17 AM

Initially looked at Como. Having second thoughts. We have 4 nights (minus jet lag only 3 days to explore.) We are considering Varenna.
      We would be catching a train from Malpensa directly to Como/Varenna after a long haul from Australia. What are the pros/cons of choosing Varenna?
      A major "thing to do is" the Berlina Express for one day.
      Advice welcomed. Any advice.

Anne

9 Answers Apr 10, 2014 at 2:51 PM
    • Volterra not Varenna

by dargo Online Now Nov 10, 2013 at 8:33 PM

Hello
      Sorry my earlier question was wrong !! We are travelling from Monte Carlo to Volterra (and not to Varenna).
      We would catch the train from Monte Carlo and then rent a car from a town near volterra (I understand there is no train station there).

I must say, that I absolutely loved Varenna and we stayed in the Hotel du Lac which was in a great location and we had a room with a most maginifcent view.

Anyway, this time we are off to Volterra !!

thank you

3 Answers Nov 11, 2013 at 10:15 AM
    • Travel to Varenna

by dargo Online Now Nov 10, 2013 at 8:19 PM

Hello
      We will be travelling from Monte Carlo to Varenna (staying there about 10 days). Rather than renting a car in Monte Carlo and dropping it off in Milan, I thought to catch a train to a town near Varenna and then rent a car. We would plan to arrive in Varenna late in the day. Any suggestions would be most welcome.
      Thanks.

1 Answer Nov 10, 2013 at 11:08 PM
    • Train ticket from Italiarail problem Varenna to Milan

by DrTerriJo Online Now Sep 15, 2013 at 12:19 AM

I didn't receive a printed ticket in the mail that I now see I should have...since my other tickets just required using the PNR # to get the printed ticket for validation I didn't realize this one should have come in the mail before we lest the states. I have a call into Italiarail but won't reach them until after 3 Italy time and we leave Monday 7:30 train to Milan to connect to Venice I wonder if we should just buy new tickets...help!

12 Answers Sep 16, 2013 at 4:20 AM
    • how far is hotel olidevo from ravenna rail station

by ChristineStewart Online Now May 2, 2013 at 10:13 AM

how far is hotel olivedo from ravenna rail station?

5 Answers May 3, 2013 at 9:31 AM
    • side trip to St. Moritz

by iloveaustria Online Now May 25, 2010 at 4:01 PM

How much does this trip cost?

• All Day Ferry Pass

by iloveaustria Online Now May 23, 2010 at 12:36 PM

I will be spending 3 nights in Varenna in late September. I will have one free day to see the different villages. Has anyone taken a private boat day tour or is it just as good to get the all day ferry pass and do it on your own?
      Grazie mille,
      Carol

• Accomodations in Varenna

by iloveaustria Online Now Sep 25, 2009 at 11:43 AM

I am looking for a place for 3 couples to stay for 3 nights, Sept 26 - 28, 2010. Most hotels that I have already contacted are already booked.
      Grazie, Carol

9 Answers Sep 25, 2009 at 1:29 PM
    • Milan-Varenna transportation

by Erika77 Online Now Sep 1, 2009 at 8:29 AM

Hello and help, prego!

My husband and I will be arriving in Milan Thursday evening, planning to spend a long weekend in Varenna. Our flight will arrive in Milan well before the last bus leaves and a few minutes before the last train departs for Varenna.

We've got a B&B already booked for the night at Lake Como and really don't want to have to spend the night in Milan.

How much would a taxi cost to take us to Menaggio? Are there any other ways we might be able to get there?

Thank you very much for your time and response.

Erika

3 Answers Sep 1, 2009 at 11:56 AM
    • keakalina's Profile Photo

train to Varenna from Milan

by keakalina Online Now Jul 23, 2008 at 2:46 PM

We are traveling in June 2009. We will come from Paris to Milan and train on to Varenna. Could someone give an approximate lenght of time form Milan to Varenna? Hours or say 45 minutes ? Is there a guide to research re bed and breakfast in Varenna or apartment?? We hope to make our reservations in the very near future.

2 Answers Jul 24, 2008 at 5:29 AM
    • recommended restuarant in Varenna

by MimiPawPaw Online Now Dec 27, 2007 at 11:01 AM

We will arrive in Varenna on Saturday, March 22, 2008, and would like recommendations of good, reasonably priced restuarants or bistros or cafes in the vicinity of the Duomo. We would like to walk to the restuarant and to have a place we could call "home" for the 4 days, 3 nights we are there. We enjoy very much having a familiar place to eat while we are on trips.

We enjoy healthy dishes made with fresh vegetables and local ingredients. The simplier the better. We would like to have a selection of main courses in the 5-10 euro range, if possible.

We really appreciate any suggestions.

Also, we would like to locate a grocer.

Thank you very much.
      Mimi

• aca_krmpot's Profile Photo

weather in Varenna

by aca_krmpot Online Now Jul 12, 2006 at 4:59 AM

Does anybody know some details about weather in Varenna. I should stay there for 10 days from 18-28 July 2006. I couldn't find at any site probably because Varenna is too small place. The closest place I found weather details for is Como. Is it OK? Does it matches weather in Varenna?

1 Answer Jul 12, 2006 at 2:37 PM
    • Intrepidone's Profile Photo

Arriving soon

by Intrepidone Online Now May 10, 2006 at 8:07 AM

Hello all, Arriving 20/5 and departing 24/5. Anyone interested in a get together? Thanks

• Looking for apartment in Varenna

by marinoca Online Now Apr 22, 2006 at 3:11 AM

I am looking for an apartment...walkingf distance to town and ferry for July 8-15...got any suggestions??....Thanks

5 Answers Apr 28, 2009 at 6:59 PM
    • Weather

by JulieBS Online Now Mar 9, 2006 at 8:59 AM

Can anyone tell me the best time of year to visit Varenna (i.e. weather, crowds, etc.)

1 Answer Oct 6, 2006 at 10:21 AM
    • Varenna's Ferry travel

by jimm2 Online Now Sep 23, 2004 at 4:54 PM

Does the ferry from Varenna to Menaggio carry autos? We are planning a day trip from Lierna to Lugano and would like to go thru Varenna, ferry to Menaggio, drive to Lugano, spend the day and return at early evening. I see the rate schedule and time schedule but can not tell if there is a rate per car? per person plus the car? Can you help. We arrive early October. Thank you. Jim Moreau

1 Answer Oct 4, 2004 at 8:51 AM
    • Train station to ferry stop

by avidtraveller Online Now Jul 27, 2004 at 7:23 PM

We will be getting off the train in Varenna and going to the ferry stop to take ferry to Bellagio. How far is the train station from the ferry - we do not wish to walk - is there a bus or a taxi - we will be arriving on a Sunday.

1 Answer Jul 28, 2004 at 11:04 AM