Travel Answers
Uruguay

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• lovina's Profile Photo

What to do in Montevideo on a Sunday afternoon ?

Montevideo Apr 5, 2014 at 1:29 AM

First time ever in Uruguay.
      Arrival at noon from overseas flight, check in latest at 14.00 in Punta Carretas.
      Thereafter ?
      Who has good suggestions where to go and where not to go ?
      Ideally I would walk the streets to enjoy nice local atmospheres.
      Then go for a good local drink, perhaps for apéro time.
      Then for sure have a great meal in the evening in a nice local place.
      Thank you for any useful tip and wish a nice week-end to all VTs.
      Mauro

more
    • lovina's Profile Photo

What to do in Montevideo on a Sunday afternoon ?

Montevideo Apr 5, 2014 at 1:29 AM

First time ever in Uruguay.
      Arrival at noon from overseas flight, check in latest at 14.00 in Punta Carretas.
      Thereafter ?
      Who has good suggestions where to go and where not to go ?
      Ideally I would walk the streets to enjoy nice local atmospheres.
      Then go for a good local drink, perhaps for apéro time.
      Then for sure have a great meal in the evening in a nice local place.
      Thank you for any useful tip and wish a nice week-end to all VTs.
      Mauro

1 Answer Apr 5, 2014 at 8:28 AM
    • what is the cheapest and safest way to go from La Pedrera to Montevideo airport?

La Pedrera Mar 13, 2014 at 1:27 PM

what is a cheap and safe way to get from La pedrera to Montevideo airport?

2 Answers Mar 13, 2014 at 5:17 PM
    • Suggestions

Montevideo Mar 4, 2014 at 12:50 PM

Me and my wife will be in Montevideo next abril 26th.
      Staying there for 7 nights how do you think we should spend our days since we plan to visit Colonia del Sacramento and Punta del Este as well? Shoul we rent a car? Or take the local buses? What about the hotels in these three cities? And the main points to visit...any suggestions will be very much appreciated.
      Thanks in advance

3 Answers Mar 4, 2014 at 4:07 PM
    • fromwindycity's Profile Photo

Weather from Feb 13-20

Montevideo Feb 6, 2014 at 8:21 AM

According to the future forecast on accuweather.com some rain is expected during Feb13-20
      accuweather.com/en/uy/montev...

If this forecast is true, how bad do the rains get in Montevideo? Will it keep me from doing anything outside without an umbrella. If you have better local weather information can you let me know how likely this rain will be? I would like to also visit the beach but not have to travel too far to get to one, does Montevideo have good beaches? I have seen information on Pocitos beach, is it nice there, any other? Thank you for your help

2 Answers Feb 10, 2014 at 7:48 AM
    • JoelB11's Profile Photo

winter in uruguay

Uruguay Jan 30, 2014 at 1:31 PM

I would like to spend 3 or 4 month in Uruguay starting next november.
      Did somebody have an idea of a budget for a month??? (small apartment and food.....and wine of course!!)
      We are not fancy travellers

3 Answers Feb 7, 2014 at 4:46 AM
    • Jose Ignacio, Uruguay

Uruguay Jan 23, 2014 at 12:53 PM

We are currently in Jose Ignacio and want to go to la Paloma. There must be a local bus but I can't locate info on it. Help?

1 Answer Jan 23, 2014 at 1:39 PM
    • Booking a taxi to the airport

Montevideo Jan 22, 2014 at 5:44 PM

Which taxi should we book and how to go to the airport? We have rather large luggage so is there a larger car or van we can book to pick us up at 4 am at the apartment to go to the airport?

4 Answers Feb 7, 2014 at 11:04 AM
    • local currency

Montevideo Jan 16, 2014 at 7:53 AM

What is the current exchange rate?

3 Answers Jan 16, 2014 at 8:34 AM
    • bus service from Montevideo

Colonia del Sacramento Jan 14, 2014 at 2:39 PM

I am arriving on a cruise ship in Montevideo and would like to make a day trip to Colonia de Sacrament. How often do the buses run between the two?

1 Answer Jan 14, 2014 at 5:44 PM
    • KateJ19's Profile Photo

January 1 open?

Colonia del Sacramento Dec 29, 2013 at 5:03 AM

Is anything open on january 1? Restaurants or shops?

3 Answers Dec 29, 2013 at 10:20 AM
    • How fully booked are the long-distance buses to Asuncion from Montevideo in January and February?

Montevideo Nov 28, 2013 at 5:36 AM

Dear all,

I understand January through February is a peak season for long-distance bus transportation in "Southern Cone" - I take it as Argentina, Uruguay and Brasil.

As I do not understand Spanish that much and thus will not book buses online in advance to my upcoming trip, if any, how soon do you think I can travel from Montevideo to Asuncion by bus when I just arrive at Montevideo and try to book bus at a bus operator kiosk right away?

I hope I will not need to wait for a week before leaving Montevideo!

Thanks,

3 Answers Nov 28, 2013 at 10:00 PM
    • translunar's Profile Photo

Nice inexpensive hotels

Montevideo Nov 5, 2013 at 9:56 PM

I am looking for a decent place or places to stay and get grounded, to start a month or so of enjoying Uruguay.

2 Answers Jan 17, 2014 at 7:47 PM
    • maranew's Profile Photo

smoking rules

Uruguay Oct 22, 2013 at 11:09 AM

are there any non smoking restaurants/hotels/etc?

1 Answer Nov 5, 2013 at 11:36 AM
    • Luggage Storage

Colonia del Sacramento Oct 21, 2013 at 12:33 PM

Where can we store luggage, while touring the city of Colonia?

1 Answer Oct 21, 2013 at 1:03 PM
    • Montevideo side trips

Montevideo Oct 18, 2013 at 5:21 AM

Is La Cologna worth the visit? And is it better to hire a local guide/driver in the country or book before you go?

4 Answers Oct 30, 2013 at 3:08 PM
    • Flight arrives at 2am. What to do until 9am?

Montevideo Oct 2, 2013 at 11:09 AM

Hi,

We are flying in to Montevideo from the US and land at around 2am. In the morning, around 9am, we are picking up a car and driving out to Punte del Este for the week.

Is there anything that can be done at the airport between 2-9am? Is there an airport hotel that does not require us to leave the airport in a cab? The closest hotel I've found is about 5KM from the airport. We figure by the time we land, go through customs, get a cab (pay for a cab!), and get to a hotel, we'll only have 3-4 hours until we need to be back at the airport to get the car.

Has anyone flown in at such a late hour? What did you do?

5 Answers Nov 19, 2013 at 12:29 PM
    • Navettes aéroport

Montevideo Sep 12, 2013 at 3:36 PM

Bonjour,

Comment se rendre de l'aéroport de Montevideo au centre ville à bon marché?

1 Answer Sep 12, 2013 at 4:36 PM
    • AarqM's Profile Photo

I WANT TO GO TO!! BUT I DONT KNOW HOW!!!

Uruguay Sep 10, 2013 at 10:08 AM

I want to go visit Uruguay !! sulk in the good vibes! and meet new friends, hopefully get an apartment and stay for a while, but i dont know what i need to enter the country or what paperwork i need to be able to work!? please help!!
      I want to be able to stay, work, and meet people!

4 Answers Nov 19, 2013 at 12:29 PM
    • Best way to travel?

Departamento de Artigas Jun 14, 2013 at 12:03 PM

Artigas is known for it's beautiful amethyst quartz. A lot of amethyst pendants are made from amethyst from this region. What is the best way to travel to Artigas?

1 Answer Jun 19, 2013 at 1:05 PM
    • Motorcycle/Scooter Rental in Montevideo/Punta Del Este? Or better to purchase?

Montevideo Jun 11, 2013 at 2:02 PM

Hi,

I will be coming to Montevideo at the end of June and will probably be staying for a few months, and so I want to either purchase or rent a motorcycle/scooter.

I'm looking at anywhere from 125 to 250cc, I prefer manual but can easily ride scooters. A dirt bike (dirty) would be ideal, but I know that they can get expensive. Whether I rent or buy depends on prices and the general situation, so I have a few questions:

1. What are the average prices for bike rental? 2. Are there any scams that often happen? (eg. if you are in Thailand they charge you an arm and a leg for basic repairs and even scratches, unless you fix them yourself without the owner knowing) 3. Are there lots of places for rentals or is it not really popular? 4. Which brands are most common, so are the cheapest for mechanics to service? 5. I love the riding style of Dirtbikes, are they practical here? 6. Can you recommend any bike rental/purchase places?

1 Answer Jun 19, 2013 at 1:09 PM
    • Pet friendly lodging?

Montevideo Mar 26, 2013 at 6:32 PM

We'll be arriving April 11th and are looking for pet friendly lodging (2 dogs) while we search for a longer term rental in person. We're looking for something for a week or two to start with. Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated!

8 Answers May 17, 2013 at 7:51 AM
    • Unique82's Profile Photo

BUS SALTO TO Colonia del Sacramento

Salto Feb 5, 2013 at 1:02 PM

Hi, does anyone have information on buses from Salto to Colonia del Sacramento, if so how long is the journey and how much?. Thank you!

1 Answer Feb 7, 2013 at 4:06 PM

Bus to BA Argentina from montevideo/Colonia not ferry

Montevideo Jan 30, 2013 at 1:03 PM

Hi guys, I know their is a ferry to BA Argentina but id rather take a bus does anyone know if this is possible from montevideo and Colonia if so how long does it take and whats the price?. Thanks!

1 Answer Jan 30, 2013 at 1:08 PM

Montevideo/Colonia to Salta Argentina by bus?

Montevideo Jan 16, 2013 at 1:29 PM

Does anyone know if there any buses direct to Salta Argentia from Montevideo or anyother parts of Uruguay?. I know about buses from Buenos Aires but i dont want to go there.

7 Answers Jan 17, 2013 at 2:19 PM
    • Where to go for New Years Eve Party

Punta del Este Dec 23, 2012 at 4:40 AM

Hi there,

my partner and I arrive in PDE on the 28th December (YAY!), staying in Playa Brava, and have a few questions regarding 'what shall we do for NYE.'

Do you need tickets to get into various venues?
      Can we just turn up to beach parties?
      Is it best to buy tickets to venues/parties before the 31st?
      If we should buy tickets, is it easy as walking along the street to find vendors?
      And, what/where do you reccommend for a 30-36yr old couple who speak little Espanol (apologies), like dancing, like to meet great people to do for NYE????

Many thanks in advance for taking the time to answer our questions, maybe we can buy you a beer! :-)

3 Answers Dec 24, 2012 at 8:26 AM
    • gambit187's Profile Photo

Please help on cost of getting to PDE!

Punta del Este Dec 7, 2012 at 12:05 PM

Hi,

I have just checked the Buquebus website for tickets to Punta from Buenos Aires for me and my wife and it shows we need a boat and bus. We are only going for two nights.

The website gives a price1926 but I am sure this is a mistake and is supposed to be Argetinian Pesos. Is this correct?

However as we are from England and convert this to pounds from Pesos the total cost comes to £260.00 for both of us!!!

£260.00 for return tickets is quite expensive in my opinion - does anyone know if this is the correct price and if there is a cheaper alternative?

Please reply urgently.

Thanks for all your help in advance!!!

13 Answers Dec 20, 2012 at 2:47 PM
    • omnibus fray bentos-gualeguaychu?

Uruguay Sep 17, 2012 at 7:34 AM

Hay omnibus de fray bentos a gualeguaychu? son frecuentes?

2 Answers Nov 28, 2012 at 10:23 AM
    • motorbike rental/winter weather

Uruguay Feb 24, 2012 at 10:02 AM

does anyone know of any places that rent motorbikes/motorcycles? i want to rent one for 2 months during the winter period of july - aug.would that time period be too cold concerning the temperature and wind chill riding a moto?by the way, about what time does it get dark during that time period?

2 Answers Mar 27, 2012 at 1:10 PM
    • travel from Rocha to Tacuarembo

Tacuarembó Jan 9, 2012 at 7:35 AM

Currently I'm in La Paloma, Rocha, and am trying to avoid returning to Montevideo for transport to Tacuarembo.
      Any suggestions???? What buses??? Routes?

Gracias

• Looking for a reliable travel agent in Montevideo

Montevideo Jan 5, 2012 at 5:09 PM

Hola. I am wondering if anyone can recommend a travel agent to help with hotel bookings, ferries etc in Montevideo

Cheers