Unawatuna Travel Answers

change location

Present situation update

by mikeytiger Online Now Oct 13, 2005 at 4:31 AM

Hi,
Is there anyone who can give me an update on the present situation in the areas of Galle, Unawatuna, Dalawella, etc. I plan to come on vaccation in December but I need to know if things get back to normal slowly after the Tsunami in Dec 2004. I don´t want to see people suffering and trying to survive somehow whilst I am sitting on the beach relaxing! If this is the case I would rather donate the money for the trip. Don´t understand me wrong.......I simply just don´t like to make people feel bad because they are struggling and I am making holiday at the same time!I just want to be polite!
So? Is Unawatuna ready for some tourists and visitors or would it be better to stay at home?? Greetings MIKE

Quote & Answer
10 Answers
  • Oscar_Nonis's Profile Photo

RE: Present situation update

by Oscar_Nonis Online Now Oct 13, 2005 at 9:57 AM

I agreed with you.

I think most of problems of sheltering people solved. No people sitting on the beaches or roads.

Its hard to plan and get back to normal soon. Some people trying to show they lost everything and nothing to do and get some money from tourists. They take a big advantage to beg. Specially back-up of some politicians. Because opposition party wants to blame to present government and all politicians trying to blame each other and they money for their personal bank account.

I have been in south in last April and there are lots of places to stay and eat.

If you go there you wo'nt see the exact situation as past.

what I can do for you?

Oscar Nonis

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • RE: RE: Present situation update

by mikeytiger Online Now Oct 14, 2005 at 12:06 AM

Hi Oscar,
    thanks for your quick response! Still...............I´ve not got an answer which makes it easier for me to take a decision! Would you say that it is advisable to come to Sri Lanka for vaccation knowing that still people having a lot of problems? Do you really think one can enjoy holiday there? Since 8 years we have had our holidays always in the South of Sri Lanka (Unawatuna, Mirissa, Tangalle...) and we love the area very much, so staying further North or Negombo is NO option for us! What´s the present situation in Hikkaduwa???? Basically...................are the tourists coming back (slowly)???????? There is a lot of misinformation here in Europe, people don´t really know something about the actual situation despite the fact that the SL government asks the tourists to come back! It is hard to find pre-tsunami pictures on the internet e.g. pictures from the most affected areas in the South and East as they are NOW ( a few weeks before tourist season will start)! Believe me, this fact will hinder a lot of potential tourists to come to your beautiful country (at least for this year). Greetings from Austria MIKE

by mikeytiger Online Now Oct 14, 2005 at 12:09 AM

Oscar! Sorry I made a mistake! OF COURSE I MEAN THE POST-TSUNAMI SITUATION! MIKE

• DAVIDJSTOCKWELL's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Present situation update

by DAVIDJSTOCKWELL Online Now Oct 14, 2005 at 8:08 AM

Hi Mike
    I don't much about the areas that you mention, but i am going to Kalutura in just over 4 weeks, that is about 40 kms south of Colombo, and all is ok around that area, there is a website that may give you more info, so try this.
    http://www.srilankatourism.org
    It is the officil tourist board website, with up to date reports from various companies and hotels, so maybe you can find the answers you are looking for there.
    All the best for a great trip back to SL, they certainly need us all to go back at this time, and i am certain they will appreciated it.
    Dave
    London UK

by Oscar_Nonis Online Now Oct 14, 2005 at 11:10 AM

You are welcome

there are lots of tourists comes to Sri Lanka

What i said is - some people lying, trying to say they have problems. They wanna get some money from tourists.

Some hotels wanna charge extra

you can go in most of cities and enjoy as past.

Good Luck

• Maxus's Profile Photo

by Maxus Online Now Oct 14, 2005 at 1:58 PM

Mike,

I was in Sri Lanka when the Tsunami came and I went back again August. I can assure you that you will not be surrounded by people suffering but as Oscar said, some people might play on it a little. Of course its sad but people here are very resilient and have bounced back admirably. Spending your money thoughtfully here will be as good as giving it to charity.

Maxus

by Oscar_Nonis Online Now Oct 14, 2005 at 8:28 PM

I have been in South of Sri Lanka few times for help people and donate some stuffs.

SOME PEOPLE treats me as a foreigner and i heard what they talked and noticed what about there plans. I found some tourists who donated money to unwanted people and I have lots of evidence on this matter

but, I'm not complaining and there are lots of people who didnt got any good help. Specially some organisations also keep money with them, that some people donated for tsunami victims.

I'm pretty sure you can have a great time and no need to worry about anything.

• RE: Present situation update

by Tamara12 Online Now Oct 24, 2005 at 6:24 AM

Mike,

Be it before the Tsunami or after the Tsunami, you will ALWAYS see people suffering in Sri Lanka. it is a very very poor country. and becasue of the war which has been raging for 21 years, these are the effects from that war....

Children begging, Children with lost limbs, parents sending their children out to beg for money, people kid-knapping other people's children to pimp them around to beg for money....

i know it sounds really horrible... but what you must understand is that Sri Lanka and the people there have been living in hardship, and have been for a while.

if you dont want to see these kind of things, i advise you stick to Europe!

by Oscar_Nonis Online Now Oct 25, 2005 at 2:54 AM

I'm NOT Agreed with you Tamara

by mikeytiger Online Now Oct 27, 2005 at 11:16 PM

Hi Tamara,
    As said before, since 8 years we always had our winter holiday in Sri Lanka.....and that not as package tour tourists!!!!! We, have never been shocked by peoples behavior and accepted the situation as it was! And we really enjoyed it!! When being somewhere one always has to accept people as they are! We have travelled a lot in the past and openmindeness is NOT our problem! What I wanted to say is that having holiday in a country still suffering because of the Tsunami...................would not make us happy! Holiday is only a holiday for us if at least a bit normality is back (this includes begging people etc.)! Greetings MIKE

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines