Vang Vieng Travel Answers

change location
jimbolta's Profile Photo

Motorbikes in Laos

by jimbolta Online Now Oct 12, 2010 at 3:15 AM

Hi All,
I am looking to hire a motorbike with some mates and ride from Vang Vieng to Luang Prabang and back.
I was just wondering if there was any info I should know before undertaking such a journey i.e. safety, time, costs etc that might make it not such a wise decision.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
THanks,
James

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • Freiburg999's Profile Photo

Re: Motorbikes in Laos

by Freiburg999 Online Now Oct 19, 2010 at 11:00 PM

Dear to all
    i only know that most of people rent the bike from Vientiane drove up to Lpr and back to Vtn ,i didn't see any good place or good bike to rent in Vanvieng but check out one place they might have 2 big dirt bike , the shop is opposite of happy tour. they got Honda Baja

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • leon.partsi's Profile Photo

Re: Motorbikes in Laos

by leon.partsi Online Now Mar 1, 2011 at 8:03 PM

Hello,

I stayed in Laos for 2 weeks, and drove motorbikes from Vang Vieng to Luang Prabang in January 2011. I hope you find the following helpful:

Safety: Motorbiking from Vang Vieng to Luang Prabang was incredibly dangerous. The trip will take you most of the day, and once you get up into the mountains, the roads are completely fogged out - visibility is about 5 meters in front of you. Frequently, trucks buses and army transports would come roaring past my friends and I. A friend of mine fell off his bike (he's an experienced rider) and sustained an injury to his left leg. The roads themselves are unclosed, rough, and can suddenly turn sharply into a cliff.
    Even the person renting the bikes looked concerned and tried to persuade me to take the bus. I advise you to listen to the locals and take the bus.

Cost: expect about USD$10-15 per bike per day after bartering.
    Time: 5+ hours, depending on how comfortable you are riding in a white-out.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Vang Vieng