Varanasi Travel Answers

change location
sallyannethomas's Profile Photo

Night Train Varanasi to Delhi

by sallyannethomas Online Now Feb 5, 2010 at 1:54 PM

I am hoping to travel back to Delhi from Varanasi on the overnight train but have heard some scary stories! Can anyone give me advice on train times and travel tips on staying safe on the train. Thank you.

Quote & Answer
13 Answers
  • lynnehamman's Profile Photo

Re: Night Train Varanasi to Delhi

by lynnehamman Online Now Feb 5, 2010 at 3:14 PM

Sally
    On my India and Varanasi pages (links on my Homepage) I have travel info, as we have done many many train trips throughout India. Travel 1st aircon or 2nd aircon. Secure your luggage with a chain (like a bicycle chain) in the compartment. Keep your wallet, passport etc under your pillow. DO NOT accept drink or food from anyone other than train staff. Carry some toilet paper & wet-wipes with you. Take along some fresh fruit.
    The bedding is always clean and comfortable,
    We have never ever felt threatened or nervous on any Indian train journey.

Best website to book is:

http://www.indianrail.gov.in/

Train numbers and times can be found on this website. Please email me if you have any problems finding trains. Or if you have any other queries.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • earthflyer's Profile Photo

by earthflyer Online Now Feb 6, 2010 at 3:20 AM

Lynnehammon has hit on the nail with that one, I couldn't written it better myself.

Like Lynnehammon I have also done many train trips all over North India and many times from Delhi to Kolkata via Varanasi. Perhaps I can add is if you have a small Backpack you can always use it as a pillow but still chain it up. If you can bring a chain from home with you that would be better. There are many people selling chains with Padlocks in India but who's to say the key fits all.

Don't let the stories put you off. Often when you book your train ticket they try and keep the tourist together but if you do find yourself the only tourist in the carriage try and have some fun with the locals because it is a long journey.

Enjoy.

Earthflyer

• into-thin-air's Profile Photo

by into-thin-air Online Now Feb 6, 2010 at 6:35 AM

I agree with both of the above posters – train travel is Definitely the way to travel in India, I also took Many trains on my trip there and used most of the spectrum of classes from Basic sleeper up to 3T AC.
    But if you are a female travelling alone and have concerns then opt for a higher class
    Another excellent site for train info which shows you photos of what each individual class looks like is
    http://www.seat61.com/India.htm
    Good Luck
    Rob

• suru's Profile Photo

by suru Online Now Feb 6, 2010 at 7:35 AM

There are nearly 5 trains to New Delhi from Varanasi. One of the following trains would be better, i think.:
    Train No./ dep.Varanasi/arrival delhi
    2559/1915hrs/0740hrs(next day)all days of the week.
    2391/15:11hrs/05:20hrs(next day)all days
    2381/18:46/07:20hrs(next day).This train runs only a few times a week.

Advance reservation is a must.

Travel Tips and safety travel:

Be on the correct platform atleast 30mnts before departure of your train.

Better to pack food from your hotel for consuming in the train than buying the train food.

If you have a rather big baggage, keep it chained under your seat/berth(there is a provision for that).Have your own chain, lock and a key for the purpose.

If you have a small baggage, you can use it as a pillow or keep it near your head.
    If you are near a window,roll down the windows and avoid keeping your valuables near your seat/berth.
    Never accept any eatables or drinks from couples or men during train travel. Ofcourse you can accept if you like from families.
    Never speak about your schedules with strangers in the train
    Keep toilet papers as they are not provided/not available in trains.
    Keep some small change (coins or small notes) should you need to buy something during your travel or after arrival in the destination.
    Be prepared for late arrival of the train so that you don't worry about your onward flight/train connections.

Have a nice travel.

Suru

• sallyannethomas's Profile Photo

by sallyannethomas Online Now Feb 6, 2010 at 7:45 AM

Thank you so much for your help and advice, I will take along my lock and chain and do it!!!

• into-thin-air's Profile Photo

by into-thin-air Online Now Feb 6, 2010 at 9:15 AM

Good Luck Sallyanne – I am Sure you will be Fine :-)
    Please remember to pop up a posting and let us all know how you got on
    Happy Travels
    Rob

by earthflyer Online Now Feb 6, 2010 at 10:46 AM

Go for it and have some fun and enjoy the journey. It's an interesting way to meet people, weather there foreigners or locals.

• MacedonianUK's Profile Photo

by MacedonianUK Online Now Feb 6, 2010 at 12:35 PM

Here is another reasurance from me too.
    I have traveled with 13yr old on 1 st of November 2009.
    We took the night train at 8pm, next day we arrived at New Delhi train station. No problem what so ever..
    We always locked our rucksacks with chans and lock(you can buy them at any train station, but make sure is substantional chain, I paied Rs60 for the chain and lock) to the underside of the bottom buk, and it was Ok, the small rucksack usaly was used by my son as pillow :D
    As Lynn mentioned, make sure you have toalet paper whenever you go, nesessety :D
    But otherwise, very safe and cofortable ride.. we traveled for 24 day around India with trains and most was done overnite..
    Lynns and Dona_in_India pages are realy good...
    Gave me so much info , as I was traveling with chiled and I was aprehencive..
    Enjoy the ride, and do not worry.
    Macedonian UK

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo

by lynnehamman Online Now Feb 6, 2010 at 2:18 PM

SURU.....thanks for repeating advice in my first reply, BUT re

****If you are near a window,roll down the windows *****

Windows do not open or close in 1st air-con or 2nd air-con. They are all fixed.

Sally- have a great time in India and especially Varanasi.

• goutammitra's Profile Photo

by goutammitra Online Now Feb 12, 2010 at 7:26 PM

The best way to buy tickets directly from their website:

www.irctc.in . Another better train to go to Delhi from Varanasi is Rajdhani Express. But to catch that you have to travel by taxi ( shared) to Mughalsarai Junction, it's major junction. The train leaves from Howrah in the afternoon and reaches Mughalsarai around midnight. You can reach MS in the evening and spend the time in waiting room. The train is the best& fastest one in India and you shall be in Delhi by 10.00am. My friend Lynne has covered most of the subjects. Yes, I too carry a chain and a small padlock ( Chinese) while travelling in trains. It's good to travel safe. Please don't' accept food or drink from unknown people in India while travelling.

• dipeshshah16's Profile Photo

by dipeshshah16 Online Now Feb 28, 2010 at 12:07 AM

Hi,
    Just back from Varanasi.
    A/c tiers are generally better while travelling in trains.They are safe and provide a comfortable journey..And dont accept any eatables from anybody.
    I visited this blog and it helped me in my trip to varanasi.

www.myyatradiary.blogspot.com

• Re: Night Train Varanasi to Delhi

by shasmac Online Now Mar 20, 2010 at 2:47 PM

Hi Sallyann, have you thought about flying? We are going in May and have booked flights for £30 each, one way only though as we are travelling.
    regards
    Shasmac

by earthflyer Online Now Mar 21, 2010 at 3:59 AM

Flying takes the fun out of travelling, it'a to easy and you miss all the different people you meet and have a laugh with on the train.

And the worst thing about the plane it is cramped, on the train you have much more room.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines