Vancouver Island Travel Answers

change location
BigFella06's Profile Photo

Ecofriendly whale watching tours

by BigFella06 Online Now Apr 28, 2007 at 12:41 PM

Hi there,

My mates and I are visiting Vancouver Island in mid July and one of main activities will be whale watching in the Pacific Rim National park, Telegraph Cove or Johnstone Strait and/or Southern Gulf Islands. July is a peak season and probably most tours will be busy, but are there any less touristy, eco and marine friendly tours good for whale watching.

I know the best ecofriendly option will be kayaking but most tours are for three days and cost too much.

I have found the Seasmoke Whale watching tour Johnstone Strait in Northern Island http://www.seaorca.com/index.htm

Any recommedations will be appreciated.

Brgds,
BF

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • SamSalmon's Profile Photo

Re: Ecofriendly whale watching tours

by SamSalmon Online Now May 4, 2007 at 6:02 PM

The link as given leads to a WW company like any other-the fact is that to see Whales-any Whales in the time frame paid for then you're going to have to do so under power-that means burning fuel.

Sailing is fine when the wind is blowing and you have time to zig and zag back and forth hoping to arrive at a certain place but the simple fact is that Whales move constantly with the tides and currents travelling to feed on different Salmon runs coming down through Johnstone Strait.

You'll also have to burn fuel to travel to the 3 destinations as given-have you thought of that?

First off you're going to have to spend some money to go Whale Watching and your beat bet is out of Telegraph Cove try www.whaletime.com out of nearby Port McNeil.

A short Kayak tour out of Tofino or Ucluelet might give you a look at some juvenile Grey Whales/Dolphins/Seals Sea Lions maybe a few jumping Salmon and occasionally Orcas or Humpbacks but it's no sure thing Cetacea on the outside don't habituate in any one place except for the aforementioned juvenile Greys.

Try tlaook.com for something different.

The Southern Gulf Islands offer tours to see the most harassed marine mammals in Canada-if that's what you want join the crowd.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Vancouver Island