Utrecht Travel Answers

change location
wardy51's Profile Photo

amsterdam V Utrecht

by wardy51 Online Now Sep 8, 2006 at 3:56 PM

I have booked a flight into Amsterdam next week for 3 days but
the hotels either look to expensive or are reviewed very badly.
The hotels in Utrecht look a lot better at more resonable rates.
I have been to The Dam a couple of times and know what is all about
but everything, meals, drinks seem to have taken a major hike since it went euro.
Is Utrecht a good alternative and does it offer the same sort of attractions but on a smaller scale and at more reasonable prices.
Can any recommend any good 4* hotels that they have had good deals at, that is close to the centre/station.

Cheers

Geoff

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • SWFC_Fan's Profile Photo

RE: amsterdam V Utrecht

by SWFC_Fan Online Now Sep 8, 2006 at 4:34 PM

Hi Geoff

Personally, I prefer Utrecht to Amsterdam. I found Utrecht to be a smaller, less touristy version of Amsterdam. There are lots of bars and restaurants by the canals - and Amsterdam is only a short train ride away should you run out of things to do in Utrecht.

I'd strongly recommend Utrecht, especially as you've been to Amsterdam a few times already.

I got a very good deal on the 5* Grand Hotel Karel V when I stayed there a couple of years back. I booked it via:

http://travel-holland.co.uk/

It is a superb hotel and is located just a couple of minutes walk from Hoog Catharijne shopping mall, to which the central train station is attached.

Enjoy your trip,

Jonathan

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo

RE: RE: amsterdam V Utrecht

by pieter_jan_v Online Now Sep 9, 2006 at 1:04 AM

Utrecht is a good alternative to Amsterdam.

The Schiphol Airport now has a direct train connection to Utrecht Centraal; travel time half a hour.

From Utrecht you easily can travel by travel to many other Dutch cities; you really should explore some of them.

Hotels should not be a problem; see:

viamichelin.com/viamichelin/...

(including the previous mentioned Karel V hotel at just 700 meters from the station)

PJ

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines