Travel Answers
Vancouver

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• Apou's Profile Photo

What's the nice place to go out on friday or saturday night?

by Apou Online Now Jul 3, 2014 at 11:32 PM

A place for 25 years and over... :)

more
    • Rent a car necessary

by bets2020 Online Now Jul 11, 2014 at 7:09 AM

Spending a week in Vancouver this summer, if I want to go to Lynn Canyon and/or Capilano Suspension Bridge Park, will I need to rent a car or is there good public transportation?
      Tnx

more
    • briantravelman's Profile Photo

Has anyone hiked these areas?

by briantravelman Online Now Jun 22, 2014 at 12:25 PM

Widgeon Lake, Golden Ears, and Mt. Judge Howay?

I wanted to go to Whistler, but Whistler is a bit far. These areas are closer, and have the same stuff.

I was wondering, is there a trail to Widgeon Lake? If so, how long is it, and where does one park his car?
      What about Blanshard Needle, and Evan's Valley? I see there is a nice waterfall at Evan's Valley, but it doesn't look like there is a trail.
      What about Judge Howay? Someone put a picture on Google Earth, of large waterfall flowing from red rocks. Is there a waterfall up there, if so, how does one get up there?
      Can these areas be hiked easily? And how long does it take to get up there from Surrey? I was thinking about just doing a day trip.
      Also, what will the conditions be like, late June, early July. WIll it be covered in snow, or will it be accessible?
      Any other similar places you could suggest for hiking, or should we just go to Whistler?

more

Are there any other places, like the Anthropology Museum?

by briantravelman Online Now Jun 22, 2014 at 12:06 PM

I wanted to visit the Anthropology Museum, at the University, but I went on their website, and it says the fee is 16.75 CAD per person. That is quite a lot, and a bit too expensive for me.
      Are there any other places in the Vancouver area where I can see First Nations artifacts, for a cheaper price? I know there is one at Fort Langley, but the collection doesn't compare to this one.
      Is this museum worth the price?

more
    • What are the documents needed to cross the usa/canada border for visitors (new zealanders)

by jd_1134 Online Now Jul 14, 2014 at 5:48 PM

Planning to drive from seattle to vancouver, what documents do we need (i.e. we are new zealanders) besides passports
      I would also like to know, if driving conditions around january is safe in vancouver? does snow, do we need chains?

Any tips would be great

Thank you.

more
    • After your comments I am seriously thinking to cancel my family vacation.... but...

by rgfavero7 Online Now Jul 12, 2014 at 5:58 PM

I have a serious problem because I already bought my non-refundable flight tickets (they cost me a fortune by the way) and after all your comments, I am thinking just to to Victoria and avoid completely Vancouver.

Is that a good plan?.. or even Victoria also presents similar situations as Vancouver...

Thank you so much in advance for your advice...
      Bob

more

Does anyone know what kind of market this was?

by briantravelman Online Now Jul 11, 2014 at 10:32 PM

Me and my cousin walked into this street market in Gastown, and started filming, and we almost got jumped. The market was set up right next to the Ranier Hotel on the corner of Carrall and W. Cordova St. It was a Sunday.
      Anyways, those guys got really angry that were filming, and when we asked them why we can't film, they didn't answer, and were looking at us the whole time. Who were those guys? Why were they so angry about the camera? Were they selling stolen property? What kind of market was this?

I wrote a warning about it, with pictures.
      "Almost Got Jumped By Street Vendors" - Vancouver Warnings Or Dangers Tip by briantravelman

I was with my cousin who lives there, and HE didn't know what it was. His guess was as good as mine. Please, any information will help. I would like to know who these guys were who almost jumped us. I've never had anything like this happened before.

more
    • What are the documents needed to cross the usa/canada border for visitors (new zealanders)

by jd_1134 Online Now Jul 14, 2014 at 5:48 PM

Planning to drive from seattle to vancouver, what documents do we need (i.e. we are new zealanders) besides passports
      I would also like to know, if driving conditions around january is safe in vancouver? does snow, do we need chains?

Any tips would be great

Thank you.

10 Answers Jul 18, 2014 at 7:33 PM
    • After your comments I am seriously thinking to cancel my family vacation.... but...

by rgfavero7 Online Now Jul 12, 2014 at 5:58 PM

I have a serious problem because I already bought my non-refundable flight tickets (they cost me a fortune by the way) and after all your comments, I am thinking just to to Victoria and avoid completely Vancouver.

Is that a good plan?.. or even Victoria also presents similar situations as Vancouver...

Thank you so much in advance for your advice...
      Bob

17 Answers Yesterday

Does anyone know what kind of market this was?

by briantravelman Online Now Jul 11, 2014 at 10:32 PM

Me and my cousin walked into this street market in Gastown, and started filming, and we almost got jumped. The market was set up right next to the Ranier Hotel on the corner of Carrall and W. Cordova St. It was a Sunday.
      Anyways, those guys got really angry that were filming, and when we asked them why we can't film, they didn't answer, and were looking at us the whole time. Who were those guys? Why were they so angry about the camera? Were they selling stolen property? What kind of market was this?

I wrote a warning about it, with pictures.
      "Almost Got Jumped By Street Vendors" - Vancouver Warnings Or Dangers Tip by briantravelman

I was with my cousin who lives there, and HE didn't know what it was. His guess was as good as mine. Please, any information will help. I would like to know who these guys were who almost jumped us. I've never had anything like this happened before.

43 Answers Jul 14, 2014 at 12:51 PM
    • Rent a car necessary

by bets2020 Online Now Jul 11, 2014 at 7:09 AM

Spending a week in Vancouver this summer, if I want to go to Lynn Canyon and/or Capilano Suspension Bridge Park, will I need to rent a car or is there good public transportation?
      Tnx

5 Answers Jul 11, 2014 at 10:23 AM
    • Apou's Profile Photo

What's the nice place to go out on friday or saturday night?

by Apou Online Now Jul 3, 2014 at 11:32 PM

A place for 25 years and over... :)

4 Answers Yesterday

Has anyone hiked these areas?

by briantravelman Online Now Jun 22, 2014 at 12:25 PM

Widgeon Lake, Golden Ears, and Mt. Judge Howay?

I wanted to go to Whistler, but Whistler is a bit far. These areas are closer, and have the same stuff.

I was wondering, is there a trail to Widgeon Lake? If so, how long is it, and where does one park his car?
      What about Blanshard Needle, and Evan's Valley? I see there is a nice waterfall at Evan's Valley, but it doesn't look like there is a trail.
      What about Judge Howay? Someone put a picture on Google Earth, of large waterfall flowing from red rocks. Is there a waterfall up there, if so, how does one get up there?
      Can these areas be hiked easily? And how long does it take to get up there from Surrey? I was thinking about just doing a day trip.
      Also, what will the conditions be like, late June, early July. WIll it be covered in snow, or will it be accessible?
      Any other similar places you could suggest for hiking, or should we just go to Whistler?

5 Answers Jul 5, 2014 at 1:40 AM

Are there any other places, like the Anthropology Museum?

by briantravelman Online Now Jun 22, 2014 at 12:06 PM

I wanted to visit the Anthropology Museum, at the University, but I went on their website, and it says the fee is 16.75 CAD per person. That is quite a lot, and a bit too expensive for me.
      Are there any other places in the Vancouver area where I can see First Nations artifacts, for a cheaper price? I know there is one at Fort Langley, but the collection doesn't compare to this one.
      Is this museum worth the price?

8 Answers Jul 11, 2014 at 10:46 PM
    • First time flyer/ international traveler

by jdchicky10 Online Now Jun 16, 2014 at 1:20 PM

So I am traveling with my husband to Vancouver in late July of this year. Neither of us have ever flown before let alone been out of the country. So I am looking for some advice on what to absolutely not bring and what I should bring for a week in Vancouver. I'm also looking for some ideas on what we should expect in the airport once we've crossed the border and the best/cheapest ways to get around town. Anything will help!

7 Answers Jun 18, 2014 at 10:07 AM
    • Travel within BC

by halz Online Now Jun 9, 2014 at 11:04 AM

We are flying into Vancouver and going directly to Victoria for a couple of days, then back to Vancouver for 5 days. What's the best way to travel between Vancouver and Victoria?

8 Answers Jun 10, 2014 at 11:17 AM
    • Niteclubs on the granville stip in vancouver bc

by jw56 Online Now Jun 8, 2014 at 11:07 PM

how is the roxy nite club for weekday nites and their bands in 2014 in Vancouver bc

1 Answer Jun 9, 2014 at 1:38 AM
    • 5 day Itinerary

by vanessacardez Online Now Jun 5, 2014 at 8:21 AM

Hi my husband and I are planning on a trip to Seattle and Vancouver. We have a 16 day trip, arrive the 23 of july at Seattle and have a alaska cruise from the 29 to 5 of august. So we have 5 days between Seattle and Vancouver to plan. Wanted to make the best of both sides in this time. Any ideas? ( Would like to see snow, is it possible?)

7 Answers Jun 5, 2014 at 10:20 PM
    • travelgirl214's Profile Photo

Top non-touristy things to do in Vancouver

by travelgirl214 Online Now May 27, 2014 at 10:49 AM

My husband and I are traveling to Vancouver in September. Spending 2 nights in Vancouver and 1 night in Victoria. Does anyone have any recommendations on things to do and see, areas to stay in, in either place? We will have a car. We enjoy good craft beers, laid back, artsy lifestyles. Not much for shopping or dance clubs. LOVE sushi. And enjoy walking around exploring areas. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! (also, we will be driving to Seattle, if anyone has any more tidbits on that drive.) Thanks so much!

10 Answers Jun 5, 2014 at 1:23 AM
    • Timing and transportation

by Wisconsinnomore Online Now May 20, 2014 at 8:04 PM

Have a family wedding in Mt. Hood and want to extend our time for a vacation. Thinking it is most advantageous to fly into Vancouver take a train to Seattle or ferry to Victoria then Seattle. Will we need a rental car in Seattle? We will be picking one up to get down to Mt. Hood. How much time do we need to tour from Seattle to mt. Hood? How much time will we need to do the mt. Hood/Portland area justice.

3 Answers May 21, 2014 at 1:41 AM
    • 1jabbar's Profile Photo

Bridgeport skytrain station///Richmond night market

by 1jabbar Online Now May 19, 2014 at 7:37 PM

Is Bridgeport station within walking distance to the night market in Richmond? Any answers appreciated.

2 Answers May 19, 2014 at 8:24 PM
    • shavy's Profile Photo

Shopping mall in Richmond

by shavy Online Now May 14, 2014 at 10:58 AM

We'll landed at 4.30 pm and then pick-up our car at the airport, we need some stuff before heading to other places I've found Target store in Richmond as I read it can be very busy during the afternoon,  then proceed to the shopping mall I've seen the opening hour of the mall is only open till 5.30 pm on Wednesday

Is there any other shopping mall opened later than 5.30 pm?

Thanks in advance

8 Answers May 16, 2014 at 7:58 AM
    • Hike by myself! What about information?

by Johan81 Online Now May 4, 2014 at 8:23 AM

Hi,

I´ve been searching info about of the parks that I will visit during my stay in Vanouver.

I will absolutely visit Lynn Canyon, Grouse Mountain and The Chief and maybe something in Whistler or Alice Lake.

I´m going to travel on my own, but today when I was searching I read "Never hike by yourself". But is there any problems within the areas I mentioned?
      Is it crowded in the middle of May or is there any possibility that I´m "alone"? I was thinking of if I will find people during my walk to stroll with...

Is it easy to follow the paths? Are they well marked and will I find maps within the parks or do I have to print maps in advance?

I think the parks I have choosen will siut me well, BUT I have a picture in my head which I hope I´m going to see IRL. It´s a lake with the mountain (with snow on the top) in the background and cristal clear turquoise water. And no wind so the water is still :-)
      But time will tell... Hehe...

Br
      //Johan

7 Answers May 6, 2014 at 8:45 AM
    • Second opinion - My itinerary Vancouver, Squamish, Seattle

by Johan81 Online Now May 2, 2014 at 2:25 PM

I´m grateful to this forum. Now I think I´ve decided my itinerary, but I need a second opinion. I want to see as much as possible during my 13 days but I don´t want it to be to stressful. I must have time to enjoy the places I visit.
      I want to see the nature, beautiful landscapes, enjoy the atmosphere. I like taking photos so I would like to have many photo opportunities, "kodak moments"...

Okay, here we go;

Day 1; I will arrive to Vancouver Airport around 2pm after a flight from Sweden, via Germany.
      Day 2-4: Explore Downtown Vancouver, whale watch tour, short trip outside Downtown to Lynn Canyon Park.
      Day 5-7: I the beginning I said I won´t hire a car, but i changed my mind... In the morning, hire a car and drive along Sea to Sky Highway to Squamish. Explore the surrounding area. On the morning Day 7 I will return to Vancouver, return the car and after lunch take a bus to Seattle.
      Day:8-11: Explore Seattle, see Seattle Sounders and go to Seattle Premium Outlet for shopping. I will stay almost the whole day at the outlet. Day 11 I will return to Vancouver
      Day 12-13: Enjoy Vancouver, maybe a short trip outside the city..Grouse Mountain! In the evening day 13 I have to return to Sweden...

What do you think? Is it manageable?

I´m a little bit concerned about a couple of things. Is it to short in the beginning in Vancouver? Would it be better to take one more night in Vancouver and only one night in Squamish? The thing is that I have to be in Seattle in the morning day 8, so I have to arrive in the evening day 7...

Hope I can get some feedback!

Br
      //Johan

8 Answers May 3, 2014 at 9:33 PM
    • Vancouver without own car

by Johan81 Online Now Apr 30, 2014 at 11:15 AM

Hi,

I´m going to Vancouver in May, but my plan is to explore the city and surroundings only with public transportation. Is that a problem? My thoughts is to explore the city for a day or two, than travel outside the city, ie Lynn Canyons. Maybe I´m also goung to Vancouver Island.

Is it a problem to travel without a car or is the public transportation network well developed? Or is it time-consuming?

Br
      Johan

14 Answers May 2, 2014 at 2:42 PM
    • I need help deciding on a 7 day itinerary while visiting the Vancouver area

by austin_tx Online Now Apr 25, 2014 at 8:12 PM

Please suggest/comment on the following itinerary and if it would even be manageable for a 7 day trip. Is this enough time in Tofino or even worth the drive?

Itinerary 1
      Day 1: Fly into Vancouver early in the morning, drive to Whistler for the day and drive home
      Day 2: Drive to Tofino
      Day 3: Explore Tofino, maybe hot springs
      Day 4: Explore Tofino, Drive from Tofino to Nanaimo
      Day 5: Drive from Nanaimo to Vancouver, explore vancouver
      Day 6: Explore Vancouver
      Day 7: Explore Vancouver
      Day 8: Fly Home

Itinerary 1
      Day 1: Fly into Vancouver early in the morning, drive to Tofino
      Day 2: Explore Tofino, maybe hot springs
      Day 3: Explore Tofino, drive from Tofino to Nanaimo
      Day 4: Drive from Nanaimo to Vancouver, Explore Vancouver
      Day 5: Explore Vancouver
      Day 6: Drive to Whistler for Day Trip
      Day 7: Explore Vancouver
      Day 8: Fly Home

THANKS!!

5 Answers Apr 30, 2014 at 11:36 AM
    • Vancouver & Vancouver Island Trip (Non-Touristy/Hipster Trip)

by austin_tx Online Now Apr 25, 2014 at 7:13 AM

I am traveling to Vancouver & Vancouver Island this upcoming June! I am from Austin, Tx and have lived in San Francisco as well. I would love to explore the city and island but will only be up there for 7 days and want to make the most of my time. I would love to plan a well-curated trip with awesome local shops, farm to table restaurants, etc.. Are there any places to visit/things to see/things to do that would be similar to Austin or San Francisco that are non-touristy things to do? I've thought about purchasing the Vancouver City Guide from Cereal Magazine but I wanted to first get opinions from locals or those that have visited the area on well curated places to visit/thing to do/islands to visit. I would be even up for spending the night in a teepee or airstream, renting a vw bus and driving around, etc. exploring beautifully architected buildings or spacing similar to ace hotel in palm springs. Basically anything unique and once in a lifetime must see/do experiences while exploring Vancouvre and Vancouver Island since Ive never been.

Thanks!

1 Answer Apr 25, 2014 at 8:22 PM
    • Vancouver & Vancouver Island itinerary (non touristy + exotic/remote) for 7 day trip end of June

by austin_tx Online Now Apr 25, 2014 at 6:57 AM

I will be traveling to Vancouver the end of June and am trying to plan an itinerary. I've compiled a list of possible things to do/see but would love suggestions on the following or any additional must see/do activities. I would love to explore and wander the natural beauty that the coastline has to offer and well as explore Vancouver the city itself. I would also love to possibly take a seaplane to a remote island or do anything non-touristy. Here's a list of places below and would love commentary and possibly itinerary suggestions for those that have visited the area. I've never been and want to make the most of my 7 days. Thanks!! Also, I realize I listed more places below that will actually be possibly to visit but I would love any/all suggestions or top things to see while avoiding super touristy things unless it's a 'must-see'.

Sea to Sky Highway - 2 hr drive
      Wild Pacific Trail - Hiking in Ucluelet
      Vancouver Seawall
      Chesterman Beach (Tofino)
      Stanley Park
      Pacific Rim National Park
      Schooner Cove (Tofino)
      Long Beach (Tofino)
      VanDusen Botanical Gardens (Vancouver)
      Stawamus Chief Park (North Vancouver)
      Cathedral Grove (Pacific Rim)
      Rainforest Trail (Tofino)
      Clayoquot Sound (Tofino)
      Granville Island (Vancouver) + AquaBus Ferries
      Spanish Banks (Vancouver)
      Downtown Vancouver
      Amphitrite Point Lighthouse (Ucluelet)
      Kitsilano Pool (Vancouver)
      Hot Springs Cove (Tofino)
      Orpheum Theatre (Vancouver)
      Marine Building (Vancouver)
      Kinsol Trestle (Vancouver Island)

1 Answer Apr 25, 2014 at 8:23 PM
    • How to plan a week's vacatiion to cover Vancouver, Seattle and Whistler.

by sherryQ Online Now Apr 9, 2014 at 8:45 PM

We are a family of four (boy 19 and girl 14) and will be flying from Calgary to Vancouver for a week only and would like to visit Vancouver, Seattle and Whistler. How many days in Seattle would you recommend? what about Whistler, over night stay or two nights? I was not sure if we should go straight to Seattle from Vancouver on day we arrive from Calgary. This will be our first Vancouver visit. Three years ago, we drove from Calgary to Victoria, so we want to avoid Victoria this time. Any recommendations for sightseeing in Vancouver that we can do in three or four days?

Thanks
      Raza

3 Answers Apr 23, 2014 at 7:05 PM
    • Vancouver Island (BC) or Olympic National Park (WA)

by Romain_T Online Now Apr 8, 2014 at 3:46 AM

I am planning a trip to Western Canada in early june. I will only have 7 days to go from Vancouver, BC, to Seattle.

Therefore, I have two options to enjoy the place :
      - going to Vancouver Island (Pacific Rim :Tofino) from Vancouver and leaving to Seattle from Victoria, BC (with ferry)
      - or just crossing Vancouver Island to get to Port Angeles and the Olympic National Park (Vancouver -> Victoria and Victoria -> Port Angeles by ferries)

As I will be getting to Vancouver area from the Canadian Rockies (Banff, Jasper), I am not especially looking for mountains in these coastal parks. I am more looking for oceans and rainforest instead. But I'm not sure which park would be the best option (Pacific Rim or Olympic National Park).

Can someone give me some advice? If you had to choose between both, which one would you visit?

Thank you in advance!!

9 Answers Apr 10, 2014 at 8:08 AM
    • Vancouver on a ship

by terhelena Online Now Apr 3, 2014 at 11:11 AM

Where is the Cruise Terminal in Vancouver?

3 Answers Apr 23, 2014 at 7:06 PM
    • rickd11's Profile Photo

Where's a good place to rent a bike?

by rickd11 Online Now Mar 28, 2014 at 11:38 AM

Where's a good place to rent a bike?

4 Answers Mar 30, 2014 at 6:27 AM
    • Budget place for 4 to stay a 1or 2 nights in Victoria

by M104 Online Now Mar 23, 2014 at 10:06 AM

Hi we are planning to stay 2 nights in Victoria island. What is your suggestion for a budget place to stay in Victoria? We are 4 people with no cars. Thanks

4 Answers Mar 23, 2014 at 11:41 PM
    • How to entertain yourself in Vancouver

by MilaMeijer Online Now Mar 19, 2014 at 6:02 AM

Heyhey,

In August I will be in Vancouver for a week with my boyfriend who is then at a congress. I will have to entertain myself this week because he will be busy every whole day. Are there any places/fora where I can meet people who would like to explore the city and surroundings with me?

4 Answers Mar 19, 2014 at 11:34 AM
    • 7 DAYS IN WEST CANADA

by EdaCanada Online Now Feb 20, 2014 at 2:59 AM

Hello!! I am going to Canada next week and I would like to know for 7 days what is a must to see in Vancouver and also I would like to go to the Rocky Mountains.

Any tips for the itinerary?

Thans a million!

10 Answers Feb 25, 2014 at 4:10 PM
    • Coats in Vancouver

by tasmanianelle Online Now Feb 8, 2014 at 3:12 PM

Hi, I am moving to vancouver on Wednesday and i do not have a winter coat yet. Where would be the best place to buy one for under $300 in the downtown area.

4 Answers Feb 10, 2014 at 10:26 PM

Have any other tourists had trouble taking out money in Vancouver?

by briantravelman Online Now Feb 1, 2014 at 12:19 PM

This happeneds every time we go to Vancouver. We have to go to several different ATMs or banks, before we finally find one that will let us take out Canadian money. A lot of stores will only take credit cards, but there are some places where you need cash, so we always like to have a little, but we always have problem taking out cash in Canada. And some places to not accept American money.
      I know thousands of Americans visit Canada everyday, and some how are able to pay for things, so maybe they know something I don't.
      I don't know if this is a problem in all of Canada, just big cities, or just Vancouver, but for some reason, banks and ATMs never let us take out Canadian cash.
      Does anyone else have this problem? If not, what do you do to take out Canadian currency? Because this is ridiculous. It wastes a lot precious time. Can you exchange your cash at the border?
      I have family in Vancouver, and they are some how able to get American money, but it's really difficult for us to get Canadian money.
      IDK. We've been to different countries in Europe, and all we do is slide our card, and enter our pin, and it gives us the local currency. IDK why this is always a problem in Canada.

10 Answers Apr 23, 2014 at 7:08 PM