Uppsala Travel Answers

change location
sempdog's Profile Photo

uppsala in the spring

by sempdog Online Now Jun 29, 2006 at 9:52 PM

Hello,
i'm a college student from the midwest, i just got accepted into a study abroad program at SLU uppsala, i was wondering if there is anything interesting such as festivals in the spring, and if there would be a good and inexpensive(i'm a poor college student) weekend getaway from uppsala, such as finland,denmark,norway or somewhere in sweden? thanks

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • Sjalen's Profile Photo

RE: uppsala in the spring

by Sjalen Online Now Jun 30, 2006 at 12:39 AM

Walpurgis is a great thing in Sweden 30 April. Then all Swedes celebrate the arrival of spring and light bonfires, and in student cities, students don their hats and sing. In Uppsala, this happens at Gunillaklockan, a bell tower outside the castle. I think there's also a race in the river with home made vessels :)))

As for getaways, Stockholm is of course very close as is Sweden's oldest town Sigtuna with its viking legacies (of which you have plenty in Uppsala too). I strongly advise a trip into the nearby archipelago too.

Further away, there are national bus lines in Sweden which are cheap and can take you to cheerful and anglophile Gothenburg but also to the other Nordic capitals. www.swebusexpress.se is one to check. Trains can be cheap if you book well in advance (or in your case have a student discount) and are quicker. www.sj.se If you want to see the highlands (I strongly recommend Kiruna and Abisko National Park), the trains are www.connex.se

Both trains and the buses I mentioned above take you to Copenhagen.

Easy to get to from Uppsala is also the World Heritage town of Falun.

Ferries to Finland are incredibly cheap due to fierce competition from Stockholm. Both Silja Line and Viking Line have plenty of departures where you can spend cruise through the archipelagos and spend a day in Helsinki or Turku before returning again with the same ferry (cheaper than staying more days which is also perfectly possible). There are also ferries to Tallinn in Estonia.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines