Urbino Travel Answers

change location

Car service from Bologna to Urbino

by brufanatic Online Now Jul 12, 2006 at 9:01 AM

My daughter is flying into Bologna to attend the University of Urbino for one month, at the end of July.

Because she will have been travelling all night, including a change of planes in Frankfurt, and because this is her first "solo" experience to Europe, I hesitate to THEN have her take a bus to the train in Bologna, take a train to Pesaro, and a bus to Urbino. (That's the suggested means of transport to the University.)

Does anybody know of a REASONABLY PRICED way of getting a driver to take her -- either alone or with a group? The car services that I have contacted so far want between400 and890 dollars for one-way transport from the airport to Urbino.

Quote & Answer
8 Answers
  • cgf's Profile Photo

RE: Car service from Bologna to Urbino

by cgf Online Now Jul 12, 2006 at 9:48 AM

from Bologna airport a bus called BLQ direct to railway station.
    http://www.atc.bo.it/english/index.asp
    from railway station to Pesaro by train, a child could do without any danger.
    "Because she will have been travelling all night"... I would spend (less of) 400USD to take a rest for the day (and night) she'll arrive to Europe and ahead the following day.
    I believe to go from Bologna to Urbino at end July and, of course, back to Bologna,400 is a REASONABLY PRICE. In winter could take 5 hours, end July it's good to do for 10. Yestarday it took almost 2 (two) hours from Imola to Bologna (40km). Sure you could find someone (abusive) who could do for less... that's could be a danger...

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • cgf's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Car service from Bologna to Urbino

by cgf Online Now Jul 12, 2006 at 9:49 AM

I forgot to post trenitalia url
    http://www.trenitalia.com/en/index.html

• mccalpin's Profile Photo

by mccalpin Online Now Jul 12, 2006 at 9:52 AM

Well, Urbino is 173 kilometers away from Bologna (over 110 miles), so I don't know that400 is really unreasonable (the890 seems excessive though ;-) heck, for that price, I can fly from Dallas to Rome).

First, is Bologna the closest airport to Urbino that you can fly her to? I know there's an airport in Forli' which is almost halfway there, and I wouldn't be surprised if there weren't other, closer airports (such as at Rimini or Cattolica?).

If she does have to take the path suggested (which is indeed the normal method), it really isn't that difficult (easy for me to say, huh?).

May I assume that your daughter already speaks some Italian?

OK, as for the bus from Bologna airport to the main train station, here is the link - bologna-airport.it/template/... . Click on the "AEROBUS - BLQ" link, which will give you information about the route taken, number of stops, and with another link, the timetables. Basically, for most of the day, the bus leaves every 15 minutes and takes about 25 minutes...note that the Bus website says the fare is 5 euro while the airport website still says 4.50 euro...

Once she is at the main train station in Bologna, she will be easily able to buy a ticket to Pesaro. Look at www.trenitalia.com for schedules. Basically, there are one to three trains an hour to Pesaro, most of which are direct (i.e., no change of train). The fare will vary because there are different types of trains on this route - the faster trains will cost more. However, from a quick glance, it seems that a second class fare will be on the order of 8 to 12 euro (rounded up), and I didn't even look for student discounts (if any).

Once she is at Pesaro (not only are there large signs at every station telling you where you are, but the other passengers will be helpful), she must take a bus to Urbino because there is no rail service there. The website for the bus service doesn't have a timetable at the moment, but I see from other postings here at VT that the bus service is fairly frequent and takes about 50 minutes. Given that this is one of the normal ways that tourists get to Urbino, I am sure that it will be obvious at the train station what to do.

Yes, this trip will be long and somewhat tiring, but she is young, and this is part of the excitement of living and studying in Europe - I did it for the first time when I was 19, and I lived to tell about it ;-)

Bill

• effeti's Profile Photo

by effeti Online Now Jul 12, 2006 at 9:52 AM

Found on yellow pages (no direct knowledge):
    1) http://www.paginegialle.it/cab-01 (click on "contatto" to write them, and let's hope they understand english....

Hope someone with fresher info will pop in...
    Ciao
    Francesco

• qaminari's Profile Photo

by qaminari Online Now Jul 12, 2006 at 9:55 AM

It would be much cheaper for her to stay overnight in Bologna before continuing her journey, if you are worried that she will be too tired for this journey. I can see no reasonably-priced way of getting all the way to Urbino by taxi/chauffeur-driven car unless by any chance your daughter can identify other course participants who would be arriving at Bologna at the same time who could share the cost. She could take a taxi instead of the bus from the airport to the station in Bologna, though that doesn't save much effort; and again from the station at Pesaro to Urbino, and that way arrive directly at wherever she is staying there, but it's 36km which still isn't going to be cheap.

• mccalpin's Profile Photo

by mccalpin Online Now Jul 12, 2006 at 11:21 AM

If you like Lyn's suggestion about spending the night in Bologna, note that there is a Jolly Hotel a block away from the train station (see jollyhotels.it/eng/ALBERGHI_... ). I have stayed at this hotel, and it is a respectable business-class hotel (i.e., not cheap, but safe). She could come here by bus (to the train station, or hotel shuttle but this is infrequent) or by taxi. She could dump her stuff, spend the day walking around Bologna (a university town as well as a tourist spot, so she won't feel out of place) and getting acclimated to Italy, spend the night, then walk over to the train station the next morning. I am assuming that she will be able to handle her own luggage - if she can't, she's taking too much...

Bill

P.S.
    Hey, Francesco, for890US, I'm surprised that YOU didn't offer to drive her ;-)

I see your photo has changed...why? Did something happen??? hahahaha Does this mean that we don't have to hear FORZA AZZURRRRRRRRRIIIIIIIII!!!!! anymore?

• Enzyme_X's Profile Photo

by Enzyme_X Online Now Jul 12, 2006 at 11:55 AM

I can take you daughter to Urbino for250 :-)

• effeti's Profile Photo

by effeti Online Now Jul 13, 2006 at 6:38 AM

Bill, I'm too late, the price is lowering too much!
    For the rest, i will pretend not to understand your subtle on the soccer matter! Forza Azzzzurrriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!!!!!!!!
    Francesco

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines