Valencia Travel Answers

change location

3rd World Country? I think not.

by TravellerVZLA Online Now Nov 10, 2006 at 5:06 PM

I saw in the travel guide for Valencia, under warnings, that someone says that Venezuela is a 3rd world country. I am just wondering how this person came to be so misinformed? Anyone who paid any attention while in Venezuela, especially Valencia, would have realized that it is simply "different" from the States, and from Europe. Does that make it third world? absolutely not! Venezuela is a beautiful, modern country with so much to offer. Perhaps this person should visit a real third world country in order to clarify things a bit.

My question is this: did anyone else get the impression that Venezuela is a third world country? Did you visit Valencia, and if so, what did you think?

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • kiwi's Profile Photo

3rd World Country? I think not.

by kiwi Online Now Nov 10, 2006 at 5:39 PM

Of course here on VT, input is by individuals. If you disagree with what they write, the best thing to do is build a page and showcase the location to be as you see it. I guess the perception of "third world" can be misconstrued by general terminology. Are you from Venezuela? and No I have not been there sorry.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • vtveen's Profile Photo

RE: 3rd World Country? I think not.

by vtveen Online Now Nov 11, 2006 at 2:14 AM

I suppose you are from Venezuela and agree with 'kiwi' building VT pages about Venezuela and/or valencia would be much better to convince other travellers to come to your country.

• anaglenny's Profile Photo

RE: 3rd World Country? I think not.

by anaglenny Online Now Nov 13, 2006 at 10:07 AM

Hi! I am from Venezuela and I have been in Valencia many times. Venezuela is a very modern, educated, cosmopolitan and beautiful country. I would also say that Venezuela is one of the most technologically advanced countries in the region.
    Venezuela is also a third world country but it is just a political definition that was created several decades ago to separate developed capitalist countries from developed communist countries and undeveloped countries. Since Venezuela and all Latin American countries are undeveloped countries we fall under this category. Some people really do not understand where this clasification comes from and they use it freely. Do not worry about it! This is probably someone who does not have a clue what the definition of a third world country is.

• Lady_Disdain's Profile Photo

RE: RE: 3rd World Country? I think not.

by Lady_Disdain Online Now Nov 16, 2006 at 2:25 PM

Venezuela is considered a third world country because of statistics such as:

Natal mortality: 22.2 babies out of 1000 die in the first year of life
    10% of children under 5 are malnurished
    20% of children are not immunized for measles

16$ of the population does not have access to clean water (42% in rural areas!)
    31% of the population does not have access to a sewage system (31% in rural areas)
    65% do not have access to a telephone
    8% have internet access

Average per capita income of US$ 5,800 (purchasing power parity)
    31% of the population is below the national poverty line
    32% of the population lives on less than US$ 2/day (compare with the line above to get an idea of what is considered poverty locally)

(these statistics come from the United Nations, World Bank and a few other sources I consider reliable)

As you say, it is different. I agree. Better or worse? To say that Venezuela is a third world country is not a negative classification, but rather an analisys of social and economic indicators.

A country can have modern cities and industries but still be a third world country.

It is even harder to say if a country is developed or not based on a visit to a single location (I am not sure if that is your case, but you mention Valencia several times, but no other cities), since you cannot get an over all over impression of the country.

• anaglenny's Profile Photo

RE: RE: 3rd World Country? I think not.

by anaglenny Online Now Dec 3, 2006 at 2:56 PM

Lady Disdain, I agree with you. I have traveled thru most of my country and I talked specifically about Valencia because that was the city mentioned on the initial posting. Some of your statistics are accurate, some are not, but I don't think that being considered a third world country is bad. And we are definitely different from the States and Europe, it is just the way it is!!!!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines