Unawatuna

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• bus timetable

Sri Lanka 19 hours ago

i arrive sri lanka at 2.30 am from chennai. i only have 2 days in sri lanka. i want to go to dambulla,sigiriya and pulonnaruwa. may be someone can help me give information the fist bus leave katunayake to kurunegala or give me advice how i have to do so i can reach 3 places in 2 days by bus. thank you

more
    • fergal26Solo's Profile Photo

Rough Route Any Help Please!

Sri Lanka Jul 3, 2014 at 12:22 PM

Hello,
      I'm hoping someone out there might be able to point me in the right direction and Help me. I'm going to Sri lanka for 17 Nights, Arriving on the 1st of September. I’m 26 travelling on my own. Therefore I'm honestly a bundle of nerves but it’s something I really want and need to do for myself.

Knowing Nothing about Sri lanka. I bought A Lonely Planet Guide book. I've read a fair bit about certain places besides the North. To say the least it's hugely overwhelming. Even beginning to put an itinerary together is seriously daunting there's just so much to choose from and too much info on the net. That's why I turned here. Anyone’s guidance on a route and how to get from A to B would Be Invaluable.

Initially I had written down in my Things to Do list:

See Elephants and National Park
      Go for A longish cycle (Day-trip)
      Train Ride (Perhaps through the Hills)
      Some form Of hike forest-jungle
      See some wildlife + (See Some stunning Views)
      Sigiyara
      See Some Impressively big Buddha Statues

Now after reading about Colombo, West Coast, The South, The hill Country, The Ancient Cities and the East my mind is boggled. My List has morphed into another Guidebook. The last thing I want to do is be running around like a headless chicken trying to see too Much .I'm clueless which direction to start going. I'd like to see some Nice views, wildlife, Rural Villages and experience Sri lanka and its people not at a frenetic pace. I'm not really interested in history to much and I'm not a mad drinker also I will be on a budget so I doubt I’ll be hiring Drivers at all. Any tips on how to fit these in or the best approach or any advice would be more than welcome.

The only part I have decided on is to go to Negombo Over Colombo, So I will start out from here. It sounds like a place where I would be able to do a nice cycle and see some fishing towns. That’s what id really love to see authentic Villages and People. The only other concrete conclusion I have is it will have to be either the West or East coast to see some nice beaches both sound great. Galle again doesn’t hold too much to interest me, but it would be nice to see some nice beaches on the way south on the west coast and some towns and villages. So Maybe The south coast might be worth it (Love Fishing) It’s a toss up between west coast and The east coast for beaches. The east coast sounds a lot more interesting given its struggles over the past few decades and Argum bay and around sound equally nice any Opinions.I’m leaning towards the East.

Negombo-West Coast-South (Either option would give me a good foundation
      Negombo-East to start my trip)

The hill country sounds great (God It has So Much to Offer and I Bet Id get Great Views) I would like to see Horton plains – Worlds End .What stood out here was Sinharaja forest reserve for a trek (Even If Only for the day) or the Knuckles Range any advice would be Fantastic and also any recommendations for the hill country .I hear Nuwara Eliya and Ella are nice but I don’t want to bite of more than I can chew. What I have added to my original Wish List is Anuradhapura and Mirissa also Sounds Really Nice. So From my original list to Sinjahara ,Anuradhapura etc and the other places I have mentioned Could Anyone suggest what is achievable and what isn’t worth it. I’m Not sure where to fit the National Park into all of this Maybe once I have a rough route There may be one that will suit in the area I am in.

I’m sorry for the ridiculously long Questionnaire. I feel this trip is out of my depth at the moment and if I had a Rough Idea of where I was going I would be an awful lot happier so any Feedback I’d be So grateful.
      Thanking you
      Fergal

more
    • Whale watching from Unawatuna or Mirissa

Sri Lanka Jul 14, 2014 at 7:17 AM

We would like to go whale watching, but are uncertain if we can do it from Unawatuna or should rather stay a night in Mirissa to do it?
      As it seems like the tours start around 6.00 or 6.30 I assume it is best to stay in the town where you head out from?
      We would prefere to go from Unawatuna to avoid changing hotel, but uncertain if it the right choice?

Any advice on where to go from and which company to use?

more
    • Food and drink?

Sri Lanka Jul 9, 2014 at 2:59 PM

going to sri Lanka in 3 weeks (late booking), roughly how much can we expect to spend on meals, both in hotels and cafes? Going with our 2 teenage boys who have hollow legs so won't be fine dining too often!

more
    • fergal26Solo's Profile Photo

Revised Route September 1st (Any Input Very Welcome)

Sri Lanka Jul 8, 2014 at 12:19 PM

Hey
      Im wondering if ye would be so kind as to give me your thoughts on what I have been thinking following my last post.I promise I wont annoy ye too much anymore but I could do with the advice.

Looking At the Map I'm Wondering Is this feasible in the 17days and also How would be the best way to travel between each..

Negombo (2-3 Nights)
      Sigiriya (Habarana Nartional park) and do my cycle trip
      Anuradhapura
      Trincomalee (2-3 Nights)
      Maybe one more stop on the east coast
      Sinharaja (2Nights)
      Haputale (2Nights)

(Nights in each Place Just guessing But I dont want to Rush)

Therefore I would Skip Kandy and Finish my trip In Haputale.I think I would Be quite Happy with this Itinerary.Seem's to be a good Mixture. I'm Unsure where to base myself and for how long in Sigiriya (Habarana National Park) And Anuradhapura. What Do You think! And Ill be heading to trincomalee after.

I finally feel I am getting Somewhere thanks for the Ideas Guys :)

Thanks Fergal

more
    • A swimwear/ bikini shop in Unawatuna

by adrianavajova Online Now Apr 8, 2014 at 8:57 PM

Hi, I am arriving from Rishikesh, in north India. Are there any shops close by Unawatuna for swimwear?

3 Answers Jun 5, 2014 at 12:45 PM
    • Unawatuna hotels

by dashith Online Now Dec 24, 2013 at 6:05 AM

any place in unawatuna,sri lanka  where you can get a room just for a day. as in come in the morning and leave in the evening?

1 Answer Dec 24, 2013 at 6:49 AM
    • Direct beach access accommodation in Unawatuna or Hikkaduwa? (Not resorts)

by Miraasgaard Online Now Dec 8, 2013 at 11:59 AM

Hi, can anyone recommend a clean cabana/bungalow/hut with private shower that has direct access to the beach? Nearby restaurants, snorkeling facilities etc. would be a plus. Price range: 50-70 USD. Time: 15-17th january. Our ideal match Gallawatta is unfortunately booked.

• hanshek's Profile Photo

Accomodation on the beach

by hanshek Online Now Nov 26, 2013 at 1:32 PM

I tried to book accomodation were we stayed before in July last year, but during the Xmas season they require a stay of minimum 6 nights. Can you recommend any other accomodation on or very near to the beach for a family of 5 people.

• hanshek's Profile Photo

Hotel Thilak

by hanshek Online Now Nov 26, 2013 at 5:56 AM

Does anybody have the contact details of the Thilak hotel in Unawatuna?

3 Answers Nov 26, 2013 at 1:33 PM
    • Masha_M's Profile Photo

How crowded is Unawatuna now (in February)?

by Masha_M Online Now Oct 17, 2013 at 11:52 PM

Hi there, what would be the best beach to stay on with a two year old in Februray? We're "old backpackers" and prefer to avoid package tour masses and resort type of places. We'll also be travelling on a budget seeking some relaxed vibe and yoga classes if possible. Thanks for all your answers.

2 Answers Oct 20, 2013 at 9:53 PM
    • BUDGET ACCOMMODATION

by badali Online Now Sep 26, 2013 at 9:17 AM

PLEASE let me know safe accommodation around Unawatuna beach within arount US$ 25-30 for four of us (2 adults, 2 children) including home statys. If you can help KINDLY inform me e-mail etc. We shall be there for four days from 4th to 8th Jan, 2014. TRAVEL HAPPY.

yours always

badali

5 Answers Sep 28, 2013 at 2:42 AM
    • BUDGET ACCOMMODATION

by badali Online Now Sep 25, 2013 at 7:46 AM

WE ARE A FAMILY OF FOUR. SELF, WIFE, SON (14) AND DAUGHTER (5). WANT BUDGET ACCOMMODATION IN UNAWATUNA NEAR BEACH WITHIN US $ 25 FOR THE FAMILY. WHERE TO STAY? SAFETY IS IMPORTANT.

9 Answers Feb 7, 2014 at 4:40 AM
    • Condition of Unawatuna Beach

by glenngerryhill Online Now Sep 3, 2013 at 2:55 PM

We read that the beach has been wash away. As a place to relax after a tour, is it still an option?

3 Answers Feb 7, 2014 at 4:42 AM
    • coming for first time

by bala65 Online Now Oct 3, 2011 at 9:04 PM

we are three middle aged men coming to srilanka for a brief holiday for the first time. choose unawatuna.

can some one guide on the night life and related activities and any other info that could help.

• Unawatuna

by santhilatha Online Now Sep 18, 2010 at 7:18 AM

Hi there - How far is this hotel from the airport and is it beach front?

2 Answers Sep 18, 2010 at 9:37 AM
    • Unawatuna Hotels and Map

by sidabu Online Now Nov 26, 2008 at 12:55 AM

Hi,

We are a group of three going to unawatuna around Xmas time,is it imperative that we book accommodation prior to going or is there plenty available?would anyone know where i can find a detailed map of unawatuna with hotel listings?looked in google,not that helpful.appreciate your replies.
      Regards
      sid

2 Answers Dec 2, 2008 at 7:36 PM
    • Weather on the south coast

by tomgolanka Online Now Nov 24, 2008 at 3:34 AM

Hi everyone

My girlfriend and I are off to Sri Lanka on Saturday 29th Nov for two weeks. Had assumed the south-west was going to be clear of the monsoon but looks like it's still raining?

Can anyone give me an update on current weather conditions in Galle/Unawatuna?

I'm looking for a relaxing beach holiday so if anyone can recommend guaranteed sun somewhere else just let me know!

Cheers
      Tom

1 Answer Nov 24, 2008 at 9:35 PM
    • curious about Sri Gemunu hotel in Unawatuna

by JanetGolden Online Now Mar 31, 2008 at 8:03 AM

There are no reviews to read and I'm very skeptical about this place. Can you give me any feedback on Sri Gemunu? Is the air-con working? how is the beach in front? Is there really a reef to snorkel around there? Is the food decent?

2 Answers Jul 17, 2008 at 2:51 AM
    • Present situation update

by mikeytiger Online Now Oct 13, 2005 at 4:31 AM

Hi,
      Is there anyone who can give me an update on the present situation in the areas of Galle, Unawatuna, Dalawella, etc. I plan to come on vaccation in December but I need to know if things get back to normal slowly after the Tsunami in Dec 2004. I don´t want to see people suffering and trying to survive somehow whilst I am sitting on the beach relaxing! If this is the case I would rather donate the money for the trip. Don´t understand me wrong.......I simply just don´t like to make people feel bad because they are struggling and I am making holiday at the same time!I just want to be polite!
      So? Is Unawatuna ready for some tourists and visitors or would it be better to stay at home?? Greetings MIKE

10 Answers Oct 27, 2005 at 11:16 PM
    • August

by Hotspring Online Now Jul 19, 2005 at 6:06 AM

Hi

I am travelling to Sri Lanka in August. Flying into Colombo then heading to Kandy for a few days. We are then going to head to Arugam Bay and were thinking of heading to Unawatuna on the way back to Colombo for our flight home.

How are things after the Tsunami, are people happy to receive visitors yet? What is the weather like in August? Is there much accomodation available. Is the sea calm enough for snorkelling at that time of year and are there any good snorkelling spots? Is it possible to hire drivers from Arugam to Unawatuna or are there better methods of transport?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

1 Answer Jul 19, 2005 at 11:47 PM
    • RickSpangle's Profile Photo

Where to Stay

by RickSpangle Online Now Nov 18, 2004 at 1:13 AM

Hi there, Does anyone have any recommendations for nice (and fairly cheap) places to stay in Unawatuna? Going to stop there for 2-3 days in early Feb. I've heard the 3 Fishes is nice. Cheers, Nick.

1 Answer Nov 19, 2004 at 5:30 AM
    • Weather in May

by Sanpri Online Now May 15, 2004 at 7:31 AM

Hi there, My boyfriend and i were thinking of heading down to Mirissa and Unawatuna for a few weeks in the sun, at the end of May.....is it still possible to get down there or has everyone packed up for the end of the season? Whats the weather like at this time of year? (May 18th-beginning of June) And if these beaches are off peak, can you recommend some beaches on the East coast (not Arugam Bay and Trincomalee) Thanks

2 Answers May 23, 2004 at 12:07 PM
    • Rental

by KEGGY Online Now Mar 10, 2004 at 10:26 AM

Hi My family 2 teenage daughters and myself and wife will be in Sri Lanka in April We are looking for a reasonable bungalow for rent in or around the UNAWATUNA area from the 7th to the 14th of April We would like to be near or on the beach but pretty private if possible with somone close to hand for help with cooking and or buying groceries

1 Answer Mar 21, 2004 at 11:13 AM
    • children

by bopotnik Online Now Jul 15, 2003 at 2:37 PM

We are planning for a 2 months visit to sri lanka. We are traveling with 2 children, 2 years and 6 months. How is unuwatuna for children? Are the beaches safe. Swiming pool?

2 Answers Sep 25, 2003 at 4:17 AM