Vancouver Island Travel Answers

change location

Vancouver Island Itinerary

by CinRoss Online Now Jul 28, 2004 at 8:58 AM

HELP in caps for a reason. Arrive Vancouver Sat. 8/7 leaving the city Tuesday am. Then up the Sunshine Coast to the Island or straight to the Island?? Also, once on there drawn to the wild west but want to see it all! Very afraid I can't plan due to ferries and will miss one and mess us the itinerary. Are reservations really required for most towns? Which place is the best "base" from which to make day trips?

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • amambaw's Profile Photo

Re: Vancouver Island Itinerary

by amambaw Online Now Jul 31, 2004 at 12:05 AM

Hi there, Um, I'm not an expert Islander, but seeing as how you have no responses here, let me try and help. I don't know if taking a ferry from the Sunshine Coast is your best bet. The most consistent ferry service is from Tswassen (spelling?) and Horseshoe Bay, both in Greater Vancouver. If you miss the ferry (unlikely if you give yourself plenty of time), there's always another 2 hours later. The ferry ride itself is never more than 3 hours, no matter where you're going, so if you give yourselves half a day when dealing with ferries, you should be fine. Also, check with BC ferries about reservations. I've heard that this is possible, and a good idea, especially for the busy season. Once you're on the Island, there is, of course, lots to see. If you're wanting to see it all, maybe plan a route instead of choosing one base, or visit the southern part of the island before settling into one of the central towns as a base for the rest. If you do settle, I believe that Duncan is relatively central. From there, nothing is more than a day trip away (although some places will be long day trips!). Hope this helps! Cheers, Amanda

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Vancouver Island