Valletta Travel Answers

change location
MikeStarr5's Profile Photo

Carnival Week - February 2006

by MikeStarr5 Online Now Dec 20, 2005 at 5:50 AM

My girlfriend and I were thinking about going to Malta for a short break - She suggested sometime around mid-February as it co-incided with both Valentines Day (14th Feb) and her birthday which is 2 days later. It is the first time in Malta for both of us.

When I did some research, I found that the Annual Maltese Carnival was taking place this year from Feb 24-28.

I suspect it will very quiet in mid-Feb, so I am wondering whether to suggest that we go later in the month or not. Maybe somebody could list the advantages and disadvantages of the 2 periods in question.

Is the carnival really spectacular, lasting 4 whole days or just a procession with a few floats, lasting a couple of hours ?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • RE: Carnival Week - February 2006

by MB2004 Online Now Dec 20, 2005 at 7:45 AM

I spent a few days in Valetta while the carnival was taking place. From what I can remember it was worthwhile seeing and I enjoyed watching all the floats go passed. The main streets were very busy, so if you don't enjoy being in a crowd or jostling for position then you might want to think twice about it. Feb is a quiet time to go although I enjoyed going into local bars in the evening. Alot of the touristy bars around St Juilans bay area were very quiet bording on dead.
    Hope this helps

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • ray_d's Profile Photo

RE: Carnival Week - February 2006

by ray_d Online Now Dec 22, 2005 at 3:06 AM

Febuary is not a particularally good month to go.
    However that is probably why it is cheaper.

Carnivale itself is reasonably muted.
    Lots of beautiful floats and people but do not expect a South American extravanza.

Depending on your tastes, history, archeology and archetecture could occupy you.
    However if you mean to party it is not the time of year to do it.

The Island is a little cold and a bit rainy in Febuary but otherwise should be pretty and relaxed.

As far an which side of the month to go, it really does not change so much, weatherwise, in 1 month.

Carnevale is amusing none-the-less.

• MikeStarr5's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Carnival Week - February 2006

by MikeStarr5 Online Now Feb 12, 2006 at 3:23 PM

Many thanks for the replies guys

Mike

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines