Uyuni Travel Answers

change location

recommended gear

by amandita Online Now Sep 13, 2006 at 10:11 AM

is there any specific gear that you would recommend bringing? will be going via machu picchu and lago titicaca, so will have the basics. i heard it´s very cold there.

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • RE: recommended gear

by 31415 Online Now Oct 3, 2006 at 8:58 AM

Bring warmth clothes!!
    I have been there in may, during the 3 days tour to the salar I have been in
    -25Cº, which for me was COLD. If you already have a good jacket, you can get cheap gloves, wool hats and scarfs in a warehouse market near the church.
    If you are renting sleeping bags, check them before you get into the tour, we got ones with broken zippers, not good in that weather.
    Be REALLY careful with the tour operator. We were sold a tour in a 4x4 truck with no brakes. Not nice either! Take water with you and if you want to know somehting else, just ask me!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • AlbuqRay's Profile Photo

RE: recommended gear

by AlbuqRay Online Now Nov 7, 2006 at 7:08 PM

You already got some good recommendations but I might add a couple of things. It is not only cold on the Salar de Uyuni, Laguna Colorado, et al. trip, it is often windy, so be prepared. Sunglasses are a must on the Salar if you want to keep your eyes open. Machu Picchu is warmer but also tends to be rainy. If you are prepared for those two places, you will be fine with what you have at Lake Titicaca.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines