Valdez Travel Answers

change location

Glacier Sound Inn

by LaurenBloo Online Now May 15, 2006 at 8:53 PM

Hi, the Glacier Sound Inn seems to be the cheapest lodging option in Valdez. Since it's just me traveling alone, I want to make sure it is in a decent area, not sketchy or anything. Anyone know of it and if it is okay?!?! Thanks!

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • RE: Glacier Sound Inn

by gagesmom1 Online Now Jun 2, 2006 at 12:20 PM

Hi, I am not familiar with the Glacier Sound Inn, but my family and I will also be in Valdez this summer. I tried to get some information via several websites for you, but nothing really helpful came up. I would suggest checking out the Valdez tourism site at www.valdezalaska.org. If all else fails, and you get no replies from this forum, you can go to the Valdez information section of the www.valdwzalaska.org site which lists contact information for the local police department,and e-mail or call them-THEY should know if the hotel is safe for single travelers.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • RE: Glacier Sound Inn

by jackin Online Now Jun 26, 2006 at 1:12 AM

I've never stayed at the Inn you mentioned but I do visit Valdez often and ahve been there roughly 10-15 times over the past decade. There really are no sketchy areas of town other than the hillsides in town where some summer cannery workers set up tents but most are harmless and only looking to work and save money. Most of them leave their campsites set up while they're gone so that says something. Another thing to consider is it's near daylight almost all day during the summer so people are out and about all day. ..like i said, no real sketchy areas of town. The 24 hour grocery store, Eagles, has customers all day long. ...er, actually, it's Safeway now. In peak season, you'll find RV's and tents along the main roads in just about every pullout that's big enough.

The only unsettling part is how most roadsigns are riddled with bullet holes and close range shotgun blasts. :D LOL

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines