Travel Answers
Vancouver Island

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• Can anyone give me a quick description of Vancouver island?

by Potomri Online Now Dec 5, 2014 at 9:46 PM

Hi everyone
      Thinking of goin to Vancouver island mid Jan. For two weeks.
      Can anyone give me a quick description of demographics,things to do,boating ect.
      Love fishing,outdoors and the ocean so it seems really nice
      Thank you

5 Answers Dec 6, 2014 at 7:55 PM
    • Vancouver Island - 2 days

by KrystalDC Online Now Jul 6, 2014 at 11:55 AM

Hi there, I'm planning a 10 day road trip through BC and the Alberta rockies, and I have allotted 2 days to be on Vancouver Island. We will likely be camping both days, and would just like to visit beautiful places and spend time outdoors. I would love visiting or camping near a beach there one or two nights. Seeing wildlife would be a bonus! I don't need to drive all around the island, I just want to spend 2 scenic days on the island. Any suggestions?

14 Answers Jul 7, 2014 at 1:01 PM
    • Itinerary Suggestion for Visiting Vancouver and Tofino for a 7 day trip

by austin_tx Online Now Apr 24, 2014 at 8:01 PM

I will be flying to Vancouver the end of June this year and am trying to make plans for a tentative itinerary. I've done some research and I would really like to explore vancouver Island (tofino specifically) as well as vancouver. Is it reasonable to travel to tofino for a 7 day trip spanning between both island time as well as time in the city? I just would hate to spend that much time traveling to Tofino and be disappointed. I was also curious how Hornby Island is and if it would be worth stopping at one night on the way to Tofino?

Tentative Itinerary with comments/suggestions welcomed:
      Day 1 - Fly into Vancouver YVR and take ferry to Nanaimo. Rent Car and drive to hornby Island
      Day 2 - Explore Hornby Island in the morning and then drive to Tofino in the afternoon
      Day 3 - Explore Tofino, possibly hot springs?
      Day 4 - Explore Tofino and Long Beach in Pacific Rim Park
      Day 5 - Drive to Nanaimo and take ferry back to Vancouver
      Day 6 - Explore Vancouver
      Day 7 - Explore Vancouver
      Day 8 - Fly Home

Thanks!

6 Answers May 14, 2014 at 9:00 PM
    • DanB80's Profile Photo

car rental

by DanB80 Online Now Apr 8, 2014 at 6:12 PM

Do I need to reserve a car in advance or are the deals better if I wait until I arrive?

4 Answers Apr 9, 2014 at 5:34 PM
    • How to travel to Butcart Gardens

by folliboy Online Now Feb 8, 2014 at 7:38 AM

Please advise on how to travel to Butcart Gardens from Vancouver. I will be arriving by cruise ship, and I only have a day.

3 Answers Feb 8, 2014 at 10:53 AM
    • Hiking with one year old

by taani_hr Online Now Aug 21, 2013 at 3:43 PM

Hi 

Planning to go for hiking with my one year old son. Can you pls recommond 3 best hikes with stunning views.(Vancouver) .

Thank you.

2 Answers Aug 23, 2013 at 12:19 PM
    • qnm3's Profile Photo

10 days in Vancouver Island

by qnm3 Online Now Aug 17, 2013 at 3:27 PM

We're a family of 5, kids ages 17,16, and 12. We are renting a travel trailer from Errington, from there we will camp in Tofino (spend maybe 3 days, see Ucluelet). Then camp in Qualicum falls for a couple of nights. Then to Nanaimo for 4 days with day trips to Victoria and Sooke Potholes. Does that sound like a reasonable itinerary and enough time at each place? Am I missing any must see places? We are experienced campers so pulling a trailer is fine.

Thank you!!

8 Answers Sep 15, 2013 at 9:20 PM
    • osinig's Profile Photo

West Coast Trail - Looking for a partner/group to join August 2-5

by osinig Online Now Jul 28, 2013 at 6:32 AM

Hi!

I've planned to hike half of the West Coast Trail from Port Renfrew to Nitinat from August 2 to 5. I'll get to Port Renfrew by bus from Victoria. I'm looking for a partner/group to join as I'd love to share this experience with someone :-)
      31-yrs girl from Italy is waiting for you to start together the trail!

Ornella

2 Answers Jul 28, 2013 at 7:47 AM
    • 8 day visit

by bobcat1967 Online Now Jun 3, 2013 at 7:25 AM

We have 8 days to spend in Vancouver Canada and Seattle Washington in August any suggestions as to best use of time? The 2 of us have not been to this area before and are returning from 18 days in Alaska.

9 Answers Sep 16, 2013 at 12:19 AM
    • Vancouver Island with Kids

by lyogi Online Now May 21, 2013 at 1:42 PM

Hi, we are planning a four day trip in an RV to Vancouver Island with kids (range 5-9). Where are the best places to go? Right now Iʻm thinking 2 day in South Island - Victoria, 2 days Central Island and 2 days somewhere else? Suggestions??? Thank you!!

6 Answers May 22, 2013 at 8:44 AM
    • Jerryd57's Profile Photo

Butchart Gardens in a Day

by Jerryd57 Online Now May 11, 2013 at 6:32 PM

We are planning a RV trip to BC this summer and want to go to Butchart Gardens. We will be taking a ferry from Anacortes, WA and want to make sure we will have enough time to see the gardens with travel time included. We have to small dogs that would be staying behind for the day or perhaps put into a kennel if we need more time. Would it be more economical and better to take our car or take a bus/cab or rent a car on the island? Can we do it in a day? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

3 Answers May 12, 2013 at 9:50 PM
    • West canada on a shoe string with a 4 year old?

by Julie.gibson Online Now May 7, 2013 at 8:20 AM

Hi, my husband, our 4 year old daughter and myself are thinking about a trip to west Canada (from Ireland). We teach so have July and most of August off work. Although we have loads of time, we would be doing it on a shoe string!! Would like to know what people think; should we a) just focus on Vancouver and Vancouver Island (b) focus on the Rockies © try to do both - although I don't think we could afford it all at once!
      We really want to get the 'real Canada' outdoorsy feel and would be staying in hostels (hopefully there are child-friendly ones about!!) any advice/opinions on what we should/could do?

6 Answers Sep 15, 2013 at 9:34 PM
    • hugoiris's Profile Photo

vancouver to vancouver island

by hugoiris Online Now Apr 25, 2013 at 5:00 PM

what to get to vancouver island from vancouver , what is the best way, float plane or hire a car and use ferry??? thoughts please people, thank you

13 Answers May 10, 2013 at 12:51 AM
    • Cruise Terminal to Airport

by BrooklynRose Online Now Mar 19, 2013 at 8:58 PM

What is best way to get from Canada Place to airport?

3 Answers Mar 23, 2013 at 9:40 AM
    • Tinkerbell6593's Profile Photo

Is this too much to take on?

by Tinkerbell6593 Online Now Feb 18, 2013 at 8:06 PM

My husband and I are planning an eight day (not including travel days) trip to Vancouver Island in late June. On the first night our plane arrives from Florida around nine at night. After customs we are intending to drive straight away to Parksville for our stay for the next three days. I realize that the sun will be setting latter in the evening and this is unfamiliar territory to us. Is this too much for a first day? Is the road in this direction too dark or narrow for this late night trip? I really don't want to stay in Victoria at the beginning of our trip but rather at the end. We will be staying three days in the Parksville area then days in Ucluelet and the final three days in Victoria. Advice?

4 Answers Mar 7, 2013 at 1:26 PM
    • Tinkerbell6593's Profile Photo

Canada Day best place to be in BC

by Tinkerbell6593 Online Now Jan 17, 2013 at 5:17 PM

My husband and I will be going to Vancouver Island and the general area for the time before- during and after Canada Day. We are Americans but we wanted to see how our northern friends celebrate their national holiday. We are at the very beginning of planning our trip. I know that I want to see Vancouver Island but am unsure if I have enough time to visit the city of Vancouver as well. Minus the travel day there and back we will be there eight days. We love fireworks and general shows and celebrations but not so much bar or club hopping. Are we better off to go the The City for the special day or is there a city on Vancouver Island that has a nice celebration? By the way we still have not hammered out an itinerary so we are fully open. With only eight days should we just stay on Vancouver Island? We want to be relaxed and still see what this wonderful area can offer. .

10 Answers Feb 21, 2013 at 12:29 PM
    • WhiteMughal's Profile Photo

Safety in Vancouver Island

by WhiteMughal Online Now Dec 25, 2012 at 10:24 AM

I have a niece who lived in Nanaimo till crime got too close to her. She then moved to Vancouver itself. My question is what exactly is the types of dangers that visitors to Vancouver Island have to be wary of? I know on the mainland that suburbs like Abbortsford had a history of things like United Nations. But I've only heard just one thing from family about the island.

4 Answers Feb 20, 2013 at 9:01 PM
    • CatherineReichardt's Profile Photo

Vancouver island in mid October?

by CatherineReichardt Online Now Aug 8, 2012 at 7:31 AM

Hi
      Fingers crossed, it looks like we may be in Vancouver visiting family at the end of the second week in October, and we're thinking about adding on a couple of days to visit Vancouver Island.
      Is this a good or bad time of year to visit? Is it too early/late for the Fall colours?
      Our time is sadly limited, but would we be able to get at least a taste of the Island in 2-3 days, or would we be better focusing our attentions on Vancouver itself (we're particularly interested in landscapes and wildlife)?
      Any guidance would be useful: if you assume that we're pretty clueless, then you won't insult us!
      Regards
      Cathy

38 Answers Aug 29, 2012 at 11:55 AM
    • 4 Days in Vancouver Island in September

by Ladyleahtravels Online Now Jun 2, 2012 at 5:39 AM

Howdy

My mum and me are traveling up to Canada from Oz in September and looking at spending 4 nights on the island before taking a cruise. We've come up with an itinerary, but not sure how feasible it is. ANy help appreciated

Day 1: Spend day exploring Victoria, pick up rental car & drive to Campbell River
      DAy 2: Grizzly bear tour, stay night in Campbell River
      Day 3: Drive to Ucluelet, stopping at some touristy places on the way (don't know where yet)- sunset cruise in Ucluelet and spend night there
      Day 4: Drive to Nanaimo, drop off car and head to Vancouver, possibly check out Tofino on the way

Not sure if we're going to be rushing around like crazy if we try to fit all that in or if we'll be missing any must-see stuff. We wouldn't mind doing a little hiking, but not concerned if we can't fit it in.

Thank you

5 Answers Aug 29, 2012 at 10:54 PM
    • Honeymoon Accomodation

by mu24885 Online Now Mar 11, 2012 at 5:15 AM

Hello all :)

I am getting married in the summer, and for our honeymoon my wife-to-be and I are wanting to go to Canada. We are going for 3 weeks, and pretty much have an itinerary sorted (at-least in our heads)

The only thing we cant seem to find is he perfect accommodation/location on Vancouver island. Obviously as its honeymoon we want somewhere as nice as possible, as near some beaches and other sites/things to do but (and this is the bit we are struggling with) we cant seem to find anywhere which is in easy walking distance to restaurants and bars. We really dont want to rent a car on the island as we are doing this on another leg of the journey. So if anybody has any good ideas or recommendations that would be fantastic

Thanks

3 Answers Mar 12, 2012 at 11:16 AM
    • Winty's Profile Photo

Ranch / Farm stay bed and breakfast

by Winty Online Now Oct 3, 2011 at 1:49 AM

Hi there VT members
      We'll be travelling to YVR island (again)in May 2012. We're looking for a recommended B&B for 2-3 nights, hopefully on a farm or ranch, and ideally in the central/north of the island. We'll be travelling back to Vancouver from a weeks stay in Tofino and would like to see the eastern coast of the island.

6 Answers Oct 5, 2011 at 8:37 AM
    • Vancouver Island with small children!

by claire.hathorn Online Now Aug 14, 2011 at 7:17 AM

We have four days to spend in Vancouver Island in early September and are wondering how best to spend our time. We have two small children aged 1 and 3 years, so we don't want to be too ambitious in terms of long drives etc, but would love to see as much as possible. We will be coming from Vancouver, so can take the ferry to Victoria or Nanaimo, or go to/from each one to reduce the time we are in the car. Any suggestions are very welcome! Thanks.

2 Answers Aug 14, 2011 at 9:41 AM
    • 4-wheel-drive vehicle or standard car for Vancouver Island?

by debras Online Now Apr 30, 2011 at 6:23 PM

My husband and I are leaving for a 2-week trip around Vancouver Island in a couple of weeks.

We enjoy getting off the main highways when we travel by car, and would like to be able to explore some of the gravel roads, etc on the island.

Is it advisable to rent a 4-wheel SUV or will a standard car do just as well on VI? If anyone has experience touring the island off the beaten path, we'd love your advice.

Thanks!

5 Answers May 1, 2011 at 11:59 AM
    • recommendations for a 4-day visit on Vancouver Island please!

by JuliaW Online Now Mar 9, 2011 at 5:59 AM

Hi everyone,

this July 2 friends of mine and me are travelling to BC/Alberta for 3 weeks and would like to visit Vancouver Island for 4 days (unfortunately, we're on quite a tight schedule and cannot stay longer than that).
      Therefore, I would like to ask your advice whether our travel itinerary is manageable and every bit of suggestion for a nice alteration or nice places to stay over is warmly welcome!

We had planned to go by ferry from Vancouver to Victoria, stay there the day (and night?), then drive northwards to Port Alberni (stay there the night on a campground? Advice?), and continue to Ucluelet. As I understood, Ucluelet is a good place to access the Pacific Rim NP - is that correct?.
      The 4th day, we were thinking of driving back eastwards to Nanaimo, take a mid-day ferry back to Horseshoe bay and start driving on the 99 towards East/ Rocky mountains.

Have you any suggestions concerning campground, activities, walks, trails? I don't really have a good concept about the driving distances and road features on the island...
      our focus would be on scenery and wildlife (we have to try to see some whales, that's for sure)

Cheers for your help,
      Julia

6 Answers Mar 14, 2011 at 8:34 AM
    • travelling without a car

by starbar23 Online Now Feb 10, 2011 at 1:50 PM

we are a family of 4, with a four year old and a 1 year old baby... we would love to go to Vancouver Island or one of the gulf islands during our stay in Canada in April... but we don't drive! Can anyone suggest a lovely quiet place to go to that is accessible by public transport and taxi if necessary. We really don't want to restrict ourselves to a city, but equally don't want a journey from hell to get somewhere! Any suggestions? Thanks

9 Answers Feb 11, 2011 at 8:11 AM
    • Itinerary Advice for a 2-week Vancouver Island holiday

by debras Online Now Jan 27, 2011 at 7:07 PM

My husband and I are planning a trip to Vancouver Island duringthe last 2 weeks of May. We'll be flying into Victoria, renting a car, and taking it from there. Some must-stops for us are Tofino, Ucluelet and Campbell River (with a trip to Mt. Washington).

We're also considering going further north to Port McNeil, but not sure how long to stay in each place and the best route.

Do we start by staying on the east coast and driving north, leaving the west coast to the end? Do we veer over to Ucluelet and Tofino first?

Are there other destinations that we shouldn't miss?

All and any advice would be fabulously welcome!

11 Answers Feb 6, 2011 at 4:20 PM
    • bears and elk in early october

by michelleava Online Now Sep 18, 2010 at 4:25 AM

where are good places to see bears on vancouver island in early october? Also, I have read there is a good chance of seeing elk around gold river. Any tips on exactly where to see them?

1 Answer Sep 19, 2010 at 11:20 AM
    • Anyone stayed in Sointula on Malcolm Island?

by Muffyrabbit Online Now Aug 14, 2010 at 1:44 PM

Hi, We have planned to stay in Sointula on Malcolm island for a few days in August. I cant find any reviews about the place we have chosen and am beginning to get cold feet, particularly as we are taking a guest with us. Has anyone stayed at Rainbeaus End? or can anyone recommend a good place to stay on the island?
      Many thanks

1 Answer Aug 18, 2010 at 9:38 PM
    • Meegs's Profile Photo

Private Cabin? Waterfront?

by Meegs Online Now Jun 24, 2010 at 12:38 AM

HI Guys, I'd love to find a secluded cabin anywhere south of Campbell River and possibly even in Tofino for this coming weekend. My boyfriend and I are going ot jump on the Harley and have an impromtu weekend away...any suggestion? Private cabins are key, oceanfront even better. Budget isn't an issue.
      Thanks for your help!

6 Answers Jun 24, 2010 at 10:13 PM
    • Honeymoon Itinerary suggestions

by LMozenter Online Now May 11, 2010 at 8:31 PM

Hi! We are trying to plan a week-long honeymoon on the island in mid July, and are pretty overwhelmed. We're from Portland, OR and will be driving.

Ideally we'd like to spend a couple of days in Victoria and then find a beautiful place, with a cute town to relax, hike and enjoy the ocean (maybe Kayak...would love to see an Orca). We'd also enjoy visiting wineries and/or local farms.

We've been reading about the Gulf Islands, Tofino, the central part of the island and the North part of the Island and they all sound amazing, but we don't want to rush around and try to squeeze a million things in. Would rather relax in one place. So, how does one decide?

Any suggestions or tips would be much appreciated.

Also looking for affordable accommodations (Anything from a rustic cabin to a B&B).

Thanks!
      Lesley and Brent

2 Answers May 12, 2010 at 4:38 AM