change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• Emma12712's Profile Photo

Bus from villazon at night?

by Emma12712 Online Now Apr 10, 2014 at 2:36 PM

Hi there, we are travelling from Salta via villazon tomorrow. If we get to villazon around 11pm to midnight, will there be a bus at that time to uyuni? A speedy response would really be appreciated!!

more
    • Emma12712's Profile Photo

Bus from villazon at night?

by Emma12712 Online Now Apr 10, 2014 at 2:36 PM

Hi there, we are travelling from Salta via villazon tomorrow. If we get to villazon around 11pm to midnight, will there be a bus at that time to uyuni? A speedy response would really be appreciated!!

9 Answers Apr 12, 2014 at 10:56 AM
    • Planning to salar de uyuni

by choyiu814 Online Now Feb 14, 2014 at 9:03 PM

I will arrived to Santiago around 25th February, and plan to go salar de uyuni later on through San Pedro de atacama.
      Any transportation? What is the schedule and price?

4 Answers Feb 15, 2014 at 3:54 AM
    • To go from Villazon (border city with Argentina) to UYUNI (and return)

by romassot Online Now Jan 31, 2014 at 2:26 PM

It is quite easy to see that they are a few trains (only 4 each week) just to joint both cities. Villazon to Uyuni only the Monday, Wenesday, Thursday and Sunday.
      Do you know some buses doing this trip?. Some other way to do this (perhaps to rent a car in Villazon?
      Thanks for your help.
      Romà Massot
      Barcelona

2 Answers Feb 11, 2014 at 1:19 AM
    • Uyuni Salt Flats in February

by lgreen14 Online Now Jan 22, 2014 at 2:26 PM

How cold does it get during the day and at night in early February? Trying to pack accordingly but also lightly. Thanks!

1 Answer Jan 22, 2014 at 10:55 PM
    • massot's Profile Photo

Salar de Uyuni

by massot Online Now Jan 16, 2014 at 8:52 AM

I will be there next month (27th). Someone from this region said me that to visit the salar and the lagunas, from Uyuni town, two days is a very good option.

Please, do you know a good agency to do it? A lodging in Uyuni and the other side of the salar?
      You are very kind, dear VT travellers.
      Thanks
      Roma of Barcelona

13 Answers Feb 3, 2014 at 2:03 AM
    • Uyuni to Calama Bus/Train

by meglea Online Now Aug 25, 2013 at 12:05 AM

Struggling to find any information online!! Has anyone recently travelled to Calama from Uyuni by bus or train? I read a review from November 2012 saying there were 4 bus companies that do this trip but I can't find anything to back this up. I have only found a small amount of info saying a bus leaves three times a week and no info on the company etc. Any help would be appreciated!

1 Answer Aug 25, 2013 at 12:31 AM
    • Worried about altitude sickness

by Lindabanis Online Now Jun 20, 2013 at 6:40 AM

Hi there. In december me and my boyfriend will want to do the salar tour. We will be coming from Salta and were planning to go through San pedro to do the 3 day tour from there and end up in Uyuni to go to La Paz. I've been reading up now and ***ting my pants on the stories about altitude sickness. I realize we can better start in Uyuni but that does not fit our travel schedule. Any tips on how to get acclimatized? Any ideas on alternative routes from Salta?

Thanks guys!

Linda

4 Answers Jul 3, 2013 at 8:21 PM
    • Transportation to Uyuni

by jamielynn13 Online Now May 11, 2012 at 7:07 PM

I'm currently in Buenos Aires and planning out the best way to see the salt flats. I am considering doing SALTA - PURMAMARCA - HUMUAHACA - UYUNI ... But I'm unsure of the buses. What is the transportation like from SALTA - UYUNI. How long is it? Or would it be easier to go from SAN ATACAMA DESERT in Chile to UYUNI? Thanks for your help

2 Answers Jul 2, 2012 at 2:55 PM
    • Transport from Uyuni to Salta

by Kevinf2 Online Now Nov 10, 2011 at 5:35 PM

Hi there,
      Doing a rather fast trip through Peru, Bolivia, Argentina, Uruguay, Argentina in Dec/Jan.
      Most of trip sorted but yet to lock down transport options between Uniyi and Salta.
      Assume there will be bus options, but if anyone can shed some light on best options I'd be very grateful.
      Happy traveling

2 Answers Nov 12, 2011 at 7:43 PM
    • Any Solo Travelers to Uyuni Tours in August?

by kgomez87 Online Now Jul 13, 2011 at 2:31 PM

Hi there solo female traveler here trying to plan a La Paz- Uyuni trip and just wondering if there is anyone in the same boat who might want to join together?

Also for those who have made the trip before would you mind letting me know if my scheduling plans sound correct?
      I'll wait until my arrival in La Paz to buy the bus ticket for Oruro and also my train ticket to Uyuni. I'll book ahead with Todo Turismo for my bus ride at 8pm after the tour back to La paz OR is there a train route back that would be more accommodating? Can someone tell me if I can purchase round trip bus tickets so I can hop on once back in Oruro (I'm guessing I can but just making sure).

P.S. A 2 day tour vs. a 3 wouldn't have me missing out on too much would it?

Thanks so much!

6 Answers Jul 26, 2011 at 3:05 AM
    • liana23's Profile Photo

Taxi Uyuni - Pulocayo

by liana23 Online Now Jun 6, 2011 at 11:25 PM

Hi everybody!

Need to vizit Pulocayo for 1-day photographic tour, I am single independent traveller, not want any shared excursions.

What is charge for taxi Uyuni-Pulocayo? Uyuni-Potosi with stop 4 hrs Pulocayo?

Is there any basic accomodation in Pulocayo or need to return Uyuni for overnight?
      Some years ago there was 2 hostel but not sure they run service nowdays...

THANKS!!!

2 Answers Jun 8, 2011 at 11:55 AM
    • Best way to get to Salar de Uyuni

by paintthedream Online Now Mar 29, 2011 at 2:18 PM

Hello all!

My friend and I are planning a trip to Salar de Uyuni. We need to eventually end up in Pa Paz. We are wondering if it would be better for us to take a tour from La Paz, go to Salar de Uyuni, and back to La Paz or if it would be better to reach Salar de Uyuni from San Pedro de Atacama and go to La Paz from Uyuni.

Any suggestions?

1 Answer Mar 29, 2011 at 7:24 PM
    • Visa for Bolivia

by janetlee Online Now Dec 14, 2010 at 4:43 PM

We wish to join a tour from San Pedro to Uyuni. However, we (from Hong Kong) do not have Bolivia visa. Does anyone have experience in obtaining the visa in Calama, San Pedro or the frontier between Chile and Bolivia? Is it easy to get it? How long will it take? If we apply it in Santiago, Chile, how long will it take to get the visa?

By the way, one of us holds United Kingdom passport. Does the passport holder require visa to enter into Bolivia?

All advice/comment are highly appreciated in advance.

• HELP: Want to do Salar de Uyuni but worried about altitude sickness

by 04072511 Online Now Oct 20, 2010 at 5:04 PM

Hi all. I'm on a trip around south america and am a bit tight for time as I need to be in Arequipe around 3rd November. Tomorrow I go to Valparaiso in Chile and then get a bus to San Pedro de Atacama. From there I would like to do the Salar de Uyuni (I dont care that it costs more) and then return to San Pedro and from there head to Arequipa.

However I found the following in this link:

lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/t...

"One more tip.... on the first night we stayed in the same place as a group that was coming the opposite way from San Pedro to Uyuni. They were all suffering terribly from altitude sickness, with the vomiting and insomnia and feeling miserable. Our driver told us if you come that way you gain 2,000 metres altitude in 40minutes from San Pedro to the border so it is inevitable really. He said he would not do it that way round! Coming from Uyuni you gain 1,500m over 3 days, although you would probably still feel it if you had not already been in La Paz or Uyuni."

This has me worried. Doing the tour from Uyuni is not an option for me, considering my time restrictions. It is either from San Pedro or from nowhere.

How big a risk is it doing the tour from San Pedro? I was thinking of spending a few days in San Pedro and doing the various one day tours of the local area which are all above 4000m, and if I dont feel well during those tours then I could give Uyuni a miss. If I feel good during those tours then perhaps that means I'd be ok to do the Salar de Uyuni.

Any advice would be great. I was at 2,850 metres today near Mendoza in the Andes and I felt fine.

5 Answers Jan 29, 2011 at 2:25 AM
    • Tour from Uyuni to Calama?

by vickon Online Now May 21, 2010 at 3:54 PM

Hello everyone,

I want to take the tour to the lake 3 days /2 nights but is there any tour that ends in Calama?

Thanks in advance..

Vaios

4 Answers Aug 25, 2013 at 11:18 AM
    • ADVICE NEEDED: Uyuni to Buenos Aires ???

by zglentworth Online Now Apr 30, 2010 at 3:35 PM

I am in need of some help!

In a couple of months I am wanting to find my way from southern Bolivia (approximatley Uyuni or a town nearby) to Buenos Aires. I am with friends but will be leaving them so will be a young girl travelling alone - can anyone recommend the safest option to cross the border and where from etc. Your help will be greatly appreciated!!!

3 Answers Dec 2, 2010 at 8:36 AM
    • Can anyone tell me a 4x4 tour without sleep in a sleep bag for 3day2night

by adeeworld Online Now Jan 27, 2010 at 8:45 PM

I have heard the todo tourism has better car and hotel but I have been sending them information for 3 weeks never got a reply from them...
      If anyone has a better experience on the tour please share with me and tell me the tour website or email so I can contact them.
      My trip will start in Uyuni end in Uyuni so I can take overnight bus or train to back to La Paz.

Thanks for all of your kindly attention!!!

3 Answers Jan 28, 2010 at 2:42 PM
    • Salar de Uyuni-solo travelers

by penerod Online Now Jan 16, 2010 at 2:32 PM

Hi there,
      I am planning to go to Bolivia this year, and really want to see the Salar de Uyuni.
      I see that it is usually tours in groups, as I am traveling alone, will I just be placed on a tour when there is a vacancy? Or do I have to try and search for other travelers who are one person short? I won't be staying in a dormitory, so I may not meet anyone if the second option is advisable.

Can anyone recommend a good company? I don't mind paying a bit extra for comfort and reliability.

When is the best time to see the Salar de Uyuni? I love photography and I think the wet season when the salt has a thin layer of water on top reflecting the sky sounds ideal.
      Any help much appreciated:-)

5 Answers Apr 5, 2010 at 10:44 PM
    • Santa Cruz to La Paz (with salt plains on the way)

by sarahjanew Online Now Oct 12, 2009 at 3:50 PM

Hi,

I fly into Santa Cruz on the morning of the 7th of November. My plan is to get a bus to Potosi and then a bus to Uyuni. I'm hoping to do this in about 24 hours so I am in Uyuni on the 8th, and do the salt plains tour on the 9th. my problem then is the quickest way to get to La Paz? Train? Bus?

If anyone can help that would be great or if anyone sees any major flaws in my plan to get to Uyuni that would be great too!
      Thanks!

4 Answers Oct 24, 2009 at 1:55 PM
    • kenningst's Profile Photo

Uyuni to Santiago

by kenningst Online Now Jul 28, 2009 at 4:03 PM

hey there,

I am planning to take travel from Uyuni to Santiago by bus (i have time but on tight budget. Don't mind taking the bus if its the cheapest) after I am done with Salar Uyuni tour. I am thinking of the following option

1) After finishing Salar Uyuni tour and back to Uyuni, take the bus from Uyuni to Santiago. Is there a direct bus option? How long does it take?

2) Take the Salar Uyuni tour and instead of going back to Uyuni, thought if its possible for the tour to drop us at the nearest town (near the Chiliean border) and we take the bus from there to santiago. Have anyone done this before? Any tour company that does it?

Cheers

5 Answers Jul 29, 2009 at 4:57 PM
    • getting from puno to bolivia

by abaigeal Online Now Mar 22, 2009 at 4:08 PM

Hey everyone,looking for some advice on getting from peru to bolivia by bus. Im fine getting from cusco to puno, but need to get from puno into bolivia to do the salt flats tour - i think there are buses from puno to la paz but does anyone know if you can go directly from puno to uyuni? or do you need to go via la paz? its such a long bus ride.. also a little bit worried as a female solo traveller going to la paz.

thanks for your help! :)

4 Answers Apr 24, 2009 at 3:59 AM
    • Tours

by Arly143 Online Now Mar 15, 2009 at 5:56 PM

Hi does anyone know if the only way to see the salts and lagoons in uyuni is to take the 3day tour? Is everything very apart from each other?

Thanks,
      Arly

2 Answers Mar 16, 2009 at 6:28 AM
    • Calling Uyuni

by travellling_girl Online Now Jan 31, 2009 at 8:23 PM

sorry need a bit of bolivia info. do you know how to call a mobile phone number in uyuni ? i'm trying to call a vivo mobile sim card but dont know the area code. please help !

thanks!!

2 Answers Feb 3, 2009 at 8:05 AM
    • Anyone Interested in doing Uyuni-La Paz with us?

by Yanoushka Online Now Aug 8, 2008 at 1:31 AM

Hi,
      My girlfriend and I are doing a 4*4 expedition from Uyuni, ending in La Paz, starting the 10th of septembre, until the 14th. We are visiting Salars, Sajama's region and more.
      If you're intersted feel free de contact me!
      Yannick,
      Belgique.

1 Answer Aug 9, 2008 at 7:56 AM
    • Tour Operators

by John-PaulMoses Online Now May 23, 2008 at 12:41 PM

Can anyone recommend a good tour operator to go across Salar De Uyuni, going from Uyuni to San Perdro De Atacama??

5 Answers Jun 22, 2008 at 10:04 AM
    • rozavanturilor's Profile Photo

Looking for a tour operator to arrange trip from La Paz to Uyuni and back

by rozavanturilor Online Now Mar 6, 2008 at 10:23 AM

Hi VTs

I am looking for a (reliable) tour operator that organises tours to Uyuni from La Paz. From what I've seen, there are plenty or operators offering tours to the salar from Uyuni itself, but given that it is a bit of a pain to get from La Paz to Uyuni (namely rough bus to Oruro, and then train to Uyuni), I was wondering if you are aware of any operators that offer to pick you up from La Paz on their own vehicles and take you straight to Uyuni and then around the flats.

My main aim is trying to find an alternative to the current transportation methods linking La Paz to Uyuni, particularly the bus link.

Let me know your thoughts please.

Thanks a lot

RV

10 Answers Apr 17, 2008 at 11:01 AM
    • La Paz to Uyuni

by ihndavid Online Now Feb 10, 2008 at 12:56 PM

Anyone know where do you take the bus tha goes from La Paz to Oruro? And what days do the trains leave Oruro to Uyuni? I can't seem to find any info on this on the web. Thanks!

3 Answers Feb 11, 2008 at 9:09 PM
    • time schedule of Uyuni buses

by carlitadm Online Now Oct 24, 2007 at 7:47 AM

Can somebody tell me at what time buses from Oruro to Uyuni depart? the overnight ones?

3 Answers Oct 26, 2007 at 3:03 PM
    • Peru to Bolivia to Argentina

by rachel94925 Online Now Oct 22, 2007 at 5:12 PM

Two friends and I will be traveling down from Machu Picchu, through Puno to La Paz. From there, the highlight of our Bolivian travels will be the salt flats in Uyuni.

We want to stop in Potosí on the way, though. I know that people typically take the bus to Oruro and then the train to Uyuni. What is the transportation situation for going from La Paz to Potosi to Uyuni?

After the salt flats we will be traveling up to Salta. I found a train (Ferroviara Andina) that will take us from Uyuni through Atocha, Tupiza, and Villazon). Is this the best transportation?

Or, instead of going directly across the border, does it make sense for us to stop in any of the other towns? Sucre? Tupiza? What do they offer?

Thanks for your help!

-- Rachel

3 Answers Oct 25, 2007 at 8:06 AM
    • Calama to Uynui????

by Rustyruss Online Now May 17, 2007 at 4:41 AM

Hi all
      Advice needed!! I am arriving in Calama on Monday and have read in various places that the train to Uyuni leaves on Wednesday night from Calama. I have also seen a few notes on Calama being a 'not-much-to-see' town so would therefore like to go to San Pedro de Atacama. I have 3 questions...
      1. Is this a better option. i.e. go to Calama to S.P.D.Atacama?
      2. Can I get transport to Uyuni from S.P.D. Atacama and when/what is it?
      3. We are going over there in mid Oct? Do we need extreme cold weather clothing in traveller experience of will good jackets, hats etc be ok?

Thankyou

Rusty

2 Answers May 23, 2007 at 6:48 PM