Valletta Travel Answers

change location

La-Meridien Phoenicia Hotel

by arthurharding Online Now Oct 11, 2007 at 3:26 AM

Hi We are based in the UK and are looking to come to Malta during late May and want to stay in or around Valletta.

We were thinking of staying at the Phoenicia Hotel but are now unsure as I understand it is not part of the La-Meridien group any more so am usure who ownes it now and what the standard would be like?? Can anyone help please. Or recommend anthother good four or five star hotel in the Valletta area

Also is it good weather in mAy ( do not mind if there is not much sun but really dont want rain!!!)

Hope you can help

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • CliffClaven's Profile Photo

Re: La-Meridien Phoenicia Hotel

by CliffClaven Online Now Oct 11, 2007 at 3:57 AM

The Meridien group was apparently taken over by Sheraton a couple of years ago, but the name has been retained for the various properties around the world. The Phoenicia in Valletta is very comfortable and is well up to the standards you would expect of a hotel in its class. Breakfast is served in the bright and spacious restaurant, and there is a fairly cosy bar for a latenight drink.

But - there is always a "but"! - the hotel is in Valletta, which tends to be very quiet in the evening, which means that there is a very limited choice of bars and restaurants. If you want to drink/dine in a livelier part of the island - Sliema or, especially, Paceville - you'll need to take a taxi. Or choose a different hotel.

The Phoenicia was where Oliver Reed was staying when he died in Malta. The bar where he had his last drinking session is about 10 minutes' walk from the hotel, but it is open only during the day.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Neilzonwheelz's Profile Photo

by Neilzonwheelz Online Now Oct 11, 2007 at 4:28 AM

I stayed there for 1 night in early June, given that I don't know what standard u r interested in. I found it old, even a worn feeling to it. Great location for Daytime sightseeing and bus station is 5 minute walk for traveling to other towns. I never had time to visit the garden or the pool but I heard they were very good. Have a look at www.tripadvisor.com for reviews.
    The weather in early June was hot, 2 days of rain, overcast skies.

• oRi_5's Profile Photo

by oRi_5 Online Now Oct 21, 2007 at 1:38 AM

The Meridien Phoenicia has been standing for quite a few years now so understandbly it is starting to get 'worn' now. It is still a good prestigious hotel. If you would like something newer - the Excelsior hotel just opened this year and it is just round the corner from the phoenicia - please note that you will have a bit of a hill climb everymorning to get to the bus terminus as it is at the bottom of the hill near the sea - where as Valletta is situated on a hill. It's not a hill anyone can really complain about mind you - you just might need to catch your breath for a few seconds if you're used to sitting at a desk all day! :)

However, like the previous poster wrote....Valletta is dead at night so if you enjoy going out in the evenings then I suggest somewhere closer to Sliema or St Julians. If on the other hand you prefer going around in the day time and just having a drink in the evening before going to bed than its fine.

May is the perfect time to travel to Malta - not too hot and not too cold. We usually get a freak shower in early June before the hot season starts.

Enjoy your holiday!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines