United States of America Travel Answers

change location
Laura94cm's Profile Photo

Travelling for work and living in miami for 3-4 months

by Laura94cm Online Now Feb 28, 2013 at 1:22 PM

Hello, I am from London, UK.
I am an 18 year old student until July, and I am planning to move out to Miami, florida around JAN 2014 time for a few months to do some work and expierence the american life.

I'm just wondering who else is thinking of going around this time looking to do the same thing? it would be nice to get an idea of who I will be with..

Also, anybody that has been travelling, could you tell me which hostles are the cheapest/bes value for money to stay in?

Thanks, laura!

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • PR-7's Profile Photo

Re: Travelling for work and living in miami for 3-4 months

by PR-7 Online Now Feb 28, 2013 at 2:48 PM

I'm not sure what your plan is, Laura, but I'm going to ensure you have the info that you need. If you already have this info, all the better.

> I am planning to move out to Miami ... for a few months to do some work

First of all, as a U.K. citizen you are pretty much forbidden to do ANY work for pay while here. Unless a U.S. employer has certified that no American citizen is capable of doing the job you intend to do, and does so BEFORE you arrive, all of your work will be illegal. Which means, if you are caught, you'll have a REAL problem EVER coming back. Also, if you are mistreated or or abused or under-paid by whoever you intend to work for, you'll have no recourse but to accept it.

If you intend to stay for more than 90 days, you'll need a visa. To get a visa, you'll have to PROVE (and the burden is on YOU) that you'll be able to support yourself for the entire time you are here. If you even hint that you'll be working while here, your visa application will be rejected.

Florida is a great place to spend the ninety days you can visit on a visa-waiver holiday (we call it a "vacation" on this side of the pond). That might be the way to go, as you'll avoid all the potential for hassles. You show up, you have fun, you leave -- no questions, no problems.

As for reviews of hostels in Miami, here's a start:
    hostelworld.com/search?city=...">hostelworld.com/search?city=...

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Homanded's Profile Photo

Re: Travelling for work and living in miami for 3-4 months

by Homanded Online Now Feb 28, 2013 at 3:53 PM

Everything the above poster said PLUS - as someone who lives in Miami I can assure you that it is not a cheap place to live.
    Add to that the fact that transportation is very poor to non existent.
    If you plan on living/staying in SoBe (South Beach) - this is where most of the young and the tourists flock to - renting a car to get you to and from is a big necessity unless of course you plan on living on the beach (one of the more expensive areas to live in).
    Buses are another option but because of traffic and distance, commute into Miami proper could take as long as 2 hours.

You could stick to the Mainland area of Miami (Miami Beach is actually an island) - but again, transportation would be limited to buses/taxis unless you have a car.
    Food/lodging can be considerably cheaper on the mainland but you'd have to quickly learn how to identify where locals eat which again, depending on where you set up temporary home, could mean a lot of travel.
    Little Havana is a good place but far removed from anything other than downtown. You don't want to be near downtown or even little Havana after nightfall as area has really raised in crime in late years.
    Coconut Grove is very happening but has gone up in price in late years.
    Kendall is/sounds ideal for you for both affordable places as well as having a lot of outdoor activity such as movie theaters, game halls, shopping malls, cheap dining...it's just much more family oriented rather than a young person's hangout.

Just some off the hip observations from someone local.

2 members found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular United States of America Travel Answer Locations