Valletta Travel Answers

change location
schmechi's Profile Photo

Where to stay in Malta for locational tour

by schmechi Online Now Jul 28, 2009 at 5:51 AM

Which Maltese site you'd recommend as basis for locational tours around the island and Gozo?

I'll visit Malta in late October for about 4 days. I am planning to visit Valetta's old town, Gozo and Hal Saflieni Hypogeum for sure and every other site, I'm able to do...

btw: I'd prefer to stay somewhere, where I can go out at night and not in the middle of nowhere. Please keep in mind, that the bathing season will be over...

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • ROCKARIA's Profile Photo

Re: Where to stay in Malta for locational tour

by ROCKARIA Online Now Jul 28, 2009 at 6:37 AM

I would say locate yourself in St Julians/Sliema area that way you can enjoy the nightlife better or the occasional swim ...weather permitting.
    These places are good pick up points for tours around the island or Gozo as these areas are full of hotels.
    Bus stops are frequent along the strand and one can visit most places including Valletta which is the main city and not a town.Valletta is a very active city during the day but rather quite in the evening....good for restaurants and wine bars.
    Hal Saflieni Hypogeum one need to book before hand via internet for a ticket.
    Have fun & enjoy :)

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • kathymof's Profile Photo

by kathymof Online Now Jul 28, 2009 at 9:19 AM

A nice thing about Valetta is that almost all buses, going anywhere on the main island, leave from the Valetta Old Town. Make reservations for the Hypogeum in advance if you can as they only take a few people at a time on the tours. Malta is fascinating - have a great time.

• ray_d's Profile Photo

by ray_d Online Now Jul 30, 2009 at 1:14 AM

Sliema, Valletta, Gzira and St Julians are all places acceptable to your needs.

www.heritagemalta.gov is where you can book for the Hypogeum.
    Book early, tour groups are limited and they get booked out quickly.

Malta is small so nothing is too far away. I am sure you can get your party-buzz...bring money :o)

Bathing season will not be over...it is just an ugly rumour.
    However the water temperature might have gone down to 18 deg C.

You can do Gozo, there, back and a tour of the island, in a day!
    Or you could spend a lifetime understanding the culture.

You can do, pretty much, everything you seek to do, in comfort, in 4 days, in a car.
    You can do little without one, but buses and tours will show you everything with some discomfort.
    What you would get out of them would depend on you reading up on each site beforehand.

Have fun.:o)

• schmechi's Profile Photo

by schmechi Online Now Jul 30, 2009 at 5:10 AM

Thanx for the answers so far...

What are the operating times of public transport? And are taxis expensiv or are they a good way to get around?

regarding the bating season: It's fine to hear, that it'll be possible to cool off in the sea, but the main reason for my journey is sightseeing and not bathing.

• ray_d's Profile Photo

by ray_d Online Now Jul 30, 2009 at 8:22 AM

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines