Vang Vieng Travel Answers

change location

Vang Vieng to Vientiane

by AlexDewar Online Now May 11, 2011 at 4:21 AM

Hi,

I am on quite a tight trip, and am planning on getting an early morning bus from Vang Vieng to Vientiane, to get a flight at 5PM. I believe the journey time is max 5 hours, so I think I should make it ok. Does everyone think this is a safe bet, or is there a risk of breakdowns/ delays/ general slowness that would make me miss my flight?

Thanks for your help.

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • Durfun's Profile Photo

Re: Vang Vieng to Vientiane

by Durfun Online Now May 11, 2011 at 5:30 AM

Hi Alex, You'll be just fine. Yes, it's 5 hours max, in fact more like 3-4 hours.

Also, don't forget it's a downhill journey, so less issues re breakdown ;-) Besides the coaches used are quite new so that isn't a problem!

This is a very well-served route so services are regular & timely.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • picek's Profile Photo

by picek Online Now May 11, 2011 at 5:56 AM

Well, breakdowns do happen on this route as well, we've witnessed few of them (did the route several times between the places)... unpredictable thing of course; in case that two cars/bus/trucks crash in some of the narrow bridges after VV then you're stucked for hours. But if they don't then 4 - 5 hrs is reasonable time.

I'd go a day earlier if catching a flight is significant to you. All up to you :)

• planxty's Profile Photo

by planxty Online Now May 11, 2011 at 9:14 AM

I would agree with Vesna (picek?) who is something of a VT expert on this area. I use her tips when I travel there.

I have not done this particular route on a bus (I did it on a truck many years ago) but you must remember that road transport anywhere is subject to holdups and rural Southeast Asia is probably worse than most. In your position, I would be far happier to get to Vientiane the night before at which point you can always get a taxi if all else fails.

Hope this assists,

fergy.

• AuTourDuMonde32's Profile Photo

by AuTourDuMonde32 Online Now May 12, 2011 at 7:33 AM

It's an easy, well "traveled" path that won't take more than 4 hrs.. but expect the unexpected... I'd leave super early.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Vang Vieng