Valparaíso Travel Answers

change location

santiago to valparaiso

by vickylou84 Online Now Feb 9, 2010 at 5:25 PM

i am a crew member joining a cruise ship on the 23rd of feb
i fly into santiago comodoro arturo merino benitez int airport at 1pm on the 23rd and must be on my ship at 4pm. whats the best way to get there? how far is it? how much money do u think i will need for a taxi?

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • Re: santiago to valparaiso

by Huentetu Online Now Feb 9, 2010 at 6:19 PM

The cheapest way is going to be too tight. Airport bus to Pajaritos metro station, bus to Valparaiso bus station, taxi to dock. That doesn't include time going through customs etc. Even if you took a taxi from the airport to Pajaritos to save time, I don't think you can do it in the time.Each of those buses requires a small wait which adds to the time needed.
    More expensive option: taxi from the airport to the dock. That should cost somewhere around US$130 dollars.
    If you want a taxi at the airport, book one at the desks just before you exit the customs area (after scanning and collecting your luggage) as the prices are fixed and the cars safe. There are also desks outside the customs area but there are a lot of drivers milling around looking for fares and they are not official taxis. Best to have your taxi sorted before you come out into the public areas of the airport.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: santiago to valparaiso

by juanpa Online Now Feb 12, 2010 at 7:35 PM

You are really in a very tight schedule. From the airport to the cruise terminal takes 75 minutes, plus time (app. 10 minutes) to walk from the exit doors of the international arrivals until your taxi leaves from parking place, means about 85 minutes. If you are a US citizen (as well as canadians, mexicans), then must to go first to pay the Reciprocity Fee, then Immigration, then baggage, then customs; that easily take 60 minutes more. That means you are ready at 2 PM, arriving to the cruise terminal (not to the pier !!) app. 3:30 PM. In the cruise terminal you must to go by the check-in, customs/x rays machine and then take a free shuttle bus (all together at least 10-15 minutes more) to the pier. That it is 3:40-3:45 PM.
    As a summary, do not spend time going to those desks, as they will take time processing you.
    Much better and safe you look in internet for a trusty service that will provide you with a driver that will be waiting for you outside the exit door and run to the taxi. Every minute it worth value.
    The value in dollars of the taxi service can fluctuate a lot (up to US180-190) depending of the service, company, as well as the day of the service (weekends tolls are more expensive), destination (cruise terminal more expensive as in many cases taxis must to pay a almost US$10 entrance fee) and, of course, the incredible ups and downs of the USD against the chilean peso.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines