Uppsala Län Travel Answers

change location
sirdefied's Profile Photo

Is Uppsala safe in 2013?

by sirdefied Online Now Jan 28, 2013 at 2:23 AM

I know that it's a bit of a general and maybe laughable question but I've been hearing alot of bad things. I've read alot of good things and I was hoping to take a study abroad program at the university. Some of my family members seem concerned about terrorism and crime and assaults. Hopefully with some help I can show them replies and put their mind at ease would help. Any tips and suggestions for a foreigner coming to Sweden for a semester of school. Thanks !

Quote & Answer
23 Answers
  • Redang's Profile Photo

Re: Is Uppsala safe in 2013?

by Redang Online Now Jan 28, 2013 at 2:45 AM

"alot of good things " Which ones? If I may ask

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • cgf's Profile Photo

by cgf Online Now Jan 28, 2013 at 2:56 AM

>>> Some of my family members seem concerned about terrorism and crime and assaults ????????????

Also Newtown was (and it still is) a nice and quite little town of 28,000 residents
    in Connecticut where violent crime had been rare.
    there was only one homicide in the town in the ten years prior December 14, 2012.
    imho Upsala is safe, you 'they' should be not worried...
    of course if plane would NOT crash down over your head...

• arturowan's Profile Photo

by arturowan Online Now Jan 28, 2013 at 2:59 AM

I think anything you've heard about Uppsala is GROSSLY EXAGGERATED! Sweden is 1 of the safest places you can visit - even the junkies & alcoholics begging on the streets in Stockholm, are mostly placid & will not approach you. Sweden has a tiny minority of neo-Nazi's, but I think it unlikely you will meet any of them...

• akkipaa's Profile Photo

by akkipaa Online Now Jan 28, 2013 at 3:07 AM

My daughter studied a couple of years ago in Uppsala and I really would like to ask your sources of bad things. As mentioned before, anything can happen in any place but as far as I feel, I would go to anyplace in Sweden (outside some red points in Sto) without any hesitation of my safety. Normal rules of course to remember (nights, crowded places, drugs, spirits,...). Where are you coming from?

• sirdefied's Profile Photo

by sirdefied Online Now Jan 28, 2013 at 5:30 AM

The good things I heard were the locals were very nice, the country is beautiful and Uppsala is a nice place to go to school. I know the news makes things look worse then they are sometimes I just wanted to make sure.

by sirdefied Online Now Jan 28, 2013 at 5:35 AM

I'm from Canada so no planes falling on my head but friends were showing me news reports and forums and blogs about Muslims in Sweden taking advantage of the country and it's women. Some women I know are more anxious then me obviously and I really want to go so I'm hoping its all fabrication from the media!

by akkipaa Online Now Jan 28, 2013 at 5:52 AM

Again, if only you are looking some safe area from the world, some comes to my mind and Sweden is on very top. As coming from neighbor coutry I have visited there a lot and compared to our side, Swedes are open, reliable (as we :) and they have what we call "livsglädje", joy of life. I visit Uppsala campus/apartments and that is as multi cultural as Swedes are, really enjoyed my visit there. If you follow Forums and blogs you can find anything, but I hope you don't paint your world with that info. Ask some one studied there, I am sure that you find a contact from Canada also, from some student forum for example.

The only think you should avoid there (in Sweden) is surströmming, it's tinned acid baltic herring you can buy from market house :) I bought one and when I opened it burst to my clothes and I had to burn them (again, I warned you about Forums :) and get rid of the fish.

• cgf's Profile Photo

by cgf Online Now Jan 28, 2013 at 6:12 AM

Patagonia Sur is considered a very safe place and not only because there are not many flights routes over there.
    :))

by sirdefied Online Now Jan 28, 2013 at 6:13 AM

That's good I was actually worried slightly thinking I'd like to see the problem if there is one so I can do something to fight it but Sweden sounds amazing. Think I'm going to go once before school to check it out !

by sirdefied Online Now Jan 28, 2013 at 6:15 AM

Any recommendations for places to visit in Sweden? I'm young and single and I like good restaurants and parties and festivals and would like to visit other countries I'm Europe so recommendations would be great thanks!

• Redang's Profile Photo

by Redang Online Now Jan 28, 2013 at 9:35 PM

Places: Stockholm, Uppsala, Sigtuna (close to Stochholm), Malmo, Helsinborg, Goteborg (and some places in between), Lund, Ystad......

by akkipaa Online Now Jan 28, 2013 at 10:22 PM

If you like to visit other coutries, you can always take a ferry trip to Helsinki or Turku. You can spend nights on the boat and day or a few on site. But those ferries are more dangerous than Uppsala :) those are places of partying (just heard that the newest boat changed rules, they sell "tax free" spirits only when you are coming back to prevent partying with spirits on cabins).

by sirdefied Online Now Jan 29, 2013 at 11:26 PM

I heard Malmo was among the more dangerous areas of Sweden. Is that true? Something about gangs and immigrants that don't respect police, citizens or Sweden. I know bad people exist everywhere but I hope that's not true. I'd like to explore alot of the country while I'm there and see as much of Europe as I can. I will return again I'm sure but want to really enjoy my time in Uppsala, Sweden and Europe! Finland and Norway were targets of mine as well as Germany, Poland and Czech Republic. Will I be able to see a bit of each country in 6 months or so while attending and seriously achieving in school? I know it depends on work ethic. But I do take pride in that so I'm just hoping to check out main cities in those countries and a few tourist attractions and hit a few parties, restaurants, concerts and sporting events along the way.
    Want to really take a good look as Sweden though as I've always had a fascination with the country for many reasons and am finding more everyday.
    Sorry for the rant. Thanks for the continual help from everyone!

• Redang's Profile Photo

by Redang Online Now Jan 29, 2013 at 11:30 PM

Where have you heard such things? I spent 2 weeks in Sweden about 2,5 years ago, and I did find an excellent and safe country.

by sirdefied Online Now Jan 29, 2013 at 11:39 PM

I google and find articles or hear things from people. I'm not the type to believe everything I hear and tend to do follow up research like I'm doing now. I love this virtual tourist community because its helped me get a better understanding of people's perceptions of a place I want to visit with how they actually are from people that have visited or lived there themselves. I hope you don't feel I'm naive or think my friends are idiots or that I'm a google know it all. Just bringing things to the discussion table.

I'm so much more excited to come visit now. If any locals wanna show me around when I arrive for a few hours even I'd love to experience a perspective of a local on how to best tackle such an amazing country.

by sirdefied Online Now Jan 29, 2013 at 11:42 PM

Also I heard alot of things about Malmo and Muslims and all that junk from other forums. I know you can't believe everything you read but there is some useful advice on forums. ( this one for example right?) I wonder why all the fear? Must be the media and hear say driving people crazy. Want me to post links? I bookmarked some of the more disturbing stories or discussions.

• Redang's Profile Photo

by Redang Online Now Jan 29, 2013 at 11:48 PM

"I hope you don't feel I'm naive or think my friends are idiots", of course not, just wondering.

Europe, in general the cities, are quite safe, you only have to use your common sense and enjoy the countries/cities. Obviously, if you visit the "tough" areas, you may be in trouble, however, the main attractions as I suppose you are interested in visiting, are very safe for tourists/visitors.

On the other hand, I do understand you. Every time we read or hear something dangerous, bad news or whatever about a city, they normally don't have anything to do with the reality.

• Redang's Profile Photo

by Redang Online Now Jan 29, 2013 at 11:50 PM

You are Canadian, aren't you? More or less, the same: Canada=Sweden, I felt safe 100% of my time there.

by akkipaa Online Now Jan 30, 2013 at 4:21 AM

There has been troubles in Malmö, right, but I just read on the morning that the city has invested a lot to police forces and situation is coming better. I am on the road now, but I check when home. Btw, Malmö is some 700-800km south from Uppsala.

by sirdefied Online Now Jan 30, 2013 at 10:30 AM

Ok in addition to the the other questions I'm still awaiting a reply for does anyone mind if I link some of the info I've been hearing? It's so much from so many places I need direct answers and lots of em to explain why all the paranoia. If someone tells me to post the links to the forums and videos and websites I will be glad to thanks!

by akkipaa Online Now Jan 30, 2013 at 12:37 PM

Jake, that is not a question, so please don't. If you would like to share your experiences, please make and update your personal pages. The info you are speaking about is easily found if some one is interested. Still, your question was, is Sweden or Uppsala safe and the answer is definitely yes. You might find all kind of sources telling anything, there are places you should avoid, but originally you question concerned Uppsala and security there. It's a pity that there has not been Swedes answering, but I know what they say. You are welcome and safe.

Once again, this is Q&A forum, we really eagerly answer to all your questions to call you down with your or your friends paranoia, right!

• arturowan's Profile Photo

by arturowan Online Now Jan 31, 2013 at 1:16 AM

I've not been to Uppsala since 2004 - but even so, I cannot imagine its altered much since then & it's a student town, after all. But the crime records reflect - Sweden is 1 of the safest countries to live & work - the crime rate is much lower than most places, including UK - but there is still some trouble, but you'd have to be unlucky to be on the receiving end of it. I think the reason for this ? is what happened to those students in Norway, but this was a totally isolated event & it doesn't truly reflect what country or Scandinavia, are generally like...

• Re: Is Uppsala safe in 2013?

by rnauser Online Now Mar 19, 2013 at 7:27 AM

Uppsala is a safe place to be, the same goes for Malmö. The media tends to exaggerate everything to get a better news story. There been some incidents in Malmö but those date back several years now and 99% of the times the trouble is in a specific part of Malmö called Rosengård. But as I said its more calm now and u as a foreign student or a turist would never be near that part of Malmö.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Uppsala Län Travel Answer Locations