Valletta Travel Answers

change location

wheelchair access in town center

by oliverjp Online Now May 1, 2007 at 8:49 AM

We will be arriving via cruise ship for a one day visit. My wife can not go up/down more than 1 or 2 steps and needs a wheelchair for distances of more than a few dozen yards. If we take a taxi or carraige to town how hard will it be to wander and shop etc?

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • hawkhead's Profile Photo

Re: wheelchair access in town center

by hawkhead Online Now May 1, 2007 at 9:46 AM

I don't know about the shop part but certainly you will be able to wander around the main streets, as the main ones are level. As I remember most of the shops seem to just have the one step into them.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • ray_d's Profile Photo

by ray_d Online Now May 1, 2007 at 4:21 PM

Valletta is not particularly disabled friendly but it does not mean that it cannot be enjoyed by wheelchair.

However the City centre is not allowed traffic so it would only be accessible in a chair.

• Xemx's Profile Photo

by Xemx Online Now May 2, 2007 at 12:47 PM

I agree with the previous two replies...it's quite easy to wander around and shop in the centre of Valletta. Once you leave the shopping area, however, it's not level and you will need extra strength to handle a wheelchair. You might also want to consider using the wheelchair for the distance between the cruise ship and Valletta. There is tunnel which connects the Valletta Waterfront to MCP car park in Floriana, which is just off the main gate of Valletta. I don't know exactly where the cruise ship will stop but it's bound to be very close to the Valletta Waterfront. Enjoy your short visit! Anne

• Re: wheelchair access in town center

by danielson81 Online Now May 9, 2007 at 3:12 PM

Taken from: visitmalta.com/accessibility...

If you have a disability or any specific need please contact us before you travel. The National Commission Persons with Disability, a government organisation dedicated to improve the quality of life of disabled persons, has a useful web site with numerous contact details and links. They are also able to provide useful information on other organisations which can help you while you are in Malta.

National Commission Persons with Disability
    (Kummissjoni Nazzjonali Persuni b'Dizabilita)
    Centru Hidma Socjali
    Sta. Venera HMR 18, MALTA
    Tel: +356 21487789
    Text Telephone: +356 21446536;
    Fax: +356 21484609
    Email: helpdesk@knpd.org

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines