Vancouver Island Travel Answers

change location
asilverfoote's Profile Photo

Strathcona? or other place?

by asilverfoote Online Now Jun 7, 2009 at 12:00 PM

I live in California, and am longing to be in rugged mountains, streams, rivers, etc. I really would like to go to Alaska, but it is too expensive to fly our family of 4 there. A friend suggested that we go to Strathcona Provincial Park for our vacation, and it looks quite nice from what I have seen on the internet. Here is the dilemma: I am an avid hiker, and crave being in the mountains. My husband can't sleep in an area above 3000 feet, and can only hike for a few hours up to about 4000 feet, or he becomes very ill. Would this area be viable for us? Would he be able to get some beauty at his elevation needs, and would the rest of us be able to journey higher? Where would you recommend staying, if we go to this area? Many years ago I was at Lake Louise and Banff, and absolutely loved it, but it is too high for him. Are there other areas anyone can recommend in Canada for us, knowing that my 19 and 22 year old daughters and I would also love rugged beauty, hiking, kayaking, white water rafting, hot springs, etc. We are open to anything, as long as we can get reasonable air fare (as opposed to the900 trips to Alaska), and my husband's elevation needs. I am leaning towards Strathcona, and am wondering if we go there, where to stay that would be surrounded by lakes/rivers/mountains. We will have 4-8 people, and don't think we will camp, as hauling all of our stuff will be a challenge. Thanks!

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • Camping_Girl's Profile Photo

Re: Strathcona? or other place?

by Camping_Girl Online Now Jun 9, 2009 at 10:09 PM

Waterton Lakes National Park, in southern Alberta. The actual village, where the hotels are located, is at a fairly low elevation and there are many hiking trails in the park within your elevation range.

The nearest international airport in Canada would be Calgary, or Kalispell in Montana. (Waterton is on the Montana/BC borders) You would need a rental car or a shuttle to get to Waterton; there are several options from YYC.

Check out my travel page on Waterton for more info.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Vancouver Island