Vang Vieng Travel Answers

change location

Vang Vieng - Jan 2012

by Howayanow Online Now Sep 28, 2011 at 8:01 AM

Hi Everyone,

Quick couple of questions if you had any thoughts / info;

Myself and my GF are heading to SE Asia for 2 months in Decemeber & were thinking of going to Vang Vieng for New Year's Eve(possibly travelling from Bangkok on 30/12). We land in Bangkok on 27/12 so are thinking it might be good to get out of there for NYE as 5 nights might be too much.

Wondering what the best way to plan for accommodation at that time is as it will no doubt be very busy and I don't want to get stuck in a bad place or have no place to stay ! Also - has anyone spent NYE in Vang Vieng, is it worth going for, crowds good, etc ? Any guesthouse recommendations, etc would be great

Any help would be great, thanks !!

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • leon.partsi's Profile Photo

Re: Vang Vieng - Jan 2012

by leon.partsi Online Now Sep 28, 2011 at 5:13 PM

Hello,

While I haven't been there during New Years and can't comment on the crowd, I can't imagine it would be anything short of awesome.

I stayed at Mai Mai Guesthouse which doesn't have a website - I'd want to book in advance for that time of year though, so you could check out this place, which I walked past every night to go out and it looked pretty solid:
    vang-vieng-hotels.com/Popula...

From Bangkok you would need at least 2 days to get to Vang Vieng - an overnight train from Bangkok to Vientiane then a 4-6 hour bus ride from Vientiane to Vang Vieng. I'm also not sure what the border control would be like during the new year period. From what I've seen in Laos, it wouldn't surprise me to hear that the border closes around the new year so the guards get a break.

Hopefully someone who's been during that time can confirm you'll be able to get across.

Cheers,
    Leon

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Vang Vieng - Jan 2012

by Howayanow Online Now Sep 30, 2011 at 6:40 AM

Thanks for the reply Leon, v.helpful - hadn't actually thought about the border being closed !! Might hang tight in Thailand til after NYE & head to Laos then -the thought of getting stuck at the border or on a bus/train over New Year's isn't great !

Any other suggestions would be great before I make up my mind !!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Vang Vieng