United States of America Travel Answers

change location
Jhoolah's Profile Photo

Road trip help San Fran to la ....

by Jhoolah Online Now Mar 6, 2013 at 12:43 PM

HI GUYS

So I have decied to got to San Fran and LA in September for my 30th....... I have 10 days. We are going to take the scenic route on highway 1, but would like your advise on a few things :

1) recommendations on your 'Must Sees' allong the way.- Amazing views etc. Beautiful beaches and scenery

2) where is the best place to stop over on the way and where , if I can only stay over one night where would you recommend .

3) And would you agree with the time i have chosen for each place:

2 days San fran....

2 day road trip---

6 days LA.....

any advise would be brilliant.

Thank you

Quote & Answer
28 Answers
  • haysnoe's Profile Photo

Re: Road trip help San Fran to la ....

by haysnoe Online Now Mar 6, 2013 at 12:58 PM

Everything is subjective according to individual taste, but my preference would be six days in SF and two in LA, if those were my only choices. The route down Hwy. 1 is spectacular. Maybe add a day to that and spend much of one day in Monterrey or Santa Cruz, then a day in Big Sur area, then perhaps stop at Hearst Castle, or Morro Bay, or Pismo Beach (and get some clam chowder at that joint down by the pier, the Splash Cafe).
    Again, if you have a whole lot of things that you want to do in LA then by all means weight your trip accordingly but SF is so much more enjoyable a place for a visitor to spend time, in my opinion.

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Basaic's Profile Photo

by Basaic Online Now Mar 6, 2013 at 1:05 PM

I would agree with the above and at least expand my time in SF (maybe 4 days in each so it is more evenly distributed). There is a lot to see in both places. I also agree that Monterrey Bay area is a must see.

Be the first to rate this answer!

• pizzuti's Profile Photo

by pizzuti Online Now Mar 6, 2013 at 1:06 PM

hello - i love big sur and a sit-down small treat at nepenthe restaurant. a gorgeous hike down to a beach just north of santa lucia will give you a private shower in a freshwater waterfall coming off the hillside. for me, i'd throw in an extra day for san francisco and go over the bridge to sausalito, drive up the coast to muir beach and have a pint while sitting inside the fireplace at the old english pelican inn. take a day off LA for that. have fun !

2 members found this helpful

• riorich55's Profile Photo

by riorich55 Online Now Mar 6, 2013 at 1:11 PM

I will second the above responder with more time in San Francisco and less time in Los Angeles, but again it depends one what you really like to do. For me San Francisco has always been one of my favorite cities ever since I visited there the first time in 1985. There are so many things to do within and around the city that even after multiple business and pleasure trips to the Bay Area I haven't seen them all. Let me give you a short list of why I think you should consider more time in San Francisco.

1. The diversity of the neighborhoods - Within a couple of blocks you can go from a very vibrant Chinatown district to an equally vibrant Italian district.  That's just one example of the different types of neighborhoods.
    2. The hills and the bay - San Francisco is a very scenic town with its steep hills and beautiful bay.  Taking the cable cars up and down those hills from the shopping district down to the bay is always an experience I partake when I'm in town.
    3. Restaurants - Not really glitzy like you might find in Los Angles, but many very small places each with an atmosphere all their own.
    4. Easy to get around - Don't rent a car, but use all the different forms of transportation from the cable cars to the buses to the street cars.  Each an experience in and of themselves.
    5. Surrounding area - On my very first trip back in 1985 I took a ferry (yet another form of transportation) across the bay to a wonderful little town called Sausalito.  Restaurants right on the water and just an interesting place to stroll around.

OK, enough gushing about San Francisco.  For more information you can check out my San Francisco page along with many others.  I'm sure you will get some nice reviews from Los Angeles also, but again strongly consider more time in San Francisco.  I'm sure you won't be disappointed.  By the way the best time to visit San Francisco weather wise is in September and October.

• giampiero6's Profile Photo

by giampiero6 Online Now Mar 6, 2013 at 1:45 PM

Hi...I live in LA ( Venice area) and I would definitely recommend that you NOT spend 6 days here at the expense of other stuff, UNLESS what you want to do the following:

1. Go to clubs in Hollywood, the strip and downtown
    2. Shop
    3. See movie related stuff
    4. Just hang out at beaches (water relatively cold)

If you aren't here to do those specific things, then I highly recommend that you spend those extra days on the road between SF and LA and in area around SF.

HWY 1, as others above have said is INCREDIBLE and there is beautiful nature, wonderful towns, vineyards, ranchland. Magical.

• Odinnthor's Profile Photo

by Odinnthor Online Now Mar 6, 2013 at 2:08 PM

OK, I posted this already but it was too long, so I am spreading this response over about three postings.....OK?

Hi there and welcome to VT......d:o)

Well, you have ben told to spread the time around a bit, and that is correct. You need three nights (minimum) just for the road trip. Spend more time in San Francisco to be sure, however if you want to go to wine country, - either take as tour or plan it on the last day in SFO, and only rent the car before going there. Having a car in SFO id a real pain and it is expensive. Taxis take you crosstown for a few bucks and the regular public transport is plentiful. SFO is compact, due to simply not having any extra space, quite unlike Los Angeles, whicvh is the only majpor city in the U.S., - that was literally built around the automobile, so it is spread out to such a point, that the Greater Los Angeles Area, - is bigger than many states and numerous countries.

As for the road trip, - I once did a season of Grand California Tours, so I know this route pretty well. Rather than be redundant, and attempt to write the same thing differently in order to seem fresh, - I will simply give you the last of my semi-itineraries that i have given out to several people. By all means,feel free to elaborate and ask specific questions. What I have left out, are the descriptions of the Nat'l parks in Big Sur. There are others here that know them better. Here we go.......d:o)

See below........

by Odinnthor Online Now Mar 6, 2013 at 2:09 PM

I will concentrate on the road trip from SF to LA, and I can add LA to SD, if you are so inclined. Many things to do in SF of course. As for accommodations, I like the St Francis on Union Square, but it is a fairly pricey property. I do however recommend staying on or a round the Square, as it is very central and close to attractions and public transport. Here are four good boutique hotels there. I know them as well and they all are good.

http://www.personalityhotels.com/

http://www.westinstfrancis.com/

We have some good SF people here so will only say that you should take time out for the Napa/Sonoma wine country, and the best way to prepare for that is to review the pages of my friend "travelgourmet" (see response above). Click on the name above the photo, and follow the links on his travelmap.

You need to spend two nights in Monterey/Carmel and one more night, where depends on if you intend to do a Hearst Castle tour. If so, I recommend staying in Cambria/San Simeon, to take the 8:00am tour. If not, then you can stay in Solvang or San Luis Obispo, or any on the places in the area, including Morro Bay. Or even stay at the famous Madonna Inn. Really interesting story how it came about. The public mens room there is something to behold. The rooms each have their own style, Cave room, Pirate room, Renaisance room etc....

http://www.madonnainn.com/

Here are a couple of things to do on the way between Monterey and San Francisco.

Winchester Mystery House. Another very interesting backstory, involving the daughter of the famous manufacturer of the Winchester rifle. She basically went nuts and had a construction crew work day and night adding to the house, - for 38 years. Stairs leading to nowhere doors into empty space, why? She was haunted by the spirits of all the people killed by the Winchester rifle.....and she meant to confuse them. Check it out here...

winchestermysteryhouse.com/i...

Mystery Spot in Santa Cruz...? Really weird phenomena to do with the time/space continuum. Nothing like it anywhere else, - and yes, it is not a hoax. It is real. Take a look....see the video:

mysteryspot.com/parking.shtm...

There is so much to see and do on the San Francisco to L.A. route. I have fronted tours on this route and know it pretty well. Also a nice stop before Monterey is in the Santa Cruz beach/boardwalk community, one of the original 60s counterculture communities, and it shows. You can still see the aging hippies, running the candle shops and such, - it is a good thing.....d:o)

http://www.beachboardwalk.com/

.......continued....

by Odinnthor Online Now Mar 6, 2013 at 2:11 PM

If you leave San Francisco early, you can take your time to get to Monterey. I
    recommend two nights there due to the abundance of things to see and do. Go through Cannery Row in Monterey, include absolutely the Aquarium. Perhaps a stop at Clint Eastwood's restaurant, The Hogs Breath Inn, in Carmel. (He actually sold it some years ago, but it still trades on his name...). It is on San Carlos and 5th. Dinner I would suggest at The Old Fisherman's grotto, originated by the legendary Sabu (the original Mowgli in The Jungle Book, and now run by his son). Perhaps a lunch in Carmel, or even at the Pebble Beach Golf Course, where you can pick up a gourmet lunch at the Market at Pebble Beach, next to the Lodge at Pebble Beach. Not sure if they have upgrated the brochure for the "17 Mile Drive", heading south, but if you look at the website it you can determine if you want to include it.

http://www.oldfishermansgrotto.com/

Here is my personal page on Carmel/Pebble Beach/Monterey, with all the additional websites you need.

Pebble Beach Things to Do Tips by Odinnthor

I would try to stay in Carmel, as it is a B&B type community, and atmospheric as well. Here is Doris Days's place, the Cypress Inn, and many others....

http://www.cypress-inn.com/

bedandbreakfast.com/carmel-c...

Then drive south through Big Sur, - it is a long and windy road with breathtaking views.(read up on it). Perhaps a stop at the old bohemian mecca, the Nepenthe, a favorite of Elizabeth Taylor, and have lunch. Then on down to Hearst Castle. Drive past the road leading to the castle, and stay overnight in one of the hotels down the road. The very first hotel on the left side of the road, (name escapes me), quite often would have Hearst family members do a informal talk with slides from the glory days of the family. Always a big highlight with my tour members. The tours at the castle start at 8:00 am, (they have a virtual tour on their website now). You cannot drive up there but take their bus up the hill.

http://www.hearstcastle.org/

Then continue south where you pass Morro Bay and Morro Rock, - and join highway 101, and then consider making a left at Highway 246 for about 5 miles to the Scandinavian village of Solvang. It is worth a quick stop.

http://www.solvangusa.com/

Go back to 101, and continue through Santa Barbara. If you want to see some of this town, drive up State Street, and take your time.

http://www.santabarbaraca.com/

As I said, if you decide not to take in the Hearst Castle tour, then you can pick a place to stay, as I said above.

Continue down through City of Ventura. Consider taking Harbor Blvd offramp for about a mile and you will see the Ventura Harbor sign. Turn right and go all the way around to the farthest parking lot and walk in to the harbor for a late lunch. Worth a stop.

http://www.venturaharborvillage.com/

When you leave, turn right on Harbor Blvd and run it all the way to Channel Islands Blvd, and go right to the Oxnard Blvd. Pacific Coast Highway intersection. Turn right on Highway 1, and take that road along the beach all the way through Malibu. Here is a site that lets you in on who lives in Malibu these days:

seeing-stars.com/live/malibu...

.......one more.........d:o)

by Odinnthor Online Now Mar 6, 2013 at 2:12 PM

Take note of Zuma Beach, the surfer's mecca, immortalized in the film Point Break with Keanu Reeves and Patrick Swazsy. Pacific Coast Hightway (Highway 1) will run into interstate 10 at Santa Monica Pier. This is kinda the short version but feel free to E-Mail me if you want further instructions.

Dont' worry about driving in L.A., - yes a lot of people are threatened by it having heard about our endless traffic. L.A. is the only major city in the U.S., that is built around the automobile and is therefore very much spread out, - an absolute opposite of San Francisco, which is very compact, and there you definately don't need a car. So don't pick up a car until ready to leave SF.

Good idea to stay in Hollywood, although parking is a little tight, as there are many things to see and do there that can be enjoyed on foot. There are plenty of hotels on or around Hollywood Blvd, but do not cosider any less than 3 or even 4 star hotel there. Here is my favorite old hotel, the legendary Hollywood Roosevelt, the home of the original Oscars. Great club there called the Cinegrill. Also a great place for celebrity sightings, especially at the pool.

Or do what I think is a great idea. Stay at the Magic Castle Hotel, which will get you into the iconic Magic Castle, a legendary private club, that just has to be seen, if at all possible. Check it out.

http://magiccastlehotel.com/

http://www.magiccastle.com/

Take a look at my Los Angeles/Hollywood/Beverly Hills page, chock full of information on the areas with plenty of websites to absorb as well:

"Los Angeles / Hollywood / Beverly Hills" - Los Angeles by Odinnthor

A fixed cab fare to Downtown/Airport or vice versa is $43.00. Should be similar to Hollywood. Ask the driver(s) first for a price. Or you can take a shuttle. Here are a couple of shuttle websites:

rrshuttle.com/user/Reservati...

http://www.primetimeshuttle.com/

There is more of course, but this ought to get you both started......

Hope this is of some service. Don't hesitate to ask specifics.......d:o)

• blueskyjohn's Profile Photo

by blueskyjohn Online Now Mar 6, 2013 at 2:33 PM

I agree. Spending more time in SF is a good choice. When you do decide to drive down to LA, considering spending the night in Cambria, "Great place for the weekend" - Cambria by blueskyjohn

Great location (half way between SF and LA), good food and plenty to do and see.

• TooTallFinn24's Profile Photo

by TooTallFinn24 Online Now Mar 6, 2013 at 2:54 PM

Growing up in San Francisco and San Mateo County and having a house there here are a few things I would recommend seeing on Highway 1 down to Los Angeles. I will just focus on the part of the trip from San Francisco south to Big Sur. One of these sights is just opening this summer.

Great place to eat in Big Sur is Deetjen's for great fresh food including breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Tom Lantos Tunnels- Opening next month is an amazing glitzy theme park like tunnel just south of Pacifica. The 2 mile tunnel was built because parts of Highway , along a steep cliff, slipped into the ocean eight times in the last 40 or so years.

Drop by two spectacular state beaches- Right off Highway 1 are two very pretty state beaches; San Gregorio and Pescadero. High cliffs on sides of the beaches but definitely worth a quick look.

Pescadero- Just a mile or so off Highway 1 is the town of Pescadero. Stop in at Arcangeli Grocery Co. for a unique and the most tasty ever artichoke garlic bread!

Ano Nuevo State Park- Few miles south of Pescadero is a splendid untouched piece of California. The park has huge groups of elephant seals, sea lions, and other marine mammals come ashore to rest, mate, and give birth in the sand dunes or on the beaches. Definitely something to be seen and much better than walking the wharves in Santa Cruz or Monterey.

Santa Cruz- while mainly a beach town there are some great places to see. Walk along the old Boardwalk area and ride on the Great Dipper, walk north of the Boardwalk along the ocean to see some great homes, and up to Natural Bridges State Park. One way walk in 30-45 minutes.

Big Basin or Henry Cowell State Park- If you have time and want to see how big a redwood tree can get take a slight detour in Santa Cruz to one of these two state parks. The largest redwood groves between SF and LA.

Monterey- So much do here. But definitely walk the old town of Monterey, visit Cannery row, see the incredible Monterey Bay Aquarium, walk along Fisherman's wharf, and drive over to Pacific Grove to see the flowers and homes along the water. Go south to Carmel and walk the downtown and visit the Mission. If you missed Ano Nuevo State Beach definitely go to the Point Lobos Natural Reserve for great scenery and views of seals and sea lions.

While many recommend the 17 Mile Drive in Monterey I personally think it is overrated and too touristy.

Monterey would be a great place to spend a night if you have time.

Big Sur- One of the prettiest places in California. Things I would see in Big Sur are;
    - Walking along Pfieffer Beach for amazing ocean views
    - Hiking to McWay Falls at Pfieffer State Park
    - Stopping at Hurricane Point and the Bixby Creek bridge to take in the stunning ocean views.

I

• TooTallFinn24's Profile Photo

by TooTallFinn24 Online Now Mar 6, 2013 at 2:55 PM

Sorry the last entry places to eat in Big Sur ended up being first rather than last ):

• DueSer's Profile Photo

by DueSer Online Now Mar 6, 2013 at 7:31 PM

I've disagreed with Giampero about this before but I think there is A LOT more to do in LA than just go club hopping, shopping, and sunbathing. We have great hiking trails, nice gardens, and good museums, as well as some unique historical spots. However, that said, I too think 6 days is way too long unless you're visiting someone here.
    I love SF as well but disagree that you could fill 6 days up there, unless you're taking day trips out to Muir Woods and Napa Valley, etc (altho if you did, there would be a better home base than actually in the city of SF).
    I would recommend maybe splitting it up differently. How about 3 or 4 days max in SF and 2-3 days in LA and the rest of those 10 days you have would to spend actually driving down the coast. You'd be surprised how quickly a day goes by when you're stopping frequently - and believe me, Hwy 1 is a road that practically forces you to stop frequently. Besides all the official stops, like Julia Pfieffer Burns State Park, which is gorgeous and a definite highlight, there are unofficial places - spots along the coast that just say, "Vista Point" (or no signs at all) and you whip in and end up standing there for quite a while enjoying the beauty and solititude, taking pictures, maybe even doing a little hiking. If you have somewhere you have to be then by all means stick with 2 days for the actual drive but if you don't, consider making the drive longer so you can enjoy Monterey, Santa Cruz, Carmel, Big Sur, up north and down on this end - Santa Barbara, Carpenteria, Ventura, Malibu, all of it but especially those little unnamed spots that are just gorgeous and have nothing else to offer except the beauty of California. I think you'll find this drive is perfect for a leisurely pace when you don't feel pressured to get to a certain point by a certain time because you have hotel reservations in San Simeon or whatever.

by giampiero6 Online Now Mar 7, 2013 at 7:16 AM

DueSer wrote:I've disagreed with Giampero about this before but I think there is A LOT more to do in LA than just go club hopping, shopping, and sunbathing. We have great hiking trails, nice gardens, and good museums....

My friend Dueser knows and loves LA and gives great advice! I just want to be clear that I KNOW there is a lot more to do in LA. I hike here every weekend, was just at Descanso Gardens 2 weeks ago and visit the museums...my point is that compared to other opportunities in the rest of CA and this glorious trip the only subjects where LA stands out in comparison is clubbing, shopping, and bathing beaches. All the rest can be better explored elsewhere...and so I suggest getting out there.

What great advice everybody!

• Rixie's Profile Photo

by Rixie Online Now Mar 7, 2013 at 6:13 PM

Santa Barbara is only about 100 miles NW of Los Angeles, but it's definitely worth a stop. It has beautiful beaches, nice restaurants, and historic sites. If you're into history, Mission Santa Barbara is fascinating.

Here's a video overview: santabarbaraca.com/experienc...

by giampiero6 Online Now Mar 7, 2013 at 6:16 PM

Yeah and hit Los Olivos near there for wine!

by Odinnthor Online Now Mar 7, 2013 at 6:40 PM

I agree. I would take an extra night added to my itinerary above, and do it in or arounf Santa Barbara/Los Olivos. Thet are both right, adding time in Santa Barbara, and a wine country circle to Los Olivos could completely replace a trip to wine country north of San Francisco. If you want wine country information, from Napa and Sonoma to the Central Coast on down, - a review of VT member >travelgourmet pages are essential reading. Just follow the links to the wine country pages.......d:o)

"Carpe Diem - Complexo Nox" - travelgourmet's Profile

If you hzve historical interest in California's early history, then a review of the History of the California Missions is also essential reading. You can then keep in mind that, all the way down the coast there are missions in the chain of missions. One of the better examples is the one suggested above, in Santa Barbara. Therer are 26 main missions, built by the early Franciscans, and their locations from San Diego, going north, "are a day's ride on a horse", thereby providing sanctuary and shelter for travellers up thecalifornia Coast.

http://www.missionscalifornia.com/

http://www.santabarbaramission.org/

• DueSer's Profile Photo

by DueSer Online Now Mar 7, 2013 at 7:11 PM

If you're taking Hwy 1 down you won't hit all the missions but you could hit quite a few - if you find them interesting. I did the entire mission trail not long ago and my travelogue of it begins here: "California's Missions" - California Travelogue by DueSer

You could see the missions in SF, Carmel, Santa Cruz, and Santa Barbara just staying on Hwy 1 and be sure to check out the absolutely beautiful Santa Barbara courthouse. It is an amazing piece of art and the view from the top is fantastic.

• Jhoolah's Profile Photo

by Jhoolah Online Now Mar 8, 2013 at 11:43 PM

Wow thank you for all your help I will take this all on board . I will add an extra day to san fransico , the reason I wanted to do the h1 trip in 2 days was to get to la for the Sunday to see a live baseball game which I have checked is only on that Sunday , I thought this would be a fun American day out in la but if an extra day on the road would be more fun il miss. That and lessen my time in LA

Have any of you been to a baseball game and recommend this ? Maybe I could go in san fransico ?

Also so far the trips a lot of sight seeing I'd like some chill time too which would u say are the nicest beaches/ towns on h1 for some downtime ?

Thanks

• DueSer's Profile Photo

by DueSer Online Now Mar 9, 2013 at 9:08 AM

I would recommend Dodger Stadium in LA over AT&T Park in SF. It will be less expensive and warmer;-)
    I'm wondering why you have to go on that particular day in September. Baseball games are played almost every day and are usually played 3 or 4 days in a row before there is a day off. It depends when in September you'll be here but those three Sundays in September when the Dodgers are in town aren't the only three days available. Same in SF - they're both going to be out of town for about 2 weeks but home the rest of the time.
    Something to bear in mind about going to ball game in September, no matter if you go in LA or SF, if the team is doing well, it can be very difficult to get tickets in Sept because the season ends the first of October and the playoffs begin. So those Sept games can become extremely important and therefore, any tickets that haven't sold previously usually get snatched up when people realize those games could be deciding who goes to the playoffs. Since the Dodgers and the Giants frequently do well, it might be hard to get tickets when you get to SF or LA. Once you get your schedule pretty much set, you might want to go ahead and purchase the game tickets. You can have them held for you at the box office so you don't have to worry about carrying them around on your road trip.

sanfrancisco.giants.mlb.com/...

losangeles.dodgers.mlb.com/s...

by Odinnthor Online Now Mar 9, 2013 at 9:40 AM

Chris makes god points regarding the ball game. Dodger Stadium is currently undergoing serious renovations, which will make the venue on of the very best in the nation. They say that most of the work will be done prior to the exhibition "Freeway series". (It is called that as the two teams are both from Greater Los Angelels area, the Dodgers and the Angels).

By September most all of the work will be done so should not affect you, except, I understand that there may be a rush on tickets as diehard Dodger fans who normally may not go physically to the game, but will do so now, to experience the new dig of their team.

ocregister.com/articles/kast...

Point is, - be flexible on dates and where to see a game. I also know that the relatively new ATT Stadium which is literally in the heart of San Francisco, is enjoying stellar atendance by their fans.

This is shaping up to be one great road trip.............d:o)

• Rixie's Profile Photo

by Rixie Online Now Mar 9, 2013 at 5:47 PM

I love AT&T Park. It's small, so you can see the action from almost every seat, and the view of the water is beautiful.

It's true that that SF is colder than L.A., but September and October are usually the best months in SF, weatherwise.

The Giants' website has their schedule: http://sanfrancisco.giants.mlb.com

by Jhoolah Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 9:52 AM

Once again, thanks for everyone's input, makes planning trip like these so much easier and interesting.

Having looked at the rosters for both teams, unluckily they fall just on the wrong days!

Unless we switch the trip round and go to Dodgers vs Giants in LA at the start.

Decisions!

by Odinnthor Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 10:34 AM

OK, we have one more team in L.A. - OK not exactly in L.A. but in the Greater Los Angeles Area. Although the people of Anaheim (where Disneyland is locaded) were furious when the team changed its name from the Anaheim Angels to the Los Angeles Angels, they play at the Honda Bowl in Anaheim and the Angles are always a winning team.

losangeles.angels.mlb.com/ti...

by Jhoolah Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 12:26 PM

Thanks for your help odinnthor.

Once last question is the road trip on h1 better from San Fran to La or La to San Fran

Or does it not make much difference

Thanks

by Odinnthor Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 1:01 PM

It really does not matter that much. If you follow my itinerary, - in reverse. I actually have the same itinerary in reverse. I am happy to give it to you if you prefer.

The only difference is that on H1 you are driving on the ocean side of the road from SFO, and on the cliff side from LAX. Going from LA, may change the momentum a bit but not so as to matter much. Personally I prefer to go from SFO.

• Rixie's Profile Photo

by Rixie Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 1:51 PM

You could also check the schedule of the Oakland A's, across the bay. http://oakland.athletics.mlb.com

• DueSer's Profile Photo

by DueSer Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 5:07 PM

Personally, I think it's better to drive Hwy 1 from LA to SF because that way you are up against the land side of the road. When you drive it from SF to LA, you are on the ocean side of the road and some of those twists and turns in the road have you right on a very steep edge. The road does make for distracted driving since there's such a great view. If you're unfamiliar with the road, it might be better to play it a little safer and drive on the land side. There's a reason they sell "I Survived Hwy 1" t-shirts;-)

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular United States of America Travel Answer Locations