Valletta Travel Answers

change location
schmechi's Profile Photo

Grand Harbour Cruises

by schmechi Online Now Aug 8, 2009 at 6:09 AM

I have got some questions about Grand Harbour cruises: Which operators are recommandable for these? And when do they start, how long does a tour take? Do they all start in Sliema? And finally: Is it more advisable to do a cruise a.m. or p.m. for photography reasons (eg. back lighting due to sun, etc).

Thanx in advance!

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • leics's Profile Photo

Re: Grand Harbour Cruises

by leics Online Now Aug 8, 2009 at 9:46 AM

Most go from Sliema, some pick-up from Valletta as well, one or two go from other places. Some take longer than others. E.g.

malta247.com/template2.asp?t... 60 minutes, from Sliema

harbourcruisemalta.com/malta... lasts 3 hours, also from Sliema. (The same company does an evening cruise).

I suspect all are much of a muchness, depending on how long you want to cruise for and what 'extras' you may desire.

Valletta is on the north coast, with the inlets (Vittoriosa etc) running very roughly NW/SE......so where the sun will be am or pm depends on which way you are looking, and where you are in the harbour, if you see what I mean.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • mara_sphinx's Profile Photo

by mara_sphinx Online Now Aug 8, 2009 at 6:16 PM

The best photos there to me are in early morning))) Enjoy your cruise:)

• My opinion :)

by amy.b Online Now Sep 16, 2009 at 4:09 AM

Hi Schmechi,I'm a woman from Malta.
    The most famous Grand Harbour Cruises agency in Malta is Captain Morgan.
    Many of its cruises leave from Sliem yes,but not all.
    And about if its the best to take photos at a.m or p.m,
    I tell you that your photos will be beautiful no matter what,because malta is nice for photos for both am or pm,in the morning its very fascinating yes,but during the night it is also very nice,because the fortifications of the capital city,Valletta,are with lights around them,that make them look very mysterious and marvellous.
    Have a nice holiday in Malta!
    Amy.B

• darkjedi's Profile Photo

by darkjedi Online Now Aug 14, 2010 at 11:45 PM

Hi Schmechi, I did the Captain Morgan harbour cruise on last Sunday and it lasted almost 3 hours doing a visit to the main 5 harbours on both sides of Valletta. We did the first cruise of the day at 900am. Here are some photos from that cruise for you to see the sun positions. This week sunrise is about 600am in Valletta. My advise is to slightly under expose everything, the sun there is VERY bright and its easier to recover underexposure than find detail in overexposure. I found Malta to be a wonderful place for photography. Good shooting :)

flickr.com/photos/darkjedi/4...

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines