Valletta Travel Answers

change location
davidgu's Profile Photo

Day trip from Gozo to Valletta by seaplane

by davidgu Online Now Jul 26, 2011 at 1:48 PM

My girlfriend, my 14yr old son and I have a week's holiday in Gozo in August. We're thinking of taking the seaplane to Valetta for a day trip.

We're open to suggestions as to what to see ... bear in mind that we'd like things that all three of us can appreciate, so we need to satisfy the needs of a 14 year old boy and us two in our late 40s! We've all got at least some interest in history, art and architecture.

I'd earmarked the Malta Experience show (for a good grounding in the history so we know what we're looking at later) the noon-day gun at Barrakka Gardens and the Co-Cathedral.

How long should we allow to cover all those?

Is there anything else that we could fit in without rushing, and that would suit all of us?

Thanks

Dave

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • Maurizioago's Profile Photo

Re: Day trip from Gozo to Valletta by seaplane

by Maurizioago Online Now Jul 26, 2011 at 10:41 PM

I think a full day in Valletta would do to explore the town quite well.

You could add a second visit to Malta to go to Mdina.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • DSwede's Profile Photo

by DSwede Online Now Jul 27, 2011 at 2:00 AM

While you could probably spend more time there, I'd say your 14yr son would max out after about 90 minutes in the Co-Cathedral. But it is a must see. If I were you, I'd walk by and see about the lines first. If they are short, go in. If they are long, just continue walking to see something else and come back after the cruise ship groups have left the queue.

The noon day gun itself only takes about ~10 minutes for the set up, some brief words by the guards, then the firing itself. Best to find your spot by about ~11:45, then you're free to leave ~12:05.

There's several other things to do and see in Valetta, but I'd say with the exception of the Malta Experience show, you'd average about an hour per site. You'd have time for St Pauls Shipwreck Church, the Fort, etc. In my humble opinion, I'd just recommend walking the old town with no set objective for a couple hours and simply stop when you see something.

• doodybee's Profile Photo

by doodybee Online Now Jul 27, 2011 at 11:15 AM

other than the Underground Museum ( where the town hid from the germans bombs ) i would just keep walking as said previously - theres loads to see
    Enjoy your trip

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines