Utrecht Travel Answers

change location

SAFE PLACE??

by brown_eyed_pookie Online Now Feb 5, 2007 at 2:30 AM

I am thinking of going to Utrecht for an exchange for one semester..I am a Candian student studying business. I am just wondering is anyone can expand on how safe the town is in general. I would be going by myself..is the town resonable safe for a young lady? Also how bad is the crime/therft?
Thanks for the info!

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • dnwitte's Profile Photo

RE: SAFE PLACE??

by dnwitte Online Now Feb 5, 2007 at 5:07 AM

I find it one of the nicest cities in the Netherlands. The neighborhood directly on the other side of the tracks from the center of town (looking out the right side of the train as you come from Amsterdam) isn't very attractive, but I would hardly call it dangerous. As anywhere, mind the slim possibility of pickpockets in the vast dystopian central station and immediate environs, but otherwise the city is delightful and friendly and easygoing and you should have a wonderful time.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo

RE: RE: SAFE PLACE??

by pieter_jan_v Online Now Feb 5, 2007 at 8:36 AM

My daughter studied there for 4 years without problems.

Biggest crime is bicycle theft around the station and some homeless/drugs users in the Hoog Catarijne shopping mall which connects the station with downtown Utrecht.

Most Newer university buildings are at the East of Utrecht, away from it all (with a fast bus connection to the station).

Utrecht is a great place to be; from here you have direct train connections to many wonderful Dutch cities.

I recommend your read the Warnings we have published on Utrecht at:

Utrecht Warnings and Dangers

just for your awareness.

PJ

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines